Did you ride today?

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by John_V, Sep 1, 2012.

1. John_V

John_V Moderator Staff Member Mod Team Tavern Member

I was set to do a makeup trike ride this morning since I missed out yesterday. Last night, the wife and I are sitting down watching TV when we suddenly hear this pffffft sound. Couldn't figure it out until I walked by the trike and there it was, another flat, rear tire. That was the last spare tube she had so I have to run by the bike shop and get some rim tape, some tubes and a patch kit. Gonna take out the old rim tape to check all the nipples and see if one of them has a sliver poking through the tape that I can't see.

In the meantime, I'll bring in the bike and try and get some miles going and see how the shoulder holds up on the handlebars and the aerobars. If I don't have a flat on the bike, that is!

2. FRISKY

FRISKY Maturity Challenged

FRISKYette and I did another 2 1/2 miles today. Thank goodness she has the electric bike or her medical condition would keep her from riding at all.

It was a typical 96* summer day in Oklahoma with a 20mph (30mph gust) headwind, but pedal assistance from the E bike let her ride at normal speed.

3. rola643

rola643 Two skinny Js Staff Member Admin Staff Mod Team Tavern Member

Another ride with more than 1/2 of it spent in a headwind but quite honestly the crosswinds and gusts sucked worse last night. It would hit the wheels and just push me a round :D
    Screen Shot 2020-08-12 at 4.48.43 AM.png

4. John_V

Working with the wheel from hell. Three tubes and three slow leaks from punctures in three different places. They seem to hold air for about an hour or so and then eventually go flat. Used up two new and one patched tube. Just patched the third tube (one of the new ones) this morning to see if it will hold. I've checked the inside of the wheel and the rim tape with a cotton ball to see if anything grabs the cotton and nothing. No burrs on the rim nothing on the tire that would cause a puncture. I'm running out of tubes and patches and really getting pi$$ed. :mad:

newleaf150 and rola643 like this.
  5. rola643

That's an odd for sure, I would have said pinch flats but I'd have to guess not with that many tries. Did you do the same with the tire? No tiny burs poking through the rubber of the tire ? Maybe try swapping tires from one side to other?

John_V likes this.
  6. Merlincustom

Merlincustom Senior Member

Time to go for a run.

John_V likes this.
  7. John_V

I've run a cotton ball through the wheel and tire several times and couldn't see anywhere that the cotton came off and got hung up. It's been weird and frustrating. Not sure what the heck is going on. The tire in question is the 26", rear tire. it goes on and off the wheel super easily without the use of tire levers. In fact, you barely need any real pressure to mount/dismount the tire. On this tire, you can put a little air in the tube and insert the tube completely in the tire before mounting it. With the tube in the tire, you can see the tire beads touching each other so any tube sticking out would be easily noticed. The last tube I used was brand new. It held for about two hours and went flat. When I took the tube out, there was actually a small slit in the tube vs a puncture. Got that patched and mounted it yesterday. Inflated it and let it stand overnight and so far it's holding. Lost about the normal psi for an overnight but it hasn't gone flat. I'll see how long this lasts. Going to try a trike ride this morning.

newleaf150 and Dos_Ruedas like this.
  8. John_V

And the saga continues...... Tube was holding fine this morning. Put the wheel on the trike and did a 15 virtual mile ride while attempting to watch TV. Started out watching The Closer and then Rizzoli and Isles (I love Angie Harmon). Got done with the ride and all was well. Sitting down having lunch with the wife and pffft. Back tire goes flat. Another small slit that was nowhere near the last one or any location of the others punctures on the other tubes I threw away. Today's slit was right next to the valve stem and couldn't be patched.

Took the rim tape off and got out my handy dandy dremel tool with a with brush and went over each of the nipple heads to take off any burrs that may have caused the issue. Put new rim tape (Velox High Resistance Cloth Tape) and so far it's holding. Time will tell.

newleaf150, Dos_Ruedas and rola643 like this.
  9. maelochs

maelochs Old, fat, and slow

I had the same issue a few months back. I don't have a Dremel so I used sandpaper, new tape .... also pulled out the Panaracer flat-barrier and put in a Tuffy. No issues so far.

Dos_Ruedas and John_V like this.
  10. i12ride

i12ride Spin Spin Spin Tavern Member

no pedal.....paddle......taking granddaughter out in kayaks in the morning before 100 happens. We might ride tomorrow evening or sunday before she goes home......

6DBF82B3-2A48-4C8B-844A-CE0841777F39.jpeg

flan48, maelochs, newleaf150 and 2 others like this.
  11. John_V

Either this wheel is possessed or there is some force in the universe that doesn't want me riding this trike. After applying new rim tape and a new tube, it held air for the rest of Thursday and most of yesterday. Yesterday afternoon, I'm sitting in the kitchen, while on my laptop, and I hear the air come out of the tube. Remove the tube, inflate it a little and put it in the sink and found the leak coming from the base of the valve stem. That's two brand new tubes, form different manufacturers, with valve stem leaks; one Shrader and one presta. I'm about to say the hell with it and put the trike back in the van and set up my road bike on the trainer and worry about the shoulder later. :mad:

newleaf150 likes this.
  12. Dos_Ruedas

Dos_Ruedas Well-Known Member

Maybe a burr on the wheels stern exit?

John_V likes this.
  13. rola643

IMG_1929.jpg It'a rained all week here, every...single...phucking...day...so I rode the new France route in Zwift. What a kick in da nutz that was :D Start out on a 6% grade and did nothing but climb for the next 1 hour and 54 minutes for 4734 ft of climb. Now that may not be much but for this flat lander from the right coast...that was plenty. I swear it was 80% 11% grade most of the way so when I hit the 5-7% grades it was the only time I could even try and recover a little :D

It's not really the climb people like because that's shear agony :D It's the fun, fast ride back down that makes it worth the work to get up :D

14. MilesR

MilesR Mom's Taxi Tavern Member

Your bike is leaking.

15. i12ride

i12ride Spin Spin Spin Tavern Member

I thought from the pic the story was headed towards trainer blew up and dumped fluid.

MilesR, rola643 and John_V like this.
  16. Merlincustom

Merlincustom Senior Member

I thought the story was it rained in the house and look at this puddle.

Dos_Ruedas, John_V and rola643 like this.
  17. rola643

Essentially it did :D

Dos_Ruedas, John_V and Merlincustom like this.
  18. newleaf150

newleaf150 Deranged Touring Cyclist Tavern Member

This reminds me more and more of a situation I faced earlier in the year with my Sun recumbent: after better than 1k mi with no flats or issues, the rear tire began flatting almost like clockwork. I'd replace the tube, inflate, and within 12-24hrs, it'd be flat again. Different failure points, no obvious problems with wheel, rim tape, etc.

The problem appears to have been the wheel itself. The rim subsequently bulged and began to physically split. It was only then I remembered that I had faced a similar series of flats on my touring bike a few years ago. They were ultimately resolved by retensioning and truing the wheel.

I have hesitated to say anything because I can't point to a specific causal factor in either case. That said, the correlation between a series of mysterious flats and having the wheel rebuilt or replaced is, for me, strong.

Whatever it is, I hope you're able to get it resolved. Flats are frustrating enough when they stay fixed for a bit between hissing noises. What you face is enough to drive one to distraction :mad:.

Dos_Ruedas and John_V like this.
  19. John_V

Mounted the last spare tube for that wheel that I had on Saturday. I had the tube inflicted to 20 psi for about 4 hours before putting in the tire, then mounted the wheel and inflated it to 50 psi. I let it sit for another 4 hours and inflated it to the full 80 psi and let it sit overnight. It sat all day yesterday without losing pressure. The wife and I had an ophthalmologist appointment at 9:30 this morning so I didn’t get to put the wheel on the trike but the tube held. It’s now 4:30 in the afternoon and it’s still holding. I’ll put it on the trike before I go to bed and hopefully get a ride in the morning. Now I have to go back to the shop and get more tubes.

flan48, Dos_Ruedas and newleaf150 like this.
  20. John_V

Another 15 virtual miles this morning on the trike. Watching two episodes of The Closer that I hadn't seen before so most of the riding was done during commercial breaks.

Yes! The tire that I put on the trike on Sunday has held and no more than the normal air loss has occurred. Hoping this one will last until I can get down to the LBS and pick up a few more spares.

newleaf150, Dos_Ruedas and maelochs like this.