Did you ride today?

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by John_V, Sep 1, 2012.

1. John_V

John_V Moderator Staff Member Mod Team Tavern Member

Got on the trike and rollers this morning for a 15 virtual mile ride. It’s been a while since I rode on that combination. Had a few issues that I totally forgot about since the last time I rode the trike on rollers. The rear wheel, when on the rollers, brings the boom closer to the ground which causes my heels to hit the floor. Had to remember to keep my feet in a certain position to keep that from happening. Second, there are no brake locks on the front brakes. Had to keep the brakes depressed the entire time I was pedaling. That caused me to have to stop more often because it was putting pressure on my left shoulder. Plan on trying again tomorrow, even though it was very boring and felt like I was on the trike forever. Have to figure out a way to correct those problems, too.

kneedrachen likes this.
  2. i12ride

i12ride Spin Spin Spin Tavern Member

Pre-hurricane galavant closeups of a crazyhorse.......typical shenanigans apply

10820FC1-ACC4-43FC-894E-45A7D95B739B.jpeg E1FD2E10-AFF1-482E-BB87-C3C6991A4A6A.jpeg 884751E5-321D-4EE6-9C88-742B6817D9AB.jpeg 51704303-97DF-45EE-A2D4-7C7D77FE0ABF.jpeg

3. newleaf150

newleaf150 Deranged Touring Cyclist Tavern Member

July has been rough in terms of mileage, while still offering some great rides. Mrs. Newleaf and I spent a weekend in Glenwood Springs in the CO mountains just off I-70. This section of the interstate was only completed in 1992 and is considered an engineering marvel.

What does this have to do with bicycling? Everything! When this section of freeway was built, a bike path was also laid down, one which followed parts of the original road route. The canyon is narrow, with high, rocky walls and a fast flowing river in the middle. The Interstate is worth driving in its own right: absolutely amazing.

Amazing as the drive is, it's got nothing on the bike path! The interstate lanes run high overhead, opposing lanes sometimes running joined, other times splitting off eastbound from west, supported by enormous pylons and the walls of the canyon itself. In places the traffic lanes are 50+' above ground level. The bike path runs just above the river, dodging amongst the pylons.

It's flatly eerie to ride alongside and under an Interstate with minimal, if any traffic noise. The fast flowing river simply drowns it out. Likewise, the combination of natural scenery and mega scale engineering is both magnificent and unique in my experience. I've wanted to ride this trail since first seeing it some years ago. The wait was worth it. What a ride!

4. i12ride

i12ride Spin Spin Spin Tavern Member

Today was tropical downpour, thunder in the distance, breezy, soul cleansing, glorious comfortable temps, perfect, refreshing ride on the yellow submarine gripshift 1x8 amphibious 26er............

20170827_150737.jpg

Clean dry pic............

20190712_152536.jpg

Have had this bike in some form or another since 2001. First disc brake frame build.......

SG_06.jpg

First taste of snow 7 yrs into it's existence. Still kicks @55, even for being an online bikeshop frame.

SGss_16.JPG
    Single speed v-brake setup out in the wild............

Lovin the current 1x8 setup even more than the 3x9 or ss setups of it's past. The submersible Altec Lansing bluetooth speaker and iheart on fon in ziploc made today's ride even more awesome. I dig ridin in the rain to music.....so theraputic..........and bonus is all the social distancing slalom cones run home and hide from the rain so I had the whole place to myself......so b1tch1n!!!!

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
    maelochs, newleaf150 and John_V like this.
  5. John_V

Another day on the rollers, another 15 virtual miles. Really boring but.... Wanting to go a little faster than 12-13 mph but that causes the trike to start shaking since the front wheels are locked. For as long as I've been riding at Flatwoods, I have distances to all the markers memorized. Riding the trike, I look at the mileage and correlate it to Flatwoods and it's like, "Crap, I haven't even gotten to (insert marker)." :(

No shoulder pain yesterday and today. I'm hoping this continues so that I can switch from the trike to my bike on a trainer. Can't extend the arm and put pressure on the shoulder but I'm hoping to be able to use the aerobars.

6. newleaf150

Another year, another birthday ride. Needed 46mi this year, got 59mi. All of it towing canine companion Chip in his trailer. My younger brother accompanied me for the first 40mi, but he has hardly seen the saddle this year, and the mileage was a bit much for him.

That sadly meant that he missed the stop at Andy's, a local frozen custard place, at mile 59. I had a malt and Chip had a doggie cone. Good times. Better in that I texted Mrs. Newleaf for a pickup while still inbound. I hate to cut a ride short that way, but my mileage estimate proved flawed and I wanted to keep the ride fun.

7. John_V

Did another indoor trike ride yesterday; same 15 virtual miles. Not too exciting pedaling a trike that goes nowhere and watching true crime shows on TV. How you guys do these longer rides on Zwift and Trainer Road and keep your sanity?

8. rola643

rola643 Two skinny Js Staff Member Admin Staff Mod Team Tavern Member

Head down and AC/DC loud :D

9. John_V

Another day on the trike. I think I'm finally starting to get my bent legs working. Went up one on the chain ring and kept it pretty much between 14 and 16 mph; except when something that I didn't want to miss came on the TV show I was watching. Another virtual 15 miles. Can't wait for this shoulder to heal.

10. maelochs

maelochs Old, fat, and slow

Why do you assume they have kept their sanity? :D

11. Dos_Ruedas

Dos_Ruedas Well-Known Member

12. Merlincustom

Merlincustom Senior Member

I approach indoors as structured training. I'm too old to get faster, so the goal is to slow the inevitable decline. High intensity interval training keeps VO2 max at its height. I'm highly motivated, which helps. I use Spotify with earbuds, which helps. I'm in a garage with the door open, which helps. I've got two fans on me in the summer, which helps. I work hard to keep my watts on target and ride easy when the watts are lower. I feel good when I hit all the numbers. I feel good when I fail a workout because my reach that day exceeded my grasp, usually due to poor sleep, poor nutrition, inadequate recovery, or some unknown reason. I'm into the process of riding. I'm using the virus as an opportunity to train in ways I wouldn't have otherwise to see where that takes me. I'm into the science of sport. I've been riding non-stop for 45 years.

kneedrachen and John_V like this.
  13. newleaf150

23mi on the folding MTB today, pulling canine companion Chip. The morning was magnificent, even if the ozone alert made breathing more difficult than usual.

14. rola643

18 trainer miles. After the last few days of 12 hours shifts of storm recovery and splicing all day in the wretched heat, more the humidity I guess, get out of the truck and just drip sweat...feeling a little depleted

Last edited: Aug 12, 2020 at 8:34 PM
  15. John_V

Another 15 trainer miles. I think my legs are starting to get used to the trike since my speeds are starting to get faster. Not as much muscle soreness when I ride. I think I'll do one more trike ride before trying a trainer ride on the road bike. Seems like the shoulder doesn't hurt when I lean on my elbows so I'll see how far I can go on the aerobars.

16. rola643

Got a wee bit behind on hydration today. Somewhere about mile 30 I realized I'd only drank about 1/2 of one water bottle. I'm pretty consistent in that regard. 2 water bottles in the time frame. Got a little left calf cramp, easy enough to ride through but I got a couple of nice twinges about mile 35-40 that worried as these were on my in thigh, the kind that stand you straight up out of the saddle. Slowed a bit and spun to get through it and proved to be no big issue :D

Screen Shot 2020-08-09 at 2.34.28 PM.png

Dos_Ruedas and John_V like this.
  17. John_V

Was going to do my last trike ride before trying the road bike. Moved the bike to its location and when I placed the rollers under the rear wheel, I noticed it was flat. A flat on rollers?? Soooo, I changed the tube with one good arm trying not to mess up the injured shoulder. Got that done and went to ride. Got about 3 miles into the ride and just didn’t have the will to go any farther. Not a good day.

newleaf150, maelochs and Dos_Ruedas like this.
  18. kneedrachen

kneedrachen Moderator Mod Team Tavern Member

19. kneedrachen

kneedrachen Moderator Mod Team Tavern Member

Trying to decide if I am riding Zwift exclusively because of CoVID or I don't have any friends.

I should trademark the above and make a meme.

newleaf150, maelochs, John_V and 3 others like this.
  20. FRISKY

FRISKY Maturity Challenged

FRISKYette and I rode 2 1/2 miles today. She was on her new Ebike and I used the Kestrel Legend SL.

I love the Kestrel. It is like riding a jet powered feather.

maelochs, kneedrachen, John_V and 2 others like this.