Two Spoke Forums banner

17461 - 17480 of 17548 Posts

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,173 Posts
Only 5mi today. Apparently it's time for a rest day. I set out alone on the 'bent with temps in the low 30's. I got my clothing right and the bike felt great but my legs didn't. Cardio was even worse. Tonight, we're supposed to see snow fly again. I'd hoped for more miles before that, but it wasn't to be. I'm still glad to have gotten out.

·
Administrator
9,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #17,463
Did a 25 mile solo ride this morning. Got out a little later than what I wanted to, thanks to screwing around with something that could have waited. I was really doing good on the speed until the wind gusts picked up then the speed went all to hell.

·
Spin Spin Spin
3,901 Posts
Yes, working on bedding in some disc brakes..........I felt so restrained, like taking a driving test. Worth it in the end but also not quite anywhere near the amount of needed shenaniganery at this juncture.

·
YAY BAIKS!
1,541 Posts
Did a nice little out and back today to a local county park. Snow everywhere but it was about 45 degrees and it felt great to finally be back out on the bike. I’m LOVING my new Ortlieb handlebar bag. Big enough to throw in some lunch.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,173 Posts
18mi today, my first mileage since we got 15" of snow last week. I took canine companion Chip on a favorite route through a local state park I haven't been able to enjoy in too long. The route offers plenty of options for off pavement play, but the still melting snow and copious amounts of mud made tarmac the best choice for today. Good times in the saddle nevertheless.

·
Spin Spin Spin
3,901 Posts
Looks like mtb trip this wknd to private ranch that also sells the grass fed beef they raise. 9 miles of great single track an hour and a half from my house. Feels much farther away than that. Can't wait. Been going there since early 90s.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,173 Posts
Another 18mi today, still towing canine companion Chip in his trailer. The snow is hanging on, but with temps in the mid 50's, it won't last much longer. Lots of melt water on the trail and mud everywhere that's not paved. On my way home, I realized I was putting out more effort to hold 12-14mph than I did to roll in the 15-17mph range just last year. Even with Chip and his trailer. That said, I still made it out and had a wonderful ride. The real physical rebuilding will come after my next and hopefully final surgery next week. Until then, I count myself lucky for every mile I'm able to spin. After, I'll be riding the couch for at least another 6 weeks.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,173 Posts
Today I loaded the car up with my usual range of gear and drove out to the 'old neighborhood' where Mrs. Newleaf and I spent our first few years in CO. Also where I broke my long bicycling hiatus and subsequently spent many happy hours in the saddle. After parking and assembling my rig, I set out with canine companion Chip to ride my single favorite section of the Cherry Creek trail for the first time in some 3 years.

A lot has changed! The dirt road and old railroad tie bridge which once stopped 9 out of 10 roadies dead are both long gone. The road has been paved and the bridge replaced with a modern, much larger version. New housing developments have sprouted where once there were only agricultural fields and prairie grasses. Most of the trail is as it was, though, and it was great to ride it once again. The ride brought back a lot of memories of mostly good times past in the saddle.

I ended the day with 20mi. Good times. I'm quite happy to be in the new place, but it was really good to revisit an old favorite. Lots of good memories out that way.

·
Administrator
9,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #17,474
Between rain and a doctors visit, today was my first ride of the week. Was going to ride with one of my teammates but he hadn’t been relieved yet (he’s a firefighter) so he canceled. Had to wait for Frankie to show up and did 30 miles with him this morning. Nice weather but the wind was crazy.

·
Spin Spin Spin
3,901 Posts
Nice little 12 mile tame restrictive brake bedding in ride on the CBD build...............rides nice, runs of out gears but will be good for actual offroad singletrack, not super bone jarring for having no suspension either. Did do a coupla jumps and climbs to check out gears, chain and carbon fork forgiveness....2.35s helped the sichiashun............lame tennis shoes was worse part of the ride. My feet regretted that choice.

·
YAY BAIKS!
1,541 Posts
My favorite kind of ride- running errands. Went to the store and came home with all this , which includes sack of potatoes, 750ml bottle of vodka, cans of beans and an 8# pork butt. It was about 60# all together. Put it all in my Ortlieb backrollers.

17461 - 17480 of 17548 Posts