Did you ride today?

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by John_V, Sep 1, 2012.

1. rola643

rola643 Two skinny Js Staff Member Admin Staff Mod Team Tavern Member

^Time for some rest.

John_V likes this.
  2. rola643

Set out with a goal of 150 watts @ 85 cadence. I needed to tone down some of the intensity of my rides of late. I came very, very close to my target goal. I kept having to remind myself to slow down the cadence and watch the power. I also set out to do one of my favorite out and back rides. Usually one way or the other you will have to bust your ass to make headway and today was as near perfect wind wise as I ever had on this ride.

IMG_1471.jpg IMG_1472.jpg

Even made a PR. Pissed myself off tho. At one point I was 3 seconds ahead of the KOM on a hill and crested still feeling good. Halfway through I was still ahead and thought I would catch a breathe and in that moment I went from +3 seconds to -6. I could never make all that back up! I could have easily had the KOM if my mindset would have been right!

StormStrikes, fpl1, maelochs and 3 others like this.

3. John_V

John_V Moderator Staff Member Mod Team Tavern Member

It’s ridiculously hot this week. We tied the record of 99° yesterday with a heat index of 104°. Today was a little better but not much. Wind was only 3-5 mph. Got in another very easy 51 miles with Frankie. I was actually wanting to do a metric but the heat changed my mind.

newleaf150, fpl1, maelochs and 4 others like this.
  4. Merlincustom

Merlincustom Senior Member

Spent 40 minutes at sweet spot today. Just what the doctor ordered after a hard Saturday ride.
    97A9423F-0DF9-4FBC-A70D-94CFF705798F.jpeg

fpl1, John_V, maelochs and 1 other person like this.
  5. John_V

80° at 0730 this morning. Should have given me a clue as to what was ahead. Good ride with my buddy Frank but it was a scorcher. Got in a nice 40 miles for the day.

6. rola643

Late afternoon storms made for a trainer ride. I'd forgotten how miserable the scenery is :D

7. Merlincustom

Yesterday and today. Chipmunks running into the garage saw me and scrammed.
    D5504D32-660C-478B-A650-71FBA17C7733.jpeg 62E4EE1A-AA67-44DF-8295-B998998799AB.png

maelochs and John_V like this.
  8. John_V

Today was going to be another 60 mile ride with Frankie. Got to the park this morning and it was heavily overcast with not much of a showing from the sun. Checked the weather and the rain changes were pretty high from 0900 on. Since Frankie hadn't left his house yet, I texted him and told him I decided to do a quick 25 before it started to rain. Set out and all was well until the last 5 miles. That's when it cleared up and the sun came out and the temperature made a drastic climb. Those last 5 miles were not pretty. Got to the van and packed it up with 25 miles for the day. It's now 11:30 and it hasn't rained yet but the temperature is a nice and warm 91º with a 102º heat index.

9. i12ride

i12ride Spin Spin Spin Tavern Member

Full midday sun............sigh............95 degrees.......sigh............humidity 100%..........sigh............heat index about 108............sigh.........wind S/SE 15-20 gusting to 25........sigh.......Saharan dust..........sigh........I love gulf coast summers! You bet your @55 I rode and rode with complete abandon and full shenaniganery.......in long sleeve 50 spf even. :D:(:confused::oops::):mad::rolleyes::cool:.......and I'll do it again every chance I get!!!!!!!!!!!! o_Oo_Oo_O

maelochs, Merlincustom and John_V like this.
  10. Merlincustom

11. Dos_Ruedas

Dos_Ruedas Well-Known Member

Both yesterday and today’s rides have left me perplexed.
    I normally get a high just thinking about getting out for a ride, but the last two days it took effort just to kit up.
    I hope whatever it is goes away soon. I want to look forward to The Ride again.

12. John_V

Temps in the high 70s, blue skies, lots of sun and rain. Got to the park this morning for a nice 40 mile ride with Frank C and all was looking good. Headed out to the other end of the park when out of nowhere, it starts to rain. It wasn't very heavy but enough to get you wet. Made it to one of the water kiosks and waited for it to stop. Got to the west parking lot and checked the weather and radar and it showed more rain headed my way. Since I have a compromised immune system, as it is, I can't afford to get sick, especially now, so I went back to the van while Frank continued riding. On the way back, I got rained on again. I'm hoping my immune system doesn't fail me over the next day or two. Ended up with 15 miles.

13. i12ride

i12ride Spin Spin Spin Tavern Member

angled mid morning sun......okish...........way less wind....not helpful for "cooling"........"only" 85 degrees.....sure, a micro bit better......heat index "only" 97......woohoo.............humidity....%1000..........overall, a soaking sweaty eye burning thigh burning social distancing festival of miserable exhuberent move busting holiday fun. Red helmet, white rashguard, blue lens shades and blue trimmed gloves. Shower, breakfast and lounging in AC feelin pretty good about now. Happy 4th ever1!!!!!

14. StormStrikes

StormStrikes Member

Attached Files:

Merlincustom and John_V like this.
  15. Merlincustom

Yesterday and today.

DA84DA04-EA7D-4DC7-AB29-EF5E17910508.png B813E07E-9E1B-4929-A588-3C29FFBD16E3.jpeg

John_V and maelochs like this.
  16. maelochs

maelochs Old, fat, and slow

I caught whatever you caught.

Riding has been a struggle for the past several months .... finally, in May, I did 300 miles ... which used to be my monthly minimum, until about the end of 2019 or something.

Then, in June ... weather has been really amazing. Even when we have had rain, it hasn't turned the air to soup, but actually cooled everything off. I have been able to turn the A/C off a few nights .... and to sit outside and meditate, without dripping sweat and sticking to everything. While a few late morning-to-rearly evening periods have been uncomfortable, nothing unrideable, and most days have had several hours of excellent cycling weather.

But i haven't been riding.

i got all the parts and got all my bikes fixed. Everything is in prime shape for riding. The local MTB trails have reopened, if I didn't feel like road rides.

But I haven't really felt it ... at all. I think i did 109 miles in June and maybe none so far in July.

it's weird.

Glad the rest of you are staying strong.

17. John_V

I think it’s contagious! I get up some mornings, like Saturday, and just don’t feel like doing anything but sleeping. And that’s even with a good nights sleep. Seems to be happening more frequently.

I have been riding but it’s way off my normal. The lockdowns from CV-19 didn’t help as I was staying home trying to balance riding with decreased exposure. Now, we’re in our rainy season and we’ve had high chances of rain for the past three days. As it turned out, it didn’t rain yesterday but would have had I decided to go riding. Giving it a shot this morning before the rain is supposed to get here.

Dos_Ruedas likes this.
  18. John_V

Went out this morning for a solo ride hoping to do a nice 40 miles. Got rained on close to the water kiosk on the second lap. Waited for it to stop raining, turned around and came home. Got in 32 miles. Must have put on the wrong pair of legs this morning because the ones I had weren't working well.

Merlincustom and MilesR like this.