Two Spoke Forums banner

17261 - 17280 of 17472 Posts

·
Old, fat, and slow
742 Posts
Yeah .... one of those days when the legs and lungs were definitely not feeling it, but it was fun even though it sort of sucked.

We are deep into Fall weather---82 degrees, some clouds, 13 mph wind ..... Can't ask for much more. I deliberately rode a hilly route and I didn't even regret it .... but some of the snails who passed me probably made rude remarks. I don't speak snail, so .....

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,144 Posts
This morning was perfect for a bike ride. Temps in the 70s and overcast with a 5mph wind. Couldn't pass it up. Set out to do a nice 40 miler but on the way back to the parking lot, on the first lap, something happened to cut my ride short.

Riding along, an insect smacks me on my cheek, under my wrap-around sunglasses. Somehow, it managed to get in between my left eye and my glasses and stung the crap out of me before I could get my glasses off and swat it away. It didn't take long for it to start swelling so I stopped at one of the water stations and soaked my doorag and placed ice cold water on it for about 5 minutes. It helped to keep the eye open long enough for me to get back to the van where I had some Benedryl. Or so I thought. So, that ended the ride and I came home and took some Benedryl. I now have a nice puffy area under my left eye but it isn't swollen shut. At least I can still see out of it.
I've had some annoying insect stings while riding, but nothing close to this! That's a nasty one.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,144 Posts
First mileage since the middle of October. It was good to get out. Canine companion Chip was overjoyed. He enjoyed 1.5mi of running, spent the rest of the ride inspiring coos from passers by.

13mi hasn't cost me that much in a long time, even accounting for time out of the saddle. My lungs are just not getting better. My involuntary rest has not helped.

·
Two skinny J's
21,193 Posts
Got in a nice ride yesterday to a lighthouse we see mostly from the boat. I've only ever been to the land side less than a handful of times and it's always been on a bike oddly enough.

Anyway, rode up the dock, ate my stroopwafle and watched a handful of people fishing and unloading kayaks in the fog. When I rode back down the ramp and stopped and asked a couple of the guys what they were catching and one of them said the reds( puppy drum, channel bass, etc) were hitting.

After answering he looks and me and asks " Hey, how do you like that electric bike?" I was dumfounded and all that came out was oh hell no this aint no electric bike! I could see the look in his face like I had offended him and quickly regrouped. I followed up by saying that they weren't for me but that I could see a value for elderly folks that wanted to stay active or maybe someone with a physical imitation but I felt like if you are capable you should be pedaling your ass off.

He took a second and responded by saying he didn't ride but he liked the hybrid version of the ebike and that's what he would ride :D

·
Two skinny J's
21,193 Posts
But wait!!!!

Maybe rola’s secret to BIG NUMBERS is finally made public by an unsuspecting fisherman.
What big numbers would that be????

·
Registered
6,898 Posts
Yesterday was a rest day, so today i thought i would push harder on the lake lap.
Sadly, during the first mile, i knew i just didn’t have the juice nor willpower to pull it off.
Instead, i tried to lose myself in a childlike ride on a road I’ve never been on.
It was mostly slow and meandering. I let the sun’s warmth ease the tension from my shoulders and just took in the scenery.
It was a nice little valley i found with an old one room schoolhouse near the turnaround.
25 miles today.

·
Registered
9,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #17,270
My last ride was on Saturday with Frankie. There was a charity run/walk about to start when we got there. It added around a hundred or so more people than the already crowded weekend crowd. Way too many people and children to try and ride around so we opted to do the housing complex first. They still had a lot of the streets torn up for repaying so we rode out to the area that we rode when the park was closed for COVID-19. A nice 40 mile ride. Park was pretty empty when we got back for the last part of the ride.

This morning’s forecast called for high chances of rain because of Hurricane Eta. Checked the weather a short while ago and the rain chances dropped considerably. I was all pumped up about getting a ride in this morning until I checked my wind app. I think I’ll sit this one out.

IMG_1604928976.630858.jpg

·
Registered
9,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #17,272
Outside of blue skies and sunshine and no rain till late this afternoon, the wind is not much better today. I really need a ride but I just can't bring myself to fight those wind speeds. I guess I'm just getting old. :(

·
Registered
6,898 Posts
Planned work was postponed until later in the afternoon, so i split my “day off” and worked morning and late afternoon/evening.

This allowed me to do a longer ride today....a beautiful summerlike day, but with a bit more wind than i liked for the first 25 miles or so.....right in the face as i rode south. This made me think about John often and his much higher wind problems.
Lack of nutrition also played a factor in my average speed. Together, they were the culprit responsible for my tardy arrival to the afternoon work.
The moral of this story, you ask?

Never work on your day off.

53 miles

·
Registered
9,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #17,275
Looking at the weather last night and it looked decent for an early morning ride. Even a 25 mile right would have been great. Woke up this morning and it’s raining. Terrible forecast for the next two days, thanks to this hurricane that changed direction. All day rains with severe thunderstorms for today and tomorrow with winds into the 50 mph range. Friday looks like a really good day, maybe!

·
Old, fat, and slow
742 Posts
I have been suffering with weather similar to John_V's. it seems odd that the weather seems to know my schedule, so that whenever I start planning a ride the wind kicks up to gale force or the rain starts pounding down.

Another day or two of this and I will have to start riding the trainer. Otherwise I won't fit through the door to the garage and won't be able to reach my bikes.

·
Registered
9,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #17,279
Our rain gauge showed that we got 4.5” of rain yesterday. I think there was probably one hour, two at most, when there wasn’t some degree of rain coming down. And the wind was ridiculous. The wind should be much better today but we’re still expecting rain throughout the day. As of now, tomorrow is still looking good.

17261 - 17280 of 17472 Posts