Did you ride today?

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by John_V, Sep 1, 2012.

1. Dos_Ruedas

Dos_Ruedas Well-Known Member

Another morning ride for me today. I can see a trend starting. Better temps, less traffic and makes me happier throughout the day. It also has the added benefit of being able to sneak in an afternoon ride, if time allows. I haven’t done this yet, but the Magic 8 ball says the outlook is good.
    26 miles today and one turtle save

newleaf150, John_V and Merlincustom like this.
  2. rola643

rola643 Two skinny Js Staff Member Admin Staff Mod Team Tavern Member

I used to ride before work in the morning and loved it for the same reasons. It's been a big adjustment to ride in the evenings with tons of traffic, more heat and always, always more wind in the evening. :D

3. Merlincustom

Merlincustom Senior Member

I’ve always been a morning ride guy. I don’t think I’ve even started a ride after 9 am at the latest in the last 30 years.

rola643, Dos_Ruedas and John_V like this.
  4. Merlincustom

I’ve been working on getting my nutrition dialed for these trainer rides. I had a Skratch bar an hour before the workout, coffee 30 minutes before, and a gel in the first recovery valley, with a bottle of Heed for the duration. Felt pretty good.

3D9F5E5D-B8B6-47EB-A4DB-CC6D68AE9C67.png 171AE747-B541-4B85-8505-20077A314AE9.png

5. John_V

John_V Moderator Staff Member Mod Team Tavern Member

My first ride of the week; can you believe that? Really felt good to get pedaling again but most of the joy went when I hit the loop and it was wall to wall people. Many of them had to be first timers or can't read because there were hoards of people going the wrong way on the loop. Good thing for the housing development next to the park that gave me 10 miles away from the crowd. Still a good 40 mile ride. If it looks this crowded tomorrow, I'll do the route to US 301 that I did when the park was closed.

6. Dos_Ruedas

Hard to believe it’s Saturday and you got in your first ride of the week today John

John_V likes this.
  7. John_V

We just started our rainy season and hurricane season officially starts on Monday. We’ve had rain here almost every morning.

8. Merlincustom

Slacker!

Dos_Ruedas, John_V and rola643 like this.
  9. StormStrikes

StormStrikes Member

TR Bashful-3
    https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/5015229911

This was a manually added workout to the schedule, meaning, the workout plan they have me on did not include this. I like adding in shorter workouts in between the workouts they have scheduled. I'll see how next weeks hour and a half ride feels saddle wise and if it gives me issue I will likely drop that session down to an hour which has been a bit more managable.

Merlincustom and John_V like this.
  10. Merlincustom

End of the week. Easy rides all next week.

A75658CC-3A50-4073-8935-AD4491BA3260.jpeg E7E47553-3992-4395-AEE4-72157A461C6F.jpeg

John_V and rola643 like this.
  11. John_V

Started out to do a 40 mile ride this morning. Got to the park early and almost didn't find a parking spot. Looked like there were more people there today than yesterday. Met Frankie at the other end of the park and decided I really didn't want to deal with all those people so we decided to head out to US 301. Somewhere along that route, it dawned on me that I had committed to a 60 mile ride that I had to finish in order to get back to the van. Temps were in the low - mid 90s and the feels like temp was around 96º for a good part of the return trip. The ride was very slow because of the heat but there was just enough of a wind to keep us from getting overheated.

This was only my 3rd 60 mile ride this year. Last one was in Feb. On this day last year, I had done 9 and 23 for the year. I'm really slacking lately. :(

12. Dos_Ruedas

It was chilly this morning, so I lingered around the house awaiting the sun to pop over the hilltops and warm things up.
    When it reached 58*, I started to kit up. By the time I hit the road it was a balmy 60*.
    I hit my favorite loop for the first time this year (I’m slacking like John) and man was it fun!!

It never did warm up enough to take off long sleeves. Two days from now, it’s supposed to be in the mid 90s!!!

41 miles of sweetness today.

MilesR, Merlincustom and rola643 like this.
  13. rola643

rola643 Two skinny Js Staff Member Admin Staff Mod Team Tavern Member

Same here, I grabbed a hoodie for work yesterday morning. Pretty cool with a breeze, lil chilly up in the bucket early in day. Warmed nicely later.

It's forecast to be 91* Wednesday afternoon. Pretty awesome last night, slept with the windows open and the breezes blowing in of off the rivah made for prefect sleeping weather.

14. Merlincustom

An easy endurance hour today.
    CDDA04F8-2F60-4B2C-9C7F-D63252D83995.png

15. John_V

Checked the weather while eating breakfast and saw that rain was expected by 11:00 am. Took a chance and went for a solo ride to see if I could at least get in a 25 mile lap before the rain started. Mission accomplished.

Dos_Ruedas and Merlincustom like this.
  16. Dos_Ruedas

@ rola it’s been open window sleeping at my place for several days. Not much is better than sleeping with a cool breeze in the face from outdoors.

Today I called my Bride from the office at 12:30p to say I was going to ride within the hour.
    Five hours later, I walked out of the office frazzled. An hour after that, I finally rolled down the driveway. Unbelievable!!
    At least I was on two wheels spinning away from the troubles which held me hostage only hours ago.
    I choose a simple out n back. When I returned to the house, low and behold......there was my Bride astride one of the boy’s MTB. We spun a few miles around the park. What an awesome way to end a decent 29 mile ride.

17. John_V

Sleeping in Florida with a window open only happens if you don't have an air conditioner. Otherwise, your night would be miserable from the heat and humidity. However, I do occasionally have those nights when I get a cool breeze in the face. Then I tell my wife to roll over and point her CPAP in another direction. :D

Merlincustom, Dos_Ruedas and MilesR like this.
  18. Dos_Ruedas

19. StormStrikes

StormStrikes Member

TR Monitor
    https://connect.garmin.com/modern/dashboard/17419252

After being off the bike for a couple of days due to life things I fell behind in my TR workouts. I was finally able to do one tonight. My 'goal' is to try and catch up so I shifted one of the workouts to tomorrow, which would have otherwise been an off day. Not sure I will get it done, but that is the goal.

When I start turning the pedals during a workout, I find it rather aggravating to have to stop turning them before the workout is finished. I had a couple instances of that tonight. I had some minor issues getting comfortable on the saddle, which I realized tonight might be due to the stem length. I was paying attention to my position and where everything was settling and realized (why I had not looked at it before is beyond me) I can see the front axle sufficiently behind the handlebars. So I am going to order a 10mm shorter stem and see if that helps some.

Then I had a couple instances, due to the high cadence spins, where my calves started to cramp really late, like in the last interval, so I had to stop briefly to address that.

Other than that, it was a good workout.

20. Dos_Ruedas

A nice morning 19 miles today. I got it in before the 90’s and humidity started kicking!!!

Merlincustom and John_V like this.