Did you ride today?

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by John_V, Sep 1, 2012.

1. newleaf150

newleaf150 Deranged Touring Cyclist Tavern Member

Yikes, here's hoping it's not that last! Hang in there.

John_V likes this.
  2. newleaf150

newleaf150 Deranged Touring Cyclist Tavern Member

No ride today, but I made it out for 13mi yesterday. The air was as clear as it's been in recent weeks, but my breathing remains a challenge. It was still good to get out and enjoy the sunlight for a bit.

John_V, maelochs and MilesR like this.

3. Dos_Ruedas

Dos_Ruedas Well-Known Member

John_V likes this.
  4. maelochs

maelochs Old, fat, and slow

Thank you, sir. I am back on the bike after seven days off. Still some deep road rash but not enough to stop me.

Stuff like this makes me really appreciate those pro tour riders who crash going twice as fast and ride another 100 miles, then another two weeks.

5. John_V

John_V Moderator Staff Member Mod Team Tavern Member

Another 50 mile ride with Frankie. Since there is no C2C this year I can’t use it to do my birthday miles, I need to get in a few more 50s and one or two sixty milers before attempting a 74 mile ride. It’s going to be a late birthday miles ride but it will get done.

6. Germanrazor

Germanrazor Well-Known Member

Yippers, ahead of a cold front. Recovery ride to give legs a break from pushing out some climbs and trying to beat overall routine ride records.

Cold ride anticipated for tomorrow but plenty of sunshine. May have to wear the long tights for the first time.

7. John_V

A good 41 mile ride with my buddy Craig, from my C2C group. Left from his house and rode down to the Davis Island Yacht Club. Stopped at a trendy, outdoor Biestro for lunch. Yeah! Slightly pricey.

8. Germanrazor

Trendy usually equates to pricey....LOL

As long as good, I never mind paying a bit more.

fpl1, rola643 and John_V like this.
  9. Germanrazor

A almost 20 miler today with about 53 degree temps. Not the coldest I have ever ridden in (31 degrees years ago on Thanksgiving when I lived in the mountains), but definitely chilly. Thermal tights with a non-thermal LS jersey was the right choice.

Made this a moderate recovery ride and did not get on the flats or downhills too hard. I mainly concentrated my efforts and HR elevation to standing climbs. Just 1540 feet of climbing and 20 miles almost in just a hair over 1 hour.

I think I could have done 1 hour or just a hair under if I had assaulted the flats and downhills too. Just wanted to enjoy that Carolina blue sky and crisp air.

newleaf150, fpl1, John_V and 3 others like this.
  10. i12ride

i12ride Spin Spin Spin Tavern Member

An unshaven old guy on a black mtb left a wake of WJH (wut just happened)expressions on young and old faces alike while hyper social distancing. I have no idea who it was. :oops: Great to hear parents telling their kids NOT to even think about doing that kind of stuff on your bike while climbing up out of ravine meant for drainage.....not to mention whatever was said about all the airborne spots along the way. :D or maybe it was all about the inspirational empowering christian music playing on my bluetooth speaker. who knows? All I know was it was great temps, low wind and the bike just took over. I was just hangin on and trying to not scream with joy.....figured that woulda been a bit much.o_O

fpl1, Dos_Ruedas, John_V and 2 others like this.
  11. maelochs

Spreading the good word through extreme craziness? Could be a thing. Before long you will have a Sunday morning riding show, perhaps. As for screaming ... screaming in tongues might be acceptable.

Scaring the parents though .... I guess it would have to be the i12ride Youth Ministry.

newleaf150, Dos_Ruedas and John_V like this.
  12. rola643

rola643 Two skinny Js Staff Member Admin Staff Mod Team Tavern Member

I did but more to the point when I was in Strava I seriously had to laugh at my buddies ride today :D
    Screen Shot 2020-10-19 at 2.02.18 PM.png

So I named my ride "Apparently better than @ Andy's ride" :D

Germanrazor, fpl1, Dos_Ruedas and 2 others like this.
  13. i12ride

i12ride Spin Spin Spin Tavern Member

They seemed more confused than scared......

John_V likes this.
  14. Dos_Ruedas

Yes sir. It’s right about time for tights she long sleeves again.

fpl1, John_V and Germanrazor like this.
  15. maelochs

Where I live we are in that time of year when a ride in light rain is actually refreshing ....

newleaf150, fpl1, Dos_Ruedas and 3 others like this.
  16. John_V

This morning was perfect for a bike ride. Temps in the 70s and overcast with a 5mph wind. Couldn't pass it up. Set out to do a nice 40 miler but on the way back to the parking lot, on the first lap, something happened to cut my ride short.

Riding along, an insect smacks me on my cheek, under my wrap-around sunglasses. Somehow, it managed to get in between my left eye and my glasses and stung the crap out of me before I could get my glasses off and swat it away. It didn't take long for it to start swelling so I stopped at one of the water stations and soaked my doorag and placed ice cold water on it for about 5 minutes. It helped to keep the eye open long enough for me to get back to the van where I had some Benedryl. Or so I thought. So, that ended the ride and I came home and took some Benedryl. I now have a nice puffy area under my left eye but it isn't swollen shut. At least I can still see out of it.

17. Merlincustom

Merlincustom Senior Member

And you didn't get a flat.

John_V, MilesR, rola643 and 1 other person like this.
  18. Dos_Ruedas

^ ..... and since you can see, we expect you on the bike bright and early tomorrow.

19. Dos_Ruedas

Between lack of time and motivation, I've ridden little the past couple weeks.
    I did struggle onto the bike today for 32 miles though.

John_V, MilesR and rola643 like this.
  20. maelochs

Dude, you are the unrivaled king of cycling drama. We could start a thread, "Will John_V finish a ride this week?" or a pool on what will stop you. "Who had volcano?"

I cannot like these posts, but I really enjoy them, even though they are tragic.