Did you ride today?

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by John_V, Sep 1, 2012.

1. John_V

John_V Moderator Staff Member Mod Team Tavern Member

@newleaf150 Glad to hear that you are OK and doing better. Never had diverticulitis but I was in the hospital three days for pancreatitis. When I first went to the emergency room, even the morphine they gave me wasn't working so well. And from what I hear, that pain isn't near as bad as what you experienced. First the COVID and now this. Maybe you should move to Florida and enjoy the warm weather and lay in the sun for a while. :D Just do what the doc says and you should be back in the saddle in no time.

2. newleaf150

newleaf150 Deranged Touring Cyclist Tavern Member

Thanks, John_V! I can't really speak to relative pain levels, but this was bad. They brought the initial pain under control with enough IV opiates to cause auditory and visual hallucinations.

The only saving grace there was that I managed to recognize that the things I saw and heard were not real, despite the apparently clear evidence of my senses. That lasted 3 days on and off until they weaned me off the opiates altogether post op. I have to say, I'm not a fan of hallucinating :eek:.

Hang in there and stay safe!

3. i12ride

i12ride Spin Spin Spin Tavern Member

Turned 60 on Saturday......blew up the area on the AnthemX today feeling like I'm in my 20s..........then ordered the enduro bearing set for the rear suspension since the bike is getting old, lol.........2014 model so 6 yrs of heavy fun but no slop yet. Just scarfing up the parts while they're available for when it needs it. Woohoo, wutta blast! That bike is like fountain of youth.....more you ride it the better you feel so AnthemX for every meal. Hope ever one has great Thanksgiving!

maelochs, FRISKY, John_V and 3 others like this.
  4. Dos_Ruedas

Dos_Ruedas Well-Known Member

That’s an awesome report ¡12ride It quite literally made my night.
    Ride on and ride strong

newleaf150, John_V and i12ride like this.
  5. John_V

Yes I did. First ride since Monday. Went for some blood work on Wednesday and the results were exactly what I predicted. The increase in dosage made the anemia worse which explains all this tiredness. Feeling pretty good this morning and I really wanted to ride so I opted for a short 25 mile ride since I have a scheduled ride with Frankie tomorrow. Here’s hoping I’m not tired in the morning.

6. SprocketGirl

SprocketGirl spin... spin.. spin

cooler weather brings back fond memories of rides with a fly-fishing rod strapped to my bicycle. seeing my breath and listening to chain grab cogs as my smaller legs raced to hold my father’s wheel on winding mountain road. the warmth of sun barely breaking the horizon as welcome as the cocoa from thermos upon the first touching of my lips.
    IMG_1606575324.336531.jpg
    these days morning rides tend to be on a dirt road or a trail with my dearest friend. this is no less enjoyable simply a reminder that things change. time holds still for no one and wishing a thing rarely has made it so. the early morning sun breaking horizon on chilly mornings; well, it is as welcome as it always was.

maelochs, Dos_Ruedas, John_V and 4 others like this.
  7. newleaf150

^^ As always, your perspective is as illuminating as it is beautiful. Thank you for that, SprocketGirl!

8. John_V

Two days in a row! Met Frankie this morning and did one of our chitchat rides. It was another slow but enjoyable ride. Felt really good this morning but wasn't sure how long into the ride it would be before the tiredness hit me; especially after riding yesterday. Ended up with 40 miles and feeling like I could go another 10 or so but that would have been pushing it. If I feel good tomorrow morning, I may go out and do three in a row; something I haven't done since before the crash. We'll see what happens.

9. rola643

rola643 Two skinny Js Staff Member Admin Staff Mod Team Tavern Member

Glad to see it's all coming back around.

John_V likes this.
  10. Dos_Ruedas

@SprocketGirl your writing is as refreshing as the chilly morning air you write about. Thank you. I do hope that you’ll return often to enlighten each of us in your special way.

Not that this ragtag group isn’t enlightening. I just love reading your pen!!!!!

SprocketGirl and newleaf150 like this.
  11. Dos_Ruedas

@John_V Sounds like good news for you. Glad things are looking up.

John_V and newleaf150 like this.
  12. Dos_Ruedas

Cold, brilliantly blue skies and time equal ...... A BIKE RIDE!!!!
    Nothing really special. The only part that was planned were the hill repeats at the end.
    35 miles
    3332’ up

13. maelochs

maelochs Old, fat, and slow

Nice bit of writing and the perfect picture.

14. rola643

You should do a search and read some of her posts, extremely eloquent. Both her and her old roommate, whose username escapes me now, write superbly.

15. MilesR

MilesR Mom's Taxi Tavern Member

16. rola643

I do now!

John_V, MilesR and Dos_Ruedas like this.
  17. flan48

flan48 Senior Member

Big (late) +1 from me!
    Best regards

newleaf150, Dos_Ruedas and John_V like this.
  18. John_V

Hoping to make it three in a row yesterday by doing a ride with the wife. We got up later than normal so she said we'll go after lunch. Well, after lunch, she changed her mind. No ride. This morning was a wash out (or should I say rain out).

Merlincustom likes this.
  19. newleaf150

Thanks, Flan! I'm recovering well, if more slowly than I'd prefer. Doctor is talking months before I am cleared to return to the saddle, but return I shall.