Two Spoke Forums banner

17421 - 17440 of 17469 Posts

·
Two skinny J's
21,192 Posts
Several days of sub-arctic weather with high winds, impending rain on a couple days. Planned to ride, prepped to ride, then stepped outside and smartened right up.
Pretty much the same here except we've had a couple of days of snow and snow flurries. Wind has been absolutely brutal including for work.

·
Registered
9,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #17,422
39º during the early morning hours, currently 46º and very windy. I was hoping to ride today but that isn't going to happen. According to the experts, tomorrow is going to be colder. :mad:

Reactions: flan48

·
Spin Spin Spin
3,823 Posts
Well, about the only thing I've been ridin in the last coupla weeks would be the bed and furniture in living room.....Got Covid around the 21st and been home from work battling the fever and shortness of breath. Fever gone, breathing much better and just ridin out my quarantine from work and such. Gonna be close to 80 tommorrow so I may venture out on a trial run and see where my lungs really are. Lost about 15lbs during the not hungry phase of this mess just hydrating and Tylenol/Motrin every 6 hrs when fever was going on. McD to the rescue on jump starting my appetite, lol and Taco Bell and Taco Cabana and Wingstop etc. No smell/taste loss fortunately. Back to coffee in mornings again. On the mend FTW. Gonna actually run the pit today and get some steak/sausage back in the system now that I can move the pit around. Luckily breathing is coming back as I started eating, moving around and walking around house and yard...............All that aside, did get the GT Avalanche disc large frame and have ordered rr der hanger, Kore seatpost and GT clamp, Kore riser bars, Kore 95mm stem. Am going with 1x9 Alivio set up with new 11/32 HG cassette and Deore cranks with 34t Biopace chainring from donor. Also from donor bike will be Avid bb7 mech discs, rigid carbon fork and staggered 26 rr wheel and 27.5 front wheelset with deore hubs and Schwalbe 2.35 nobby nic tires. So it'll end up a rigid Deore/Alivio MTB 1x9 rapidfire with LX servo wave levers.......

Donor bike.......
20190712_152600.jpg

20180306_182334.jpg

20180211_135818.jpg

2006 GT Avalanche Disc 1.0................
20210203_121739.jpg

20210203_121749.jpg

20210203_121853.jpg

and so the build begins....frame "cleaned" up a as much as it'll clean and ran a bottom bracket into shell just to make sure threads all good, and they are. Cleaned up the lightly used Alivio rr der and shoved 2 sealed bearing pulleys into it.
20210203_125051.jpg

Waiting on parts and figuring out if I can scrounge headset parts or will need to score zerostack one. I have the cups and sealed bearings but need to check out crown race on fork now and see if I have the other parts for up top to cinch it down properly.....headtube is 44mm and came with zerostack setup so we'll see what I have or will need to buy. I'm certain I have a suitable 9 spd capable chain on hand. Need to start disassembly of donor next. Elsewise, everything else will just be mount it up, cable it and go ride..............

cuz I12RIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Old, fat, and slow
742 Posts
Quite a story .... I want to make jokes about weight loss and such but the CCP virus is just a little too real for casual jokes in most settings .... glad you didn't get any permanent damage.

Eager to see how the new bike progresses.

I recall when the Tidal Force was your favorite new build ... fickle, are we? :D

·
Spin Spin Spin
3,823 Posts
Just haven't been riding it much and wanting a geared, non-suspension MTB for simplicity purposes and have always dug on the GT frame geometry and never had one. $60 for the frame did make me fickulate and choose using the other bike for donor. I still have an offroad single speed as well as a single speed for pavement so repurpose of parts on hand to fill a niche.

·
Registered
9,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #17,426
Wife and I got our second vaccine shots at noon on Tuesday. We were told that if any side effects were going to happen it would be on the day after the injection. Early yesterday morning the wife got some chills and a low grade fever but it only lasted for about an hour or two. By noon, yesterday, I had zero effects from the injection and was feeling pretty good about it. Around 4:00pm, I started feeling some slight chills and ended up with a low grade fever of 99.4º. Took two Extra Strength Tylenol and wrapped myself in one of my wife's quilts. By the time dinner was on the table, everything was back to normal. Nothing since for the both of us. At our age, neither of us were really worried about the long term side effects 20 or 30 years down the road.

Now all I need is for these cold snaps to end so I can start riding again. 34º this morning when I got up at 7:00am.

·
Mom's Taxi
4,490 Posts
Wife and I got our second vaccine shots at noon on Tuesday. We were told that if any side effects were going to happen it would be on the day after the injection. Early yesterday morning the wife got some chills and a low grade fever but it only lasted for about an hour or two. By noon, yesterday, I had zero effects from the injection and was feeling pretty good about it. Around 4:00pm, I started feeling some slight chills and ended up with a low grade fever of 99.4º. Took two Extra Strength Tylenol and wrapped myself in one of my wife's quilts. By the time dinner was on the table, everything was back to normal. Nothing since for the both of us. At our age, neither of us were really worried about the long term side effects 20 or 30 years down the road.

Now all I need is for these cold snaps to end so I can start riding again. 34º this morning when I got up at 7:00am.
John, are you saying you refuse to go outside until the temperature is above your age?

·
Spin Spin Spin
3,823 Posts
Got enough parts and used a coupla mock up parts to ride the GT around the block in one gear and no brakes......slow ride but can sense the coolness that it is becoming. Bars then can cable everything up. Seatpost clamp coming from afar so that'll be last piece to arrive but the throw down mock up will work fine til then. Much harder to tell wheelset is staggered on this frame. Also found brand new black chain in my parts pile that has unexpected sassiness factor. It is coming to life!

·
Registered
9,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #17,432
Finally got my first ride of the month in yesterday. A nice 25 mile solo ride that was going to be a 40 mile ride had it not been for the wind. Got pretty bad toward the end and I just didn't feel like fighting another 15 miles of wind. Tomorrow is going to be a really nice day to ride since the temps are going to be higher than my age.

·
Spin Spin Spin
3,823 Posts
Pic dump of the GT Avalanche build.......piddled with bb spacing to adjust chainline, broke out the lock-ons, staged up levers/shifter even though waiting on the wider Kore bars before cabling. Also ordered a small lizard skin chainstay protector to cover up that mess from previous owner. Rides good in 6th gear which is lowest gear the limit screw on derailleur will go to without being cabled. Stem/31.8 wider bar setup will be much beefier and better................this build will kill Covid, things will get drastically better when this bike is fully unleashed on the unsuspecting landscape.

20210209_134705.jpg
20210209_134713.jpg
20210209_134732.jpg
20210209_134749.jpg
20210209_135236.jpg
20210209_135246.jpg
20210209_135308.jpg

·
Spin Spin Spin
3,823 Posts
Mo pics.............swapped wb cage/camelbak bottle off another bike onto the GT and a black stem cap.....because it was so fashionably color matched and lighter cf cage...........and some close ups of the sassy black chain showin off it's mstr link......oooo

20210210_102111.jpg
20210210_102135.jpg

20210211_055411.jpg
20210210_101949.jpg

·
Spin Spin Spin
3,823 Posts
OK, new bars/stem on and cables strung. Had to trim bars down from super wide 760mm to still wide but comfy 720mm like on coupla others. Down to just waiting on the gt seatpost clamp to arrive. Been around a few blocks and to mailbox down the street a few times to fine tune shifting and brakes. Gonna b fun bike.

It will be called CBD for Covid Be Damned.......

20210213_075644.jpg

No studded tires so first real ride will have to wait since we are expecting big winter storm with temps not had in over 30 yrs in these parts. Triple digit is pretty normal here but not single digit close to zero. People be trippin. Thank God for the whole house natural gas generator standing by......

·
Spin Spin Spin
3,823 Posts
Now they're saying 2 degrees Tuesday morning......coldest temp ever on record for this part of TX.....dang global warming. Then another winter storm Wednesday - Thursday morning. Got a good bit of frigid weather layers I'd like to test out but not in ice, snow yeah but ice no.........then suppose to be in 70s next Sunday. 🚴‍♂️

Reactions: John_V

·
Registered
9,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #17,438
Having a very wet weekend here. Rained on and off all day yesterday and today looks like a repeat. Hopefully, I can get a ride in tomorrow.

Reactions: maelochs

·
Mom's Taxi
4,490 Posts
Having a very wet weekend here. Rained on and off all day yesterday and today looks like a repeat. Hopefully, I can get a ride in tomorrow.
You could share the rain. Yesterday we received .05" of rain. Barely got the patio wet.

·
Spin Spin Spin
3,823 Posts
Rode the new GT build on it's maiden voyage in the snow yesterday morning. I've christened new bikes in mud and rain before but not snow. Had to......made about 5 miles in 16 degrees of fun.

20210215_072513.jpg

Coming and going tracks in my driveway

17421 - 17440 of 17469 Posts