Two Spoke Forums banner

17361 - 17380 of 17548 Posts

·
Old, fat, and slow
781 Posts
Always good to hear that you got out on your bike, sir. And glad you weathered the harsh, week-long winter.

40 miles is twice what I have managed all month, so you are killing it by comparison.

Glad your strength is returning.

·
Administrator
9,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #17,362
I still have my days when I don't have the energy to get up from the breakfast table. On those days I just sit on the couch and do puzzles on my iPad while the TV is on making noise to keep me awake. I go for another blood test on Wednesday and I'm hoping to get some decent news about this anemia. Today was somewhat unusual as far as the tiredness goes. I've only ridden 4 days this month.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,175 Posts
Hang in there, Maelochs and John_V! Your separate struggles and mileage are inspirational, though I'm sorry you must deal with the former. I hope the struggles give way to mad mileage, sooner than later.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,175 Posts
Mr. Newleaf, you are our shining, coughing beacon in a bed on a hill .... so to speak. We are all waiting to hear about how your canine companion made you tow him around town again.
Thank you for your kind words and support, Maelochs! I've never wanted to break a physician's orders more than I do right now. At least, not until about this time tomorrow ;). That said, my recovery is pretty clearly a marathon, not a sprint. As for canine companion Chip, both he and I must be content with walking :eek::eek::eek: for the time being.

Here's hoping for enough saddle time for us all, and sooner than later.

·
Two skinny J's
21,324 Posts

·
Administrator
9,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #17,369
After waking up tired again, I didn't want to do another day of couch cruising so I went out and did a short 25 mile ride with Frankie. Of course, he's doing one of his normal 60 mile rides and one of these days I'm going to get back into doing those with him.

·
Spin Spin Spin
3,902 Posts
Yesterday was just the warm up for today's shenanigan filled air and water fun......there was much clock stopping airtime. IMO, every second of airtime extends your life by that much so I seek it often. water crossings are just bonuses. So are confused faces of patrons of the cement. Yes, I freeride in a greenbelt area so there is bewilderment over my use of the unpaved gravity filled opportunities that exist all around.

·
Administrator
9,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #17,372
Finally had a day warm enough to get a ride in. Started out as a solo ride but ran into my buddy Frank C while I was taking break in the subdivision. Haven't ridden with him since the day of the crash so it was nice to finish off the ride with him. Got in a nice 30 mile ride on a really nice day. Unfortunately, it's suppose to turn cold again on Thursday. :(

·
Spin Spin Spin
3,902 Posts
Cyco-sunset session.....going off is a terrible thing to waste. I swear this bike is a fountain of youth. The more I push, the better I feel. Mucho clock stopping air. Sucked up all the gravity there was to be had for miles and miles. Then 7 crispy chkn tacos and a burrito.....all after full work day. Lovin life!

20201228_175830.jpg

·
Administrator
9,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #17,376
Got in a nice 41 miles this morning with Frankie. Almost got rained out but it stopped in about a minute or so. Then the sun came out and I was overdressed. They say temps are dropping again tomorrow, so we’ll see what happens for the next few days for riding.

·
Administrator
9,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #17,377
Another 41 miles this morning with Frankie. At 0800, it was 71° out, overcast skies and 3% chance of rain. Well, two out of three ain’t bad. Almost got rained out again. Started drizzling but it was going in the opposite direction and we rode right through it. Then the sun came out and it brought 18-19 mph gusts. The wind about wore me out but I made it. Slow, but I made it.

·
Two skinny J's
21,324 Posts
I did albeit virtually yet again. I was looking for something easy to start the new year off and as I was scrolling through the early morning events and I saw this one listed as no drop ZZRC Sunday Club ride.

Boyyyyy, was I wrong to jump on this one. I knew I was in trouble when we got to the "pen" and I saw all the "Tron" bikes... For those not familiar with this here's how it's awarded:

The Tron bike (named the “Zwift Concept Z1” in game) is definitely the coolest ride in Zwift (and one of the fastest). How do you get it? Three simple (but not easy) steps:

1 .Select the “Climb Mt. Everest” challenge in Zwift, and start climbing.
2. At the top of Mt Everest (8,850m) keep going!
3. Climb 41,150 additional meters and you will unlock the coveted “Concept Z1” (aka “the Tron bike”)

This ride was on the "Three Sisters" route. 2940 ft of climb in 30 miles. Not bad until you consider probably 1/2 that climb comes on the second "sister" that has a gradient of 17% AT the finish and averages 13% for what seems like and eternity to me :D

I was so tired at this point and you can see it was only 13 miles in and ONLY 11% grade and of course...I was all alone :D You can also see it over 2K in climb at this point as well...
Screen Shot 2021-01-03 at 5.54.33 PM.png

I did not quit tho, I wanted nothing to do with this ride and really got blown out the back BUT was NOWHERE near last either. Just tough for a flatlander like me to be competitive on a ride like that :D
Screen Shot 2021-01-03 at 5.24.28 PM.png

·
Administrator
9,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #17,379
Had a very good 25 mile ride with my buddy Frank C this morning. Had to choose between a 40 mile slow ride or a 25 mile faster ride; the faster ride won. Actually had a 14.1 mph average speed for the first 19 miles. Then the wind kicked in and shot that all to hell. Ended up with a 13.6 mph average which, looking at my stats, is the second fastest 25 mile ride I've done since the crash and this anemia problem showed up. If it doesn't turn cold tomorrow morning, I'll go do a distance ride.

·
Administrator
9,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #17,380
Damp and chilly this morning. Should have stayed home but I promised Frankie I would do a ride with him. The sun never came out and it was a pretty heavy overcast. All was OK until the wind picked up, then the temperature dropped. Good thing I had a thermal jersey in the van because just the arm warmers weren't going to cut it. Ended up with a nice 40 mile ride.

Reactions: SprocketGirl
17361 - 17380 of 17548 Posts