Two Spoke Forums banner

17481 - 17500 of 17548 Posts

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,175 Posts
18mi today. Roads and trails were about the most crowded I've seen. With temps in the 60's and dirt routes turned into muddy wallows by the melting of recent snow, everyone seemed to end up getting pushed onto paved routes. It seems my recent rest day was not enough: I flat struggled to complete my relatively flat route, and really felt the few hills. Canine companion Chip and his trailer did not help in that respect, but I'm long since over worrying about that. He garnered more than his share of attention and even some accolades from passing roadies. Good times.

·
Spin Spin Spin
3,902 Posts
20210306_122535.jpg

Fabulous weather, fabulous singletrack, fabulous bbq/beer post ride feast, fabulous country road route to and from, fabulous score of grass fed beef. Such a needed and memorable day. God is great!

20210306_142424.jpg

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,175 Posts
Today likely marks my last day in the saddle before my upcoming surgery. Tomorrow I start 48hrs of not eating food, which seems incompatible with any kind of mileage. I did 18mi on the 'bent with canine companion Chip. It was an absolutely magnificent day, with temps in the low 60's and a light breeze out of the south. I'll miss my time out of the saddle during recovery, but I've made the most of what I've had since being authorized to return to the saddle in mid Feb. I've been out every day that the lack of snow allowed.

·
Administrator
9,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17,487 ·
Except for the ridiculous wind, yesterday started off very nicely for a good 40 mile bike ride. Got to the west parking lot (7 miles into the ride) and as I was getting ready to turn on my radar to ride in the housing complex, my brother calls. Said he is on his way to my house to drop something off. Since no one was home, I had to cut the ride short and ended up with a very short, 13 mile ride.

·
Administrator
9,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17,489 ·
I hope he dropped off something EXTRA GOOD!!!
Nah! I told him about a month ago I would upgrade the maps for his Garmin Nuvi. He’s completely technically challenged so of all days to drop it by, he did it while I was on a ride.

Did a nice 40 mile ride with Frankie today to make up for the short ride on Tuesday. Another day of ridiculous winds but the temps in the 80s made up for it.

·
Two skinny J's
21,324 Posts
NOPE 30 knott wind gusts this afternoon. Bike clean and lube day today :D

·
Administrator
9,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17,492 ·
Yesterday was a beautiful day for a bike ride. Perfect weather and tolerable wind gusts. The park had it's usual weekend overload crowd so we started off again in the housing complex next to the park. At the point where we turn around to head back, we decided to alter the route and add a few more miles by going to the end of the road we were approaching. Then we opted to take another detour to add a few more miles by taking a side street that ended up intersecting the road we take to go to the SR 56 trail. Well, we were already there so why not go to SR 56? So we did! With the exception of about 3 miles on two bike trails, the rest of 40 mile ride was done on some pretty busy roads. Gave my radar a real workout. Definitely plan on doing that one again.

·
Spin Spin Spin
3,902 Posts
Shouldn't have, lol.....rode the gt rigid hardtail and going through drainage channel hit a hole before the paved part, that a shock would've soaked up, otb and rolled down the uneven paving stones to bottom. Hit rt shin on bike in about 4 places between foot and knee, 50 cent piece size gouge by lft kneecap and various strawberries on forearms, shoulders, butt and hip. Can feel the stress of kinda catching myself in both wrist and hands. Only thing that broke skin was the kneecap thing amazingly. The bike had no scratches or damage anywhere somehow. Thanking God for catching me, coulda been such a worse incident. Feels like I jumped out of moving car. Camelbak, gloves and helmet looked like it never happened. Didn't even break sunglasses that were in camelbak due to foggyness even tho rolling a coupla times at least. Then got up, pushed bike up the hill and rode mile and a half back to house. Probably shoulda ran errands instead, which I'm doing now to help walk it off....with some ibuprofen and a bandaid.

Pre-shenanigan-fail pic. First krusty ride on the CBD and it's first crash. Bike did better than me....

20210315_093927.jpg

·
Premium Member
7,053 Posts
Shouldn't have, lol.....rode the gt rigid hardtail and going through drainage channel hit a hole before the paved part, that a shock would've soaked up, otb and rolled down the uneven paving stones to bottom. Hit rt shin on bike in about 4 places between foot and knee, 50 cent piece size gouge by lft kneecap and various strawberries on forearms, shoulders, butt and hip. Can feel the stress of kinda catching myself in both wrist and hands. Only thing that broke skin was the kneecap thing amazingly. The bike had no scratches or damage anywhere somehow. Thanking God for catching me, coulda been such a worse incident. Feels like I jumped out of moving car. Camelbak, gloves and helmet looked like it never happened. Didn't even break sunglasses that were in camelbak due to foggyness even tho rolling a coupla times at least. Then got up, pushed bike up the hill and rode mile and a half back to house. Probably shoulda ran errands instead, which I'm doing now to help walk it off....with some ibuprofen and a bandaid.

Pre-shenanigan-fail pic. First krusty ride on the CBD and it's first crash. Bike did better than me....

View attachment 52323
Glad it wasn’t worse.

·
Administrator
9,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17,496 ·
Hope you’re OK!

·
Spin Spin Spin
3,902 Posts
Thanks guys, coupla alleves and at work today workin out the kinks. Surpisingly just fine except gouge on kneecap needin a bandage for awhile. Nothin that hasn't happened before. Still think the big guy had a hand in how little I got out of this incident and very thankful. But y'all know i12ride more and soon.....maybe a night ride. That usually keeps things dialed back, lol, even tho it'd be hard to outride the lights I have.

·
Old, fat, and slow
781 Posts
If you can ride home it was a "good" crash (not the best terminology for a thing which never really good, but ... ) If you can ride the next day, a very good crash. You seem to excel at everything bike-related.

Good luck, blessings, good karma ... however one describes it, you had what you needed to not get hurt and everyone is glad.

·
Spin Spin Spin
3,902 Posts
Yeah, rode back, saw bluish purple tires and cranks instead of black for a bit and had to stop and check the helmet for damage and collect myself a little more, maybe a touch of shock. helmet unscathed rest of ride home was fine....translation slow and focused on ignoring my left knee hole. Appreciate the concern folks. Made it through work today fine and will ride within a coupla days to get back on the horse. Problem is the the air valve on rear tube on commuter is broken in weird fashion that doesn't allow me to add air. Currently waiting on a coupla michelin protek max self sealing tubes to show so I can swap it out. Guess I'll have to ride the gravel bike so I'll be prone to "behave" and just get some spinning in. Great weather and time off later this week and weekend so no excuses. Wife won't like it but she can always come with to keep tabs on me, lol.

17481 - 17500 of 17548 Posts