Two Spoke Forums banner

17501 - 17520 of 17548 Posts

·
Two skinny J's
21,324 Posts
Not one mile this week so far. In the midst of a bathroom make over( time crucnh as my daughter and two granddaughters will be here Friday for the weekend and they will need this bathroom :)), on call yet again and now it looks like a pretty nasty storm today and tomorrow.

·
Two skinny J's
21,324 Posts
Finally snuck a trainer ride in tonight. It's been a CRAZY busy week and the weekend looks no different. NASTY storms rolling through the area. As I was on the trainer I literally watched a lightning strike in front of the house.

Reactions: Dos_Ruedas

·
Spin Spin Spin
3,902 Posts
Another wknd of great weather coming so today will be take the Stache 7 into shop to get my WTB Ranger tires put on with new rim strips and fresh sealant. Washed it all up nice for them yesterday. Also ordering the SRAM Pro Bleed kit to do brake fluid and adjustment after I get it back. May also have shop put in my fork upgrade parts to be done with all the servicing needs on that bike. Fork is OK but that box of parts for it keeps hollering at me.

Tommorrow is local singletrack on my Fuji Reveal 26er. Haven't ridden it in quite awhile so I figured it'd be the ticket to ride after Monday's Olympic tumbling event.....slower, heavier with more travel and 30 gears to choose from. Should reign in the antics a bit and get some nice comfy spinning in...........

Reveal_12.JPG

I wore my "I do my own stunts" shirt Wednesday...had to.

·
Two skinny J's
21,324 Posts
Another wknd of great weather coming so today will be take the Stache 7 into shop to get my WTB Ranger tires put on with new rim strips and fresh sealant. Washed it all up nice for them yesterday. Also ordering the SRAM Pro Bleed kit to do brake fluid and adjustment after I get it back. May also have shop put in my fork upgrade parts to be done with all the servicing needs on that bike. Fork is OK but that box of parts for it keeps hollering at me.

Tommorrow is local singletrack on my Fuji Reveal 26er. Haven't ridden it in quite awhile so I figured it'd be the ticket to ride after Monday's Olympic tumbling event.....slower, heavier with more travel and 30 gears to choose from. Should reign in the antics a bit and get some nice comfy spinning in...........

View attachment 52347

I wore my "I do my own stunts" shirt Wednesday...had to.

View attachment 52346
I need that brake bleed kit and about had heart failure when I saw the retail price on that. I REFUSE to spend that kind of money on a tool like that :D

·
Spin Spin Spin
3,902 Posts
I need that brake bleed kit and about had heart failure when I saw the retail price on that. I REFUSE to spend that kind of money on a tool like that :D
I punted on the $83 SRAM Pro kit. (lowest shipped price from US seller) The SRAM standard kit with fluid was still $60 shipped at best. I do not have bleeding edge port on my Level T calipers so I punted and went with a $20 minimalist kit that comes with 2 syringes & dot 5.1 fluid.............

The other thing that sux about this is that LBS will basically charge you the same or more to do it as that Pro kit costs. So since this is supposed to be a yearly thing with dot 5.1 fluid, I figured I better learn how and just have to buy a $10 bottle of fluid next year. Bike is 2017 and I have never changed it. May need extra juice this year depending on how dirty it is. Not sure 100ml will be enough to do it twice to get clean if very dirty. One less thing to add to LBS bill tho. Glad the Stache is my only dot 5 fluid machine. My other 3 hydro disc bikes are all Shimano mineral oil. They has a $20 kit for that too. Kinda wouldn't mind spending the $13 for the actual SRAM oil tho..................

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,175 Posts
No ride today, but I'm out of the hospital and that much closer to getting back in the saddle....in another 6 weeks or so. The hospital stay was rough, but the surgery was successful. I'm home and on the mend now. Better, I enjoy a prognosis which makes it unlikely I'll need to return for more work.

I already miss my bikes and that'll get worse before it gets better, but next time I return to the saddle, it will be a longer term proposition.

This has been quite a rough patch, and I appreciate the support I've received here on Two Spoke. I hope to be around more in days to come. Thank you.

·
Old, fat, and slow
781 Posts
Both an excellent and a terrible day for a bike ride.

Excellent because the temperature was in the low-to-mid perfects, with slight overcast so there was enough light to bring out the colors in the scenery and no direct sun to cook my tender skin.

There was an annoying always-a-headwind breeze, but it was just a breeze. (I still cannot figure how the atmosphere can know which way I am going to turn and adjust air pressures accordingly …. Wonders of Nature, I guess.)

The terrible part of the day was me. I wasn’t two miles into the ride before I realized that my heart and lungs were not planning to attend.

Even that worked out well, though, because I took a short loop that emphasized beauty over the planned route which emphasized exertion. Instead riding up hills, I had to ride under tree canopies, past woods and the manicured lawns of wealthy people, past wetlands and farmland. Instead of sweating up inclines I had to endure sightings of ospreys and wading birds and turtles …. Oh well. Builds character, I guess.

There was one short challenging section, about 150 yards at a max of 4.6 percent halfway through the loop. I just downshifted and slowed from a walking pace to a crawl and labored my way to the top with nary a chest pain.

I normally eschew that segment because it leads to a narrow, twisty downhill (barely noticeable decline, for you non-Flatahoma residents) with a lot of blind curves and some bad pavement. Normally I won’t ride there because too often impatient drivers have squeezed me into dangerous situations, but I figured a Saturday morning might be alright, and I was right. The only car which overtook me left me lots of room and let me get into the middle of the lane to avoid the holes.

That segment ends with a left-hand turn, which I generally dislike—crossing traffic is always sketchy, but this time, a friendly couple in an SUV gave me time to get around the corner and out of the way, and even waved.

I felt so good I even considered adding a few miles to my route—for about 15 seconds, when I started a quarter-mile of about one percent incline, which was enough to leave me winded and suffering.

No matter. I survived all the gentle rises and the head-on breeze, and I enjoyed tremendously the scenery.

For all you people who cannot ride because of the weather, or your jobs, or personal issues, and Mr. Newleaf who just lacks the guts ( :ROFLMAO: ) I tried to do my part to keep the site active. Hopefully I can keep filling the gap until you folks get back out on the road (or above the turf, in I12Ride’s case.)

·
Spin Spin Spin
3,902 Posts
Got about 23 miles of glorious singletrack in this morning.....riding a heavy slow 26er in perfect riding conditions. Explored 3 new sections of the trailsystem we rode adding to the excellence of the day. Longhorn burger and beer back at the house and a nice nap while the wife ran her errands......hmmmmm, only 0430, daylight left, what to do? No one say yardwork. Still in denial of spring, yard can wait, I'm sure the lovely hoa people will send me a letter when it's time to do yardwork, lol.

IMG_6410.jpg

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,175 Posts
Both an excellent and a terrible day for a bike ride.

Excellent because the temperature was in the low-to-mid perfects, with slight overcast so there was enough light to bring out the colors in the scenery and no direct sun to cook my tender skin.

There was an annoying always-a-headwind breeze, but it was just a breeze. (I still cannot figure how the atmosphere can know which way I am going to turn and adjust air pressures accordingly …. Wonders of Nature, I guess.)

The terrible part of the day was me. I wasn’t two miles into the ride before I realized that my heart and lungs were not planning to attend.

Even that worked out well, though, because I took a short loop that emphasized beauty over the planned route which emphasized exertion. Instead riding up hills, I had to ride under tree canopies, past woods and the manicured lawns of wealthy people, past wetlands and farmland. Instead of sweating up inclines I had to endure sightings of ospreys and wading birds and turtles …. Oh well. Builds character, I guess.

There was one short challenging section, about 150 yards at a max of 4.6 percent halfway through the loop. I just downshifted and slowed from a walking pace to a crawl and labored my way to the top with nary a chest pain.

I normally eschew that segment because it leads to a narrow, twisty downhill (barely noticeable decline, for you non-Flatahoma residents) with a lot of blind curves and some bad pavement. Normally I won’t ride there because too often impatient drivers have squeezed me into dangerous situations, but I figured a Saturday morning might be alright, and I was right. The only car which overtook me left me lots of room and let me get into the middle of the lane to avoid the holes.

That segment ends with a left-hand turn, which I generally dislike—crossing traffic is always sketchy, but this time, a friendly couple in an SUV gave me time to get around the corner and out of the way, and even waved.

I felt so good I even considered adding a few miles to my route—for about 15 seconds, when I started a quarter-mile of about one percent incline, which was enough to leave me winded and suffering.

No matter. I survived all the gentle rises and the head-on breeze, and I enjoyed tremendously the scenery.

For all you people who cannot ride because of the weather, or your jobs, or personal issues, and Mr. Newleaf who just lacks the guts ( :ROFLMAO: ) I tried to do my part to keep the site active. Hopefully I can keep filling the gap until you folks get back out on the road (or above the turf, in I12Ride’s case.)
:D:LOL::ROFLMAO: Maelochs, you're awesome! Thank you for brightening my day with your ride description and artful taunts :p. I'm sorry to hear you couldn't get your whole body to cooperate during your saddle time, but it sounds like you nevertheless enjoyed an enchanting ride. Bravo!

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
No ride today, but I'm out of the hospital and that much closer to getting back in the saddle....in another 6 weeks or so. The hospital stay was rough, but the surgery was successful. I'm home and on the mend now. Better, I enjoy a prognosis which makes it unlikely I'll need to return for more work.

I already miss my bikes and that'll get worse before it gets better, but next time I return to the saddle, it will be a longer term proposition.

This has been quite a rough patch, and I appreciate the support I've received here on Two Spoke. I hope to be around more in days to come. Thank you.
New,
Happy to hear the surgery was a success.

When I’ve been outta commission, I’ve always found solace cleaning my bike while semi watching cycling videos on YouTube.

Get well soon.

·
Two skinny J's
21,324 Posts
I punted on the $83 SRAM Pro kit. (lowest shipped price from US seller) The SRAM standard kit with fluid was still $60 shipped at best. I do not have bleeding edge port on my Level T calipers so I punted and went with a $20 minimalist kit that comes with 2 syringes & dot 5.1 fluid.............

The other thing that sux about this is that LBS will basically charge you the same or more to do it as that Pro kit costs. So since this is supposed to be a yearly thing with dot 5.1 fluid, I figured I better learn how and just have to buy a $10 bottle of fluid next year. Bike is 2017 and I have never changed it. May need extra juice this year depending on how dirty it is. Not sure 100ml will be enough to do it twice to get clean if very dirty. One less thing to add to LBS bill tho. Glad the Stache is my only dot 5 fluid machine. My other 3 hydro disc bikes are all Shimano mineral oil. They has a $20 kit for that too. Kinda wouldn't mind spending the $13 for the actual SRAM oil tho..................
Mine do have the bleeding edge but 20 bucks for that isn't so bad. I never use Sleeze Bay tho...:( Have to see if Bazos Bay has it for that kinda coin.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I'm been riding for an unusual four days - normally I switch off with a run or weights, etc. On Satruday indoor training when it was cold and then suddenly it got warm here the next day. So I got in an intense MTB ride the next day, a pretty good but windy ride the next, and then yesterday I rode with two friends; one of whom is recovering from shoulder surgery so we rode slow, and then my wife finished work and I rode with her at a good clip. Some glorious riding after a long, long, long Winter here in Northern NY.

·
Two skinny J's
21,324 Posts
I'm been riding for an unusual four days - normally I switch off with a run or weights, etc. On Satruday indoor training when it was cold and then suddenly it got warm here the next day. So I got in an intense MTB ride the next day, a pretty good but windy ride the next, and then yesterday I rode with two friends; one of whom is recovering from shoulder surgery so we rode slow, and then my wife finished work and I rode with her at a good clip. Some glorious riding after a long, long, long Winter here in Northern NY.
Between endless rain and other things I think I've ridden my mtb twice in as many years. Seriously considering selling mine. I started riding prior to smart indoor trainers only as a way to keep spinning in the cold Virginia winters :D

·
Registered
791 Posts
Between endless rain and other things I think I've ridden my mtb twice in as many years. Seriously considering selling mine. I started riding prior to smart indoor trainers only as a way to keep spinning in the cold Virginia winters :D
I guess I had thought that you did a bit of mountain biking here and there, I was thinking I saw an occasional photo of your's on here.

You must have some great trails down there though?

My biggest gripe with MTB'ing is having to DRIVE somewhere to go biking.

And secondarily not having anyone to ever ride with - the military guys here are way too fast and crazy for me, one of my friend's who mountain bikes used to be a pro rider so he's WAY above my level, and my road bike friends are offended if I ask if they would ever consider Mountain Biking so no go there. One LBS had regular rides, pretty casual but fun, and they stopped those last year due to COVIDian concerns.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,175 Posts
New,
Happy to hear the surgery was a success.

When I’ve been outta commission, I’ve always found solace cleaning my bike while semi watching cycling videos on YouTube.

Get well soon.
Thanks, Dos! I've been gtting antsy on the couch while devouring sci fi novels as though they're going out of style. I would love to do some bike cleaning, but that'll have to wait until I'm cleared to lift more than 10lbs. My touring bike is presently waiting at the LBS where it underwent wheel work while I myself was in the 'body and fender shop'.

Hoping my brother will find time to pick it up today, as it is far beyond my present ability to lift, much less ride. It'll be weeks before that changes, but at least I have a solid number, unlike the last surgery's 'for the forseeable future'. Thank you for your support, and here's hoping you get to enjoy many happy miles in the days and weeks to come!

·
Two skinny J's
21,324 Posts
I guess I had thought that you did a bit of mountain biking here and there, I was thinking I saw an occasional photo of your's on here.

You must have some great trails down there though?

My biggest gripe with MTB'ing is having to DRIVE somewhere to go biking.

And secondarily not having anyone to ever ride with - the military guys here are way too fast and crazy for me, one of my friend's who mountain bikes used to be a pro rider so he's WAY above my level, and my road bike friends are offended if I ask if they would ever consider Mountain Biking so no go there. One LBS had regular rides, pretty casual but fun, and they stopped those last year due to COVIDian concerns.
I used to ride fairly regularly ( since we moved a few years back I'm at least 30 minutes to anywhere and I LOVE it that way :)) and really still would if it wasn't for the monsoon like weather we've had. I agree with you 100% about having to pack up and go somewhere to ride, defeats the purpose of a bike right?

We have TONS of great trails and tho mileage wise they are relatively close because of all the water the closest flat ish, fastest ish trail is 35 minuets away and if i want to get to some decent trails it's a minimum hour drive and to get to great trails is just short of two hours. I just don't have that kind of time I can afford to giveaway anymore. It/s 3/4 of day to ride and nothing gets done at home....I can't do that and stay married :D I have a very understanding wife in regards to my hobbies but :D

I'm in the same boat. There is a group over in Williamsburg that is just WAY to fast for me on MTB so what's the point of riding with them? I can ride solo anytime or anywhere :D I have a good friend I can ride with that's about the same level of rider on a mtb as me but again back to finding time in our schedules.

BIGGEST limiting factor is being a Papa now. My 2 granddaughters are here with some frequency and time with them is not something I'm willing to give up. AND we have a grandson due next month! I don't want to look back and say damn...I should have spent more time with them growing up, My oldest granddaughter gets so excited everytie we see her she comes running from the car yelling Papa, papa, papa like it's been months since we last saw each other and I want it to stay that way! Sorry I digress a weeeee bit, mu apologies

·
Registered
791 Posts
Frigging wind has been terrible here too. It seems to get worse every year.

Yea, like everything in life it's all about priorities and what's the most important.

I used to ride fairly regularly ( since we moved a few years back I'm at least 30 minutes to anywhere and I LOVE it that way :)) and really still would if it wasn't for the monsoon like weather we've had. I agree with you 100% about having to pack up and go somewhere to ride, defeats the purpose of a bike right?

BIGGEST limiting factor is being a Papa now. My 2 granddaughters are here with some frequency and time with them is not something I'm willing to give up. AND we have a grandson due next month! I don't want to look back and say damn...I should have spent more time with them growing up, My oldest granddaughter gets so excited everytie we see her she comes running from the car yelling Papa, papa, papa like it's been months since we last saw each other and I want it to stay that way! Sorry I digress a weeeee bit, mu apologies

17501 - 17520 of 17548 Posts