Did you ride today?

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by John_V, Sep 1, 2012.

1. rola643

rola643 Two skinny Js Staff Member Admin Staff Mod Team Tavern Member

Over 6" here....I'm over all the rain this year.

maelochs, John_V and Dos_Ruedas like this.
  2. John_V

John_V Moderator Staff Member Mod Team Tavern Member

I hope that wasn’t in one day!

Finally got a ride in but not what I was hoping for. Headed to the park this morning for a 40 miler but when I turned in, I found the park closed. I’m sure it was under water. So, I drove around to the other parking lot and parked at Chili’s, next door. Did the same route as Frankie and I did, on Sunday, but I was going to add another route to it. The entire route was on public roads and the traffic was fairly heavy.

On the way out, my radar sent out a low battery warning, which would give me about an extra hour’s use. Decided to do just one of the two routes since the other route has two lane roads with not a lot of bike lanes and rough pavement. Decided to do the one route for 20 miles. I’m not comfortable any more on the road without my radar. Hoping the park is open tomorrow.

newleaf150, maelochs and Merlincustom like this.

3. rola643

Day and a 1/2

John_V likes this.
  4. John_V

Rode this morning but probably shouldn't have. Thought I had gotten a good nights sleep and felt pretty good this morning. The park's been closed for two days due to the hurricane so it was really packed this morning. There's a Chili's and a closed restaurant next to the park and both their parking lots were full this morning. People were parking at the Home Depot, which is the next block over and riding to the park. We decided to do the housing complex first to let the crowd disperse but we were wrong. Came back from the housing complex and the place was still packed with no parking slots available. Then there was the typical flooding at the gully and the creek.

Well, I ended up with 31 miles and did good to finish. Around the 20-25 mile mark, I suddenly started to feel drained. Good thing I was riding with Frankie because I wouldn't have been able to keep up with anyone else for the last part of the ride. I'm hoping that this was from the anemia issues and not age catching up to me. :(

5. bikebum1975

bikebum1975 Rat Biker

Yep just my usual ride to work. Think going home I'm taking a longer ride. Didn't ride in yesterday we had some wicked winds would've made it a bit unsafe was worried about branches and such

6. maelochs

maelochs Old, fat, and slow

I am not so experienced as you ... but in my experience it is regrowth and recovery time which changes most ... and not for the better. If I miss several days, the next several days are Much harder. If I miss a couple weeks, I have to start from zero ... and it takes sixteen weeks to get back to where i was a few weeks earlier. And if I make a big effort ... sometimes I pay for it for the next four days.

I just lost a week because i came back from several days off, pushed a little bit too hard at the gym, then did a slightly too vigorous "recovery" ride .... I was too sore to do anything for a week.

Now if I can be sensible in the gym two or three times a week for a month, I will actually be able to exercise, and not just be there .... and if I can actually sit and rest for a day---or two--after the gym, after a couple of weeks I can start pushing again so I van start to regain the lost lung capacity.

You are a lot more experienced .... and have faced a lot more health issue. I am amazed you can keep going at all after missing the time and enduring the health issues. You will probably get back to normal in a few weeks.

Right now even a slow 30-mile ride would probably cost me a week of recovery. You are doing fine.

7. Dos_Ruedas

Dos_Ruedas Well-Known Member

I snuck in a 30 miler before the sun set this afternoon. It was brisk. Had to don the winter kit. Beautiful sunny day to be out on two wheels though.

8. John_V

Had just enough time to sneak in a 15 mile ride before a doctor appointment. Temps in the 50s when I woke up. Had to wait for it to warm up some.

9. John_V

After a crappy day, yesterday, I made it out this morning for a nice 40 mile ride with Frankie. It was much windier than forecasted but we managed.

10. Dos_Ruedas

Dos_Ruedas Well-Known Member

Yesterday, my plan all along was to leave work around 11 or 12. The forecast was promising.
    I was successful leaving work on time.
    At home, I properly provided my body with nutrition and extra carbs. Level off the air pressure in my tires. Filled water bottles. Just started getting my kit out when I heard the garage door open. The next sound I heard was the sound of singing of my oldest son in the garage. He was home from college.
    Yippieeee!!!!!!
    I ran out the door and he ran over to me and we gave each other a great big hug. We talked and talked and laughed and then he saw my bike. He asked if I was leaving. It was heartbreaking as I answered yes I have to. However, he came back with the perfect answer. He said, “ I wish I had a road bike.”
    Anyway, as punishment to myself for riding when he just arrived, I pushed extra hard on some of the hills. And boy oh boy did my legs feel it last night.
    39 miles.
    I experienced crazy kamikaze squirrels. Squirrels that wait until the last possible moment to make as much noise as possible in the leaves beside me, making me think a bear is charging from the forest, and a flock of turkey, possibly 50 large, popped over a bank into the road 15 yards in front of me. It was quite the exciting ride.

11. rola643

I did. First outside ride in a couple of weeks. I hate the late fall/winter time. Way to much inconsistency for me.

Todays ride felt like that first spring ride when you put no work in over the winter and tried to do a group ride with all those that rode trainers all winter :)

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
  12. newleaf150

newleaf150 Deranged Touring Cyclist Tavern Member

I fear my cycling year may have come to a close. A little over a week ago, I experienced the instant onset of stomach cramps which hit like a shotgun blast to my mid section and went on for hours.

Most people would go to the doctor at this point. I waited. Several hours, then a few more. I waited until I realized that I was no longer able to drink water: the tiniest swallow multiplied the agony in my gut to the point of being literally breath taking.

The right answer in this situation is clearly to go to the doctor. If you cannot get water down, you cannot long survive. I couldn't, and I knew it. Unfortunately, I suffer from medically induced PTSD.

When I was 3 years old, I had to have surgery. I awoke during the operation and experienced part to most of it in a state of feeling paralysis. Because I was so young, the feelings so overwhelming, I was not able to express that something had gone wrong. The resulting PTSD went unnoticed and untreated for the next 39 years of my life.

I've been with my wife for 21 years, married 15. In that time, I have voluntarily sought medical help 4x. I've been browbeaten into seeing a doctor more frequently during that time, though not much.

Long story short, I contracted Diverticulitis which perforated my bowel and required emergency surgery. I am now equipped with a stylin' ostomy bag, one which will hopefully be temporary. Of course, removing it requires a second surgery.

Here's the cycling tie in: every doctor and nurse with whom I worked during my week in the hospital expressed surprise and pleasure at the speed with which I regained mobility and balance. I was climbing stairs, albeit supervised and using a walker, on my 2nd day out of surgery.

My claim of an average 2500mi per year on my bike was roundly greeted with enthusiasm for the way it made my recovery faster and easier than they were expecting.

Despite that, I presently have a walker, and need it. I'm mostly steady on my feet, but with enough random balance twitches that I'm not comfortable standing without something available to grab for support. Stairs are especially challenging, as is sleeping.

Hang in there, everyone. Stay safe and if you can, log a few miles for me here and there. I'm gonna be out of the saddle for a bit, but hoping to get back sometime next year, maybe sooner if the docs are good to me.

John_V likes this.
  13. fpl1

fpl1 Well-Known Member Tavern Member

Wow. You hang in there and glad you went to the Doctor. Hope you heal up quickly.

John_V, Dos_Ruedas and newleaf150 like this.
  14. fpl1

fpl1 Well-Known Member Tavern Member

Same here. I got smoked on our ride today. Maybe I was worn out from first orange theory workout Friday since before covid. Dunno but some days you are the hammer and some days you are the nail. I was the nail being hammered into concrete today.

John_V and rola643 like this.
  15. maelochs

I will not "Like" your post but thanks for the info. I hope you recover completely or as completely as you should, and as quickly as you should.

I am glad you are hopefully getting over with the mental/emotional trauma too.

John_V, Dos_Ruedas and newleaf150 like this.
  16. newleaf150

Thanks, Fpl. This is looking like a life changing thing for me. I only stopped arguing with the surgeon about going under the knife when he calmly asserted that without the surgery, I would die.

Sadly, that didn't stop my internal battle, but it was also clear that continuing to argue was an act of madness. PTSD is a b!tch. Thank you for your support.

Merlincustom and John_V like this.
  17. newleaf150

Thanks, Maelochs. Though the physical side looms large now, the trauma part is going to end up being a more long term effort. Right now, I'm grateful for cycling.

This has been bad, but it's clear that it the physical part would have been worse without the muscles, balance, and physical vitality granted by the miles I've ridden. That those same miles also helped keep the trauma at bay until I was more ready to deal with it seems a happy bonus ATM.

At least, that's how I'm trying to look at it.

John_V likes this.
  18. maelochs

You can beat this thing.

John_V, newleaf150 and Dos_Ruedas like this.
  19. rola643

Holy cow @newleaf150! i'm not even sure what to say other than hoping for a speedy and complete recovery. Thank God for being a healthy fit individual, I'm a true believer that goes a long way in healing and recovery.

I've experienced the same awakening during a surgery. Make a long story short I had compound break of both Fibula and tibia that required a skin graft and I woke during that procedure. I was more pissed but MUCH older.

newleaf150, John_V and Dos_Ruedas like this.
  20. newleaf150

Thanks, Rola. Both for your support and for sharing your own experience. I think I remember you talking about the terrible accident involving your legs a few years back, but I don't remember the awakening during surgery part. That is something I would not wish on my worst enemy. Straight Hell, even for an adult. I feel for you, my friend.

As for myself, I'm deeply grateful to have the fitness level going into this that I did. It's likely to be a long road and longer recovery, but I could be a whole lot worse off in physical terms, and I have cycling to thank for that.