Two Spoke Forums banner

17521 - 17540 of 17548 Posts

·
Two skinny J's
21,324 Posts
I'm just gonna call todays ride "The SHORT ride" not because of mileage but because of the calls I kept getting. One of our newer, younger techs picked up an outage( that was actually mine at the end of the day- he works much later than I) and it looked like commercial power was out, easy one it seemed. Well I get a call about 20 minutes into my ride this evening and he's blowing up my personal phone so I figured it was something bad. Ends up he has a short and he tracks it text book but can't figure it out, happens and it sucks. after about the 3rd phone call I finally get him straightened out. Finished my ride and enjoyed.

Worth noting, after 3 years riding here I've never seen or been chased by a dog worth mentioning. Tonight must have been hunt club release the hounds or walking beagle night. There must have been 20 beagles out on the back roads tonight.

Also worth noting, with 6" of rain in the last 2 days I had to have my spousal unit drop me off at the end of our lane, nowhere to park, to soft. I's sink my truck :D
0386DF0A-C173-4E54-805D-9A9C2EA4F7FC.jpeg

·
Spin Spin Spin
3,902 Posts
Hey, did a road ride today....................barefooted on eggbeaters around the block after giving the Allez some new shoes after 10 yrs. The tires on it were cracking last time I aired them up so I decided it was time for some new ones so IF I wanted to do road ride on a road bike I could. Lovin them so far. Panaracer Ribmo 700x25..................

20210326_172211.jpg

20210326_172248.jpg
20210326_172402.jpg

·
Old, fat, and slow
781 Posts
Excellent post ... because it reminded me that I need to change the front tire on my Workswell. Last ride I noticed it was finally wearing out---and promptly forgot. Nothing like being many miles out when the tire reminds you.

·
Spin Spin Spin
3,902 Posts
Rode my 1993 Diamond Back Vertex today just for something different...........it performed a magic trick. Broke a drive side spoke after jumping off sidewalk and going on a trail part thru grass and somehow bent the long end connected to rim almost 180 and hooked the chain thru center of link stopping the wheel and skidding to a stop. I got off to see what happened and when moving bike forward it just kept pulling rr derailleur forward and stopping the tire. Took me a minute to see the broke spoke thru the chain thing. I thought the chain came off and jammed and broke the derailleur at first. Wrapped the spoke around another because it was being hard headed about unscrewing from the nipple. of course the brake pad was rubbing rim because wheel wasn't true in that spot so I undid the brake noodle deal so it wouldn't rub all the way back home. When I got home I noticed the sharkfin chain stay protector got pulled over against rim and had a notch worn in it from the ride back to house. Yea, drive side so cassette has to come off. Weather was un epic too. Still managed 28.5 miles.........whatever

20210327_111528.jpg

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,175 Posts
No, but I'm getting closer: just visited the surgeon to have the line of metal staples in my stomach and lower abdomen removed. Hopefully that'll mean regaining the ability to wear pants again, soon. Fleece PJs are comfortable enough, but I'm just not comfortable sporting them while wandering around in public. With pants, I can at least get out to walk instead of riding the couch while awaiting my next visit with the sugeon, the one which should end with authorization to return to the saddle. I need the latter, will take the former for now.

·
Spin Spin Spin
3,902 Posts
26.7 far out belt drive chilly perfect windless greenbelt miles......after replacing tube in rear wheel so tire could be inflated to proper psi. Had top of valve stem break where adapter screws on to air tire up....on an expensive Michelin ProTek Max self sealing tube. Stupid Amazon sent schrader versions instead of presta even tho we ordered presta so now I have 2 Michelin ProTek Max 700x40 schrader tubes that completely useless to me and some dumb sunlite spare non sealing tube in there for time being. Have missed riding this bike. Didn't know how much until this morning.

20210402_083603.jpg

So first of all there is music playing, then a loud bell & saying rider..........then a super loud whistle that pisses off people because they have to stop staring at their intestines to see what's about to happen. Loves me some situational awareness challenged zombies. The downside of not riding fat tire bike and trying to share multi use pathways with the clueless wanderers ambling about in outer space. Hard not to wanna slap them when I go by. Guess that's what the super loud whistle does when all other attempts to alert fail. Priceless reactions when it comes to that tho. Faces of terror like they are about to be hit by train.....but still mostly annoying to have to wakey wakey the sleepwalkers. I still think I need a boat horn thing but me whistling that loud is free.

Stupidest part about the whole thing is that when I am on a MTB people flee the sidewalk when I don't need them to but then on the commuter I can't get them to share or out of the way. Short bus specialness...............

Reactions: maelochs

·
Spin Spin Spin
3,902 Posts
So cool to have a spot to do that......

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,175 Posts
Way to HTFU, Nigal, and thanks for the pics of your adventure. It looks like you found a great spot for it!

·
YAY BAIKS!
1,543 Posts
So cool to have a spot to do that......
it’s actually on the Buckeye Trail which is a footpath so I rode to the closest road crossing and hime-a-bike the 1/4 mile to the shelter. The Buckeye Trail is 1,800ish miles and I would love to thru-bike it.

·
Two skinny J's
21,324 Posts
Flat wore me out today

·
Spin Spin Spin
3,902 Posts
Is there a "What Have You Done to Your Bike Today" thread somewhere? For mods or maintenance performed. Don't wanna clutter up ride or purchase threads with it.

·
Spin Spin Spin
3,902 Posts
I'll kick it off with the brake job on the Stache when I get the rotors. Got bleed kit and pads. Also have a black ABS+ dampening adjustment cap on the way.

·
Old, fat, and slow
781 Posts
I am going to finally, and sadly, remove the excellent Vittoria Open Corsa from the front wheel of my Workswell. I love these tires for the front---they don't last at all in back, with my weight---but they are like 160- tpi and 205 grams and they Seem sticky in turns ... not that I ever turn fast. Just my favorite tires ever, for no logical reason.

Finally the outer casing has split, and I just don't want to risk it ....

Replacing it with a Vittoria Rubino Pro--with Added Graphene !! ( :D ), no idea if it is any good.

I use Michelin Pro Endurance in the back ... they seem to handle the abuse I force onto them,.

·
Spin Spin Spin
3,902 Posts
I considered the rubino pros....just found better deal on the ribmos.....Imuna make that service thread so we can put this type stuff in it and keep this and the recent purchase threads cleaner.....

17521 - 17540 of 17548 Posts