Did you ride today?

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by John_V, Sep 1, 2012.

1. newleaf150

newleaf150 Deranged Touring Cyclist Tavern Member

No ride today per doctor's orders. In preparing for when that changes, I got my brother to help me take my Sun recumbent in to have the failing rear wheel replaced. He not only has a pickup truck, but can also pick up my bike without hurting himself. I could before and will be able to again, but it's out of the question at present.

It may be months before I'm cleared for the saddle, but I'll be able to ride a 'bent before I can ride a diamond frame. I will be ready.

2. John_V

John_V Moderator Staff Member Mod Team Tavern Member

Have you asked your doc about easy spinning on a trainer? Since you’re going to be on a bent, it shouldn’t put any strain on you.

maelochs and Dos_Ruedas like this.

3. Dos_Ruedas

Dos_Ruedas Well-Known Member

Good idea John ^

I hope that’s a possibility newleaf

newleaf150 and John_V like this.
  4. newleaf150

I wish! When I recently spoke to the surgeon on a follow up visit, he flatly said no to bicycling, whether recumbent or diamond frame, on trainer or off :(. This is due to the damage done to my abs in the course of the first surgery. Though the damage is healing, he felt it best to play it conservative. Something about almost dying inclines me to listen to him, even though I think his orders suck :D.

The original plan was that I'd undergo a second operation to restore my body's normative functionality along about next week. Unlike the first surgery, the second is considered 'elective' since my life is no longer in danger as it was with the first.

Thanks to Covid, local hospitals have barred all elective surgeries requiring time spent in ICU. That means I'm on hold for the 2nd operation until at least February. I get the sense that I won't be cleared for the saddle until sometime after that.

On the one hand, that sucks hard. On the other, the very last thing I want to do is take an ICU bed from someone who might themselves die without it. Our local infection, hospitalization, and death rates are all spiking hard with no ceiling in sight. Even if it were up to me which it of course isn't, I can't see any justification for hurrying my own recovery at others' expense.

I'll just be that much happier when I'm finally cleared to return.

5. John_V

This morning was the first morning this week that didn't require going outside in overcoats and heavy jackets. Decided to take advantage of that and go for a ride with Frankie. Unfortunately, while the temps returned to short sleeve weather, the rain forecast wasn't looking good. Low percentage of rain until around 1:00 pm. Since we got a late start, and we felt a few sprinkles during the ride, I decided to stop at 25 miles and not take the chance of getting wet and coming down with something. That would be all I need on top of everything else going on.

6. John_V

Well, it was a thought. The trainer is what I use during recoveries from injuries. And it's a good thing that I don't get injured bad enough to use it because I hate riding on a trainer.

newleaf150 and MilesR like this.
  7. newleaf150

Stay well, John_V! It does me a lot of good to read about you and other TwoSpokers enjoying some saddle time. Thank you for your support.

Dos_Ruedas likes this.
  8. rola643

rola643 Two skinny Js Staff Member Admin Staff Mod Team Tavern Member

Calling November a good month.
    43D95981-0F82-4985-9795-F7E13C7E14C3.jpeg F11FC4FD-9D26-4BB6-8886-3D22AC0E9180.jpeg 0439E2A7-7D2C-40D8-AA10-4D579A26E984.jpeg

9. John_V

It’s better than mine by 200 miles. It’s depressing that the mileage I rode last month was less than my normal weekly mileage before all this crap started.

newleaf150, MilesR and rola643 like this.
  10. rola643

I'm sure it is but it sounds like you're back on the right track, just in time for winter :D

John_V, newleaf150 and Dos_Ruedas like this.
  11. John_V

40 miles with Frankie this morning in an overcrowded park with lots of kids as it warned up. Didn’t start till almost 1100 or I was going to shoot for 50.

newleaf150 and MilesR like this.
  12. newleaf150

Today I was tested. Darned near failed, too. Kinda wish I had: I went to the LBS with my brother and picked up my recumbent. The new wheel is beautiful, the fixed bike even prettier, just begging to be ridden. Sadly, I remain under Doctor's orders to stay out of the saddle.

I obeyed, but it was a near thing. Boy, do I miss the saddle. Seemed so wrong to wheel my bike across the parking lot and load into a truck when we're just a few miles from home by MUP... I fear these next couple of months are going to be long.

13. John_V

I think the Corona virus finally got to Mother Nature and the fever made her delirious. She obviously has us confused with Canada because it was 38º when I got up this morning. o_O What Floridian has that kind of gear to ride in this kind of weather? Yesterday, we had the A/C on in the car and this morning we're scrambling to find warm clothes. What is going on here? Looks like another weight gain day in the house. :mad:

newleaf150 likes this.
  14. maelochs

maelochs Old, fat, and slow

I have the gear .... tights, sweatpants, extra socks, long-fingered gloves, scarf or bandana, wool hat, wind/waterproof vest, bandana over the face .... What Southerner is crazy enough to go out in this weather Regardless of what gear s/he has?

Here in Flatahoma, weight gain has been the order of the season ... I am not sure my bike can support me anymore ....

At least it isn't raining.

newleaf150 and John_V like this.
  15. FRISKY

FRISKY Maturity Challenged

"flatahoma"?

newleaf150 likes this.
  16. maelochs

A ghetto region in between Oz and the Magic Kingdom ... a little known area which combines the worst features of a DisneyWorld parking lot, a drive-through liquor store, a rain forest, the Sahara desert, and every road in urban New Jersey ....

Citizens must pledge to uphold Flat-Earth theory, which apparently often includes a belief that bicycles are a creation of the devil ("Ain't seed no Bike-a-cycles in the Bible .... an' I don't wanna see 'em on the road, either ... unless they are laid flat so I kin drive over them.") It is illegal to own a pick-up truck with running boards lower than the top of the driver's head, while standing (or slouching ...) The only positive is that most drivers are too poor to be able to afford using their coal-rolling equipment.

Dogs must be kept on leases unless they have a propensity to chase or bite, and any square inch of land with more than five blades of grass has to, by law, be paved over or developed into a tract housing neighborhood.

There are two hills, one on each side ... of every highway overpass. In all other cases, developers are required to bulldoze any inclines into the nearest flood plain .... prior to building a tract housing neighborhood there, whose septic tanks are below the water table.

Without tourism the place would be .... well about as bad as it is anyway. So .... Y'all come visit.

newleaf150, Merlincustom and John_V like this.
  17. MilesR

MilesR Mom's Taxi Tavern Member

You lost me at worst features of a drive through liquor store.

John_V likes this.
  18. John_V

Well, I'm confused with this weather. We dug out some jackets this morning because we had decided to go to Sam's Club, since I wasn't riding. When we left for Sam's Club the jackets were still needed and the heater was on in the car. Left Sam's Club and went to get some blood drawn for my Urologist appt on Monday, went to Moe's for lunch and when we left Moe's, the A/C was back on in the car for the ride home. It's why we don't layer here in Florida. A hour or so of riding and you have to shed all the layers. Then you have to figure out how to carry them around with you.

If the island wasn't so small, I would move to Guam. 72º year round. I loved it when I was stationed there.

newleaf150 and maelochs like this.
  19. rola643

Thought I'd post this here. Got a little laugh from a friends FB post this evening.
    Screen Shot 2020-12-09 at 7.02.44 PM.png

John_V and newleaf150 like this.
  20. maelochs

I was going to ride my trainer but this freaking elf just sat there and wouldn't get off ..... I didn't Want to slack off .....

Dos_Ruedas, John_V and newleaf150 like this.