Two Spoke Forums banner

17441 - 17460 of 17469 Posts

·
Registered
9,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #17,441
Good day for a bike ride. 25 mile solo ride in some pretty nasty wind. Really wanted to do 40 but the wind was getting stronger. Hoping for another ride tomorrow.

Reactions: Merlincustom

·
Registered
9,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #17,445
No rain today so I met Frankie at the park and did one of my normal 40 mile, chitchat rides. The wind was a killer and the later it got, the windier it became. Good thing neither one of us were there to kill it or the wind would have killed us first.

·
Spin Spin Spin
3,823 Posts
Nope, swapped battery in generac ng generator so we can has electricity until grid stable. But did ride GT to mailbox and there was a seatpost clamp from Taiwan. Last piece of the CBD build....

20210218_143024.jpg

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,136 Posts
Last week, I saw the surgeon again. At long last, he relented and authorized me to return to the saddle! Two hours after returning home, I did just that. My last ride prior to this was in early November, just before the emergency surgery which saved my life. That's by far the longest I've been away from the saddle since I ended my previous cycling hiatus back in 2011. It showed in both my inability to hold a steady line and the brevity of the ride itself. It also marked easily my happiest moment since this whole mess began.

Since then, I've been out every day that snow didn't coat the ground. While I have studded tires for my touring bike, they aren't installed. That could change easily enough, but I'm quite out of practice and choosing to play it hyper conservative. I've nevertheless enjoyed time on my recumbent, the touring bike, and the folding MTB.

Today, I did 10mi with canine companion Chip on the latter. He ran a mile and spent the rest of the time inspiring coos from passers by while chilling in his trailer. It's impossible to express how happy I am to be riding again. Chip and I have done a good bit of hiking during my forced hiatus from the saddle, but it's just not the same.

Next month, I'm scheduled to go under the knife again. That's more of a good thing than not, but it does mean more time spent in recovery, out of the saddle. Until then, happy days are here again! I'll be riding whenever I can, for as far as my fitness level permits.

·
Spin Spin Spin
3,823 Posts
The irony of building the Avalanche and finishing it just in time to take it's 1st ride in snow from a 40 yr winter storm is oddly disconcerting and not escaping me. Coincidence? Maybe, maybe not. Hoping the bike's name being CBD (Covid Be Damned), plays out similarly and that crap goes away, people stop dying and we get back to a more "normal" way of life.

Swapped to new unused set of rotors and pads found digging all the way thru my parts on hand...................in upper 60s today so some more bedding in will occur!

20210221_114315.jpg
20210221_114331.jpg

·
Two skinny J's
21,192 Posts
Brutal, brutal trainer ride for a flat lander like me today :). 11 miles took me 134 minutes. Of course it ranged between 8-13% grade and it seemed every time I looked it was 11 or 13% grade. I wanted to quite sooooo bad :)

·
Registered
9,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #17,453
Windy, windy, windy. The park was in complete overflow so Frankie and I took a ride out to the SR56 trail. Got back hoping the park had emptied some but no dice. 41 miles that whipped my butt.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,136 Posts
Thanks Merlin, Dos, and John_V! It's good to be back in the saddle, even for a limited time. I appreciate the support I've gotten from you all and others here on TwoSpoke.

This morning found me checking into the hospital for a series of pre surgery tests. Once completed, a local breakfast place helped stoke the furnace before I hit the trail with canine companion Chip. He ran 2.5mi and chilled in his trailer for the balance of my 20mi spin. Truth be told, that was a little too far. I thought it might be, but it felt so good to be out that I didn't care.

·
Old, fat, and slow
742 Posts
Spurred on by the examples of John_V and Mr. ResurgentLeaf, I did something unusual yesterday .... I rode my bicycle!

Surprisingly, I didn't feel a lot of pain---though I did get a saddle sore (life is so unfair.) :D

I felt pretty bad after the first sort of hill, but I managed 20 miles in a pace which would have made any toddler proud ... if said toddler had been walking.

Good thoughts for all you Two-Spokers. Soon I shall be able to join you again in the ranks of cyclists.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,136 Posts
Total of 15mi today. What a day! First, I walked to the LBS where my touring bike has been getting serviced. So much better to ride home than load up the bike and drive it the same distance. On returning, I attached the trailer and headed out with canine companion Chip. He wasn't in the mood to do much running today, but seemed to enjoy his trailer time. A roadie who followed me through a roundabout commented that he loved the way Chip balances in the trailer through curves. I have noticed that he does actively balance on the few occasions I tow inanimate cargo, but didn't realize his efforts were visible to others.

Would that I had the legs for more miles. The bike felt great and the weather even better, but I've done metric centuries which took less out of me than today's handful of miles. All that sitting on the couch after the last surgery continues to show. On the one hand, it's annoying to know I'm building back up only to lose more fitness level after the second surgery early next month. On the other hand, without the first surgery that left me in need of the second, I'd literally be dead and not getting any saddle time, anyway. Better to be able to ride, even if it hurts more than I'd like.

17441 - 17460 of 17469 Posts