Did you ride today?

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by John_V, Sep 1, 2012.

1. Dos_Ruedas

Dos_Ruedas Well-Known Member

Hang on and we’ll ride this storm together.
    I believe it’s a CV19 side effect.

John_V likes this.
  2. John_V

John_V Moderator Staff Member Mod Team Tavern Member

Another rained out ride but I did manage to get 25 very hot and muggy miles in this morning. Heading back to the van for my 1st lap break, I noticed it was getting darker out. Then I started hearing thunder. Packed it up and headed home. It was a good call because I ran into rain about half mile from the park entrance.

newleaf150 and Merlincustom like this.

3. Dos_Ruedas

Barely got a ride in today. Thunder storms all around. I could go nowhere, so i did hill repeats near the house...... beside a wastewater planet. Yuck!!

Merlincustom and John_V like this.
  4. MilesR

MilesR Mom's Taxi Tavern Member

^
    Bet that cleared the sinuses.

Dos_Ruedas and John_V like this.
  5. John_V

I think that would be one of the very few times I would prefer to ride a trainer. :D

MilesR, Dos_Ruedas and Merlincustom like this.
  6. John_V

Thought I would get out this morning and try and get at least 30 miles in before it started to rain again. Met Frank C and we took off. Made it to the service road for the west parking lot when Frank slowed down to go around some walkers. I moved to his left to avoid hitting his rear wheel when he suddenly moved left hitting my front and CRASH!

Now I have a nice hematoma on my left elbow, a small one over my left eye and one on my hip where I landed. Road rash was minimal but I did bang my shoulder up. Nothing broken but I’m sure I pulled some neck and shoulder muscles. No injury to the bike but my helmet cracked in four places and the left lens of my glasses got pretty scratched up; which probably accounts for the hematoma over my eye caused from the glasses. So I’ll probably not be riding for a few days but at least I got in 10 miles for the day. I really didn’t feel anything concerning on the 4 mile ride back to the car. My only concern at this point is a post crash concussion from hitting my head on the pavement. I’ll certainly be watching out for signs in the next several hours. Just one more argument for wearing helmets.

7. Merlincustom

Merlincustom Senior Member

^Sorry to hear. You'll likely feel worse tomorrow. Get well soon.

John_V likes this.
  8. John_V

Just had X-rays done. Nothing broken, mostly muscular. Still hurts like hell. Yep! Tomorrow’s going to be worse. Good thing I’m retired and don’t have a job to go to.

newleaf150, MilesR and Dos_Ruedas like this.
  9. Dos_Ruedas

Man John. That really stinks. How’s Frank C.?
    Any chance you two bowling balls took out the walking pins?

John_V and MilesR like this.
  10. Dos_Ruedas

I took off knowing it was hot and somewhat humid, but hey!... I’m a man, that won’t bother me.

Yeah RIGHT!!
    Within 10 miles, i was feeling it. Still, i thought I’d get in a metric today, because i finally had a the time.
    Unfortunately, as the temps climbed, my energy and speed went down. Even though i saw it happening, i was helpless to do a thing about it.
    STILL, i planned to finish the metric.... until i stopped having coherent thoughts. When i caught it the second time, i knew i was going to stop early.

Now I’m in a cool lodge room about to nap before dinner.

I can’t wait for temps to from 20+ deg.

Merlincustom, John_V and MilesR like this.
  11. kneedrachen

kneedrachen Moderator Mod Team Tavern Member

Damn, @John_V , glad you are relatively unscathed.

John_V and MilesR like this.
  12. rola643

rola643 Two skinny Js Staff Member Admin Staff Mod Team Tavern Member

I have a little video I’m sending you via FB messenger later that might help you through this /)

John_V likes this.
  13. John_V

So. last night, while having dinner, I'm talking to the wife about the crash when all of a sudden it dawns on me, "Hey! I can still ride and not worry about falling and re-injuring the shoulder." Now all I have to do is figure out how to get the trike out of the van without causing too much pain to the shoulder. I'll give it few days before I figure out a way. :D

14. Merlincustom

Merlincustom Senior Member

E2FA9FDE-DAC3-48CE-8AFE-2243796E7F92.jpeg BE8E7D78-00AF-434C-AEA7-4C292382C627.jpeg Thursday and today. Same FTP today as the test 8 weeks ago.

maelochs, rola643 and John_V like this.
  15. Dos_Ruedas

First a Legend now a bump on the head and he’s a genius.
    What’s next John?

16. John_V

So here it is, 4 days post crash and everything seems to be healing up well except for the shoulder. For the most part, it doesn't really hurt or bother me but then I go ahead and do something stupid that extends the arm or puts it in a slightly awkward position and BOOM! Then I have to put the arm in a sling until the pain goes away. There's only so much ibuprofen you can take in a day. :(

rola643 and Merlincustom like this.
  17. MilesR

For the first time in I don't know when I got the road bike out and did a short ride around town. Definitely need to stretch out the thigh muscles. If I had done the ride in Florida, I would have been considered a mountain goat. I climbed 20 feet!

18. John_V

20 feet in this part of Florida and you would be considered a climbing legend. :D

kneedrachen, rola643 and MilesR like this.
  19. John_V

Finally got a ride in this morning. First one since the crash. Since I can't put any weight on the shoulder (i.e. no handlebars), I opted to take the wife's trike out for a spin. It's been over a year since I've ridden the trike and the ride didn't come without issues.

My biggest issue was whether or not I could get the trike in and out of the van by myself. That went great! No problems with the shoulder. It was actually easier getting the trike in the van than getting it out of the van.

I did remember to bring my backup helmet but forgot my backup sunglasses. My helmet cracked in four places and the left lens on my glasses got really scratched up during the crash. I had to wear my regular glasses (transitions) for the ride. Problem was the bifocal lens. On the trike, in order to see, I had to bring my chin against my chest or the natural position on the trike seat would have me looking through the reading lens which makes everything a blur. Having the chin against my chest didn't do a thing for my breathing except impede it and it also caused gastric reflux during most of the ride.

The metal tubing of the seat didn't play well with the healing road rash on my left hip unless I slid down the seat a bit. That made legs work a bit harder by being closer to the pedals. And that brings up the different muscle group that's used when pedaling outward instead of downward. It's been a while since I've used those muscles.

All in all, it was a nice 15 mile ride staying in the park. I might do the housing complex tomorrow and try for a 25 mile ride.

20. MilesR

John, it is quite flat in Salinas, CA. I think most of the elevation gain was from riding over bad pothole patches in the street.

kneedrachen, John_V and rola643 like this.