Two Spoke Forums banner

17581 - 17600 of 17631 Posts

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,300 Posts
22 sweet mi today, with canine companion Chip. He ran 3.3mi and seemed ready for more, but only toward the end. At the start he showed little interest in getting out of the trailer at all. With some 2mi left to go, he began whining to get out and once on the tarmac, ran faster than usual. We are well into local spring, and I enjoyed the verdant greenery brought by recent rains along with the perfume of various blossoming plants. I set out with a mild breeze in my face, intending to catch it as a tail wind toward the end of my loop. Instead it shifted partway in and I got it as a headwind in both directions. Fortunately it topped out in the 10-12mph range.

Toward the end, my route carried my near a local freeway before dipping beneath it. Bad day to be in a car: traffic was at a near standstill in one direction. Turns out that was caused by a 3 car crash with a roll over not even 100 yds past my underpass. One car was upside down in the traffic lanes while another was sitting sideways relative to traffic flow, and a 3rd had plunged off the roadway and down an embankment to come to rest against the retaining fence separating the freeway from the MUP running parallel through that section. First responders were very much in evidence, but it was pretty fresh. I hope no one was hurt, and am happy I wasn't in the area when it happened. Better to enjoy some self-powered miles through beautiful scenery on a magnificent day.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,300 Posts
Another day, another ride. 24mi this time, towing canine companion Chip with the touring bike. He ran 4mi today, and is presently sacked out on the couch. Good times for us both. Today was a little warmer and a bit less breezy than yesterday.

·
Two skinny J's
21,453 Posts
Another day, another ride. 24mi this time, towing canine companion Chip with the touring bike. He ran 4mi today, and is presently sacked out on the couch. Good times for us both. Today was a little warmer and a bit less breezy than yesterday.
That's gota be a tremendous work out pulling the K9 and trailer :D

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,300 Posts
That's gota be a tremendous work out pulling the K9 and trailer :D
Thanks, Rola! The dog and trailer together weigh in at a bit over 40lbs. The single wheel trailer tracks wonderfully and doesn't play speed brake in the wind the way my double wheel cargo trailer did, but I still notice it on hills. I can definitely go further and do it faster when riding unencumbered, but most of my rides are less about hauling a$$ and more about enjoying the outdoors in good company. I lost a lot of last year to long-haul Covid symptoms, followed by a pair of surgeries. I have a lot of fitness ground to make up. That has improved since being cleared to return to riding, but I have a ways yet to go. Bringing Chip along helps to make up for the outside time my medical issues have cost him, and increases my fitness level a bit faster. Win-win!

·
Two skinny J's
21,453 Posts
Thanks, Rola! The dog and trailer together weigh in at a bit over 40lbs. The single wheel trailer tracks wonderfully and doesn't play speed brake in the wind the way my double wheel cargo trailer did, but I still notice it on hills. I can definitely go further and do it faster when riding unencumbered, but most of my rides are less about hauling a$$ and more about enjoying the outdoors in good company. I lost a lot of last year to long-haul Covid symptoms, followed by a pair of surgeries. I have a lot of fitness ground to make up. That has improved since being cleared to return to riding, but I have a ways yet to go. Bringing Chip along helps to make up for the outside time my medical issues have cost him, and increases my fitness level a bit faster. Win-win!
Everybody knows it takes a lot of work to build the fitness levels up and days, it seems, for it all to vanish :D

·
Two skinny J's
21,453 Posts
I did and it wasn't worth the time or effort. It's been a very long time since I last BONKED but I hit the wall today in very short order.

I could blame on the heat and humidity and spending way to much time in the bucket splicing today and that proabaly affected it but honestly over the past 2 weeks I've been highly unmotivated to go out and ride. I'm just mentally beat from the the &^%^%*^ wind...I'm sick of it!

Sooooo, I have less than 100 miles in 2 weeks which is really pretty sad but, life happens and I've just been busy with other things and family lately.

Plan to put a little work in over the long weekend but alas...is supposed to rain Saturday and Sunday, at least good chances of rain which de motivates as well :D

Ok....I'm jumping off my boo who box now :D

Reactions: maelochs

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,300 Posts
I did and it wasn't worth the time or effort. It's been a very long time since I last BONKED but I hit the wall today in very short order.

I could blame on the heat and humidity and spending way to much time in the bucket splicing today and that proabaly affected it but honestly over the past 2 weeks I've been highly unmotivated to go out and ride. I'm just mentally beat from the the &^%^%*^ wind...I'm sick of it!

Sooooo, I have less than 100 miles in 2 weeks which is really pretty sad but, life happens and I've just been busy with other things and family lately.

Plan to put a little work in over the long weekend but alas...is supposed to rain Saturday and Sunday, at least good chances of rain which de motivates as well :D

I'm sorry to hear you're in 'that' place. No fun at all. Hang in there, man.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,300 Posts
Today I almost didn't ride. Got a late start due to a forgotten errand and found myself in a generally sh!tty mood when the opportunity rolled around. Tomorrow features my 2nd Covid vaccine backed by predicted t-storms, so I loaded up canine companion Chip and hit the trail while the hitting was good. So glad I did! My mood turned quickly and it was wonderful to be out.

Chip ran a season best 5mi and seemed ready for more. I was ready to keep right on riding myself, but called it at 15mi in order to get some things done around the house. Also because I was straight starving and wanted something more than a Clif bar. Had the cats been a bit slower when I came in, I might have inhaled one :D.

·
Spin Spin Spin
3,963 Posts

someone needs a foul weather worry free bike to embrace the cool soul cleansing aspects of riding in the rain. there is much to like about riding in the rain......rain, not thunderstorms. just like riding at night, rain rides are whole different thing of their own. my yellow submarine....we do foulness and diggit....

C70CFE17-9E50-4D7C-A051-10F8B59A2BE5.jpeg

·
Old, fat, and slow
860 Posts
I bought my Fuji with discs specifically so i could ride in the rain .... because we all know that when you have disc brakes, your tires' coefficient of friction rises sharply. :D

I don't mind rain rides but it can be hard to get started----easier now that the heat is here, but as long as it is rain and not wind-driven eyeball-piercing blindness bombs, a little rain is okay.

·
Spin Spin Spin
3,963 Posts
Punched out aother 17 or so yesterday....nice that the country is opening up so slalom cones have other places to be.....

20210530_155627.jpg

·
Spin Spin Spin
3,963 Posts
Time stops while airborn but distance does not.......wuz I on drone cam again?.......blutoof playin UP on iheart, couldn't hear it.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,300 Posts
I set out today feeling crappy and expecting I'd do well to hit 10mi. After a rough weekend out of the saddle, I wanted to at least let canine companion Chip log some running mileage. Once we were on the trail, things began to look up. The day was amazing and trail usage light. Chip brought his running legs. My own legs proved stronger than expected and I ended up spinning out 40 happy miles. Chip ran a personal best 6.5mi - a whole 10k! He has hiked further, but at much lower speeds. For my part, this marked my first 40mi ride since last year. The route mostly consisted of a loop I haven't done in more than a year, with a few curlicues. Good times.

·
Old, fat, and slow
860 Posts
I was going to enter this in “What did you do to your bike today," but then it mutated ……

What I did to my bike a couple days ago, was make it go up hills, very slowly.

I was working my butt off, but the bike just wouldn’t cooperate. I got impatient, but then I recalled all the miles we have spent together, so I decided to stay with the bike as it crept upwards.

The danged bike went more slowly on each subsequent hill. No matter how hard I tried to motivate it, the beast just didn’t want to budge. I feel like I almost had to drag it up the last hill.

Part Two—what my bike did to me …….

My bike apparently decided to take its revenge today.

I had a business meeting and planned to ride my bike. However as soon as I took it off the rack and the rear tire touched the floor, I knew I was doomed---I felt the squishiness of a flat tire.

I did a high-speed tube change and roared off towards my meeting. After a couple miles I realized I was going to be late---no way I could sustain the volume of my roar---so I roared back on home, (probably all the neighbors were wondering what the roaring was about,) soaked in sweat, changed into non-cyclist (what are they called, “street” clothes? “Normal” clothes? Wasted closet space?) and drove---please don’t condemn me yet---drove to the appointment.

I only did it to be polite. I wouldn’t want people associating cyclists with being late—just sweaty and oddly dressed. Please try to understand ---and forgive.

The people I was supposed to meet blew me off, so after waiting an hour I drove home, only to have them immediately suggest a remeet. Blessings from bike heaven! I got back into my proper clothes, loaded up my bike and headed out.

Five miles out, I got a blowout---and actual gunshot-type blowout, where suddenly the rear wheel wants to go in several directions at once. Oh, well, right? I managed to land the bike safely and got down to bike business.

I contacted the people I was meeting and explained that I’d be late (not sure how they interpreted “flat tire” because almost no one I know who drives has ever had one) and did a lightning-fast tube swap. I pumped up, rode off, and made it to within a mile of my destination when the rear tire deflated again (this time giving me enough warning that I had time to downshift and pull off the road, at least.)

I had one more tube but I wasn’t about to use it until I figured out why the tires were popping.

I walked---will the censors bleep out that word?---Walked the final mile to my appointment. (Oh, the shame.) If the folks there were mystified by me getting two flats, I cannot imagine what they thought when I said I was walking (“Doesn’t he know about AAA, or Uber?”)

After the meeting I found that the tire tread had plenty of rubber. However a very tiny section of the sidewall had separated from the bead---maybe half an inch, just enough that if I hit a bump with that section down the tube could bulge through and pop on the next bump.

It’s a shame. I really liked these tires—28 mm Hutchinson Fusion Five---they seemed to be round and rubbery, just the way I like tires, and they didn’t skid under the tiny cornering and braking loads I use. However, two so far have had the same bead separation. I will have to give them Two Patches Down for that bead issue.

Luckily I had a tire boot and managed to get back home actually riding the bike. It would have been a three-hour walk and I already wasn’t in a great mood---plus I hadn’t had a chance to eat all day. I considered stopping at a pet store to get a cat, but it turns out they ask questions about how you plan to maintain the cat and such …. “No, no food please. Why would I want to feed it? Isn’t already plump and healthy?”

Bottom line is, I feel really betrayed. I stuck with that lazy, sluggish bike while it limped up hills all day, and two days later it stabs me in the inner tube? Twice?

If a man cannot trust his bike …. I am not joking, the End Times really are coming.

(This post is written in honor of He Who Cannot Be Named (rhymes with John_V) who kept this thread alive for so long.)

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,300 Posts
Only 12mi today. I was still tired from yesterday's 40mi and couldn't seem to find a good rhythm. Canine companion Chip had no such troubles and logged another 3mi of running. At water stops, he found the nearest grass and either splooted or rolled onto his back for belly rubs. One of us is very well trained. There were plenty of belly rubs :D.

Would that I'd had more energy. The day was sunny and beautiful, with temps in the mid 70's and a light breeze. Recent rains have all the waterways running high and fast without being flooded. The reservoirs are filling nicely. Lots of flowers and blossoms still to be enjoyed. I so love Spring, and the saddle is the way to enjoy it!

The only dark spot on the day, aside from my energy level, was the two roadies who inexplicably stopped, front wheel to front wheel, right spang in the middle of the route's only screaming descent. They were standing there straddling their bikes where two trails came together, leaving maybe 2' of clearance on one side. I rang my bell as I approached and as though it were a signal, the one on the left stepped off his bike and bent over to examine the inflated rear tire. Thereby taking away nearly all the already limited passing clearance. On a descent which can easily support 30+mph.

I slowed down even more than I already had. Thought for a moment I'd have to leave the trail altogether, but was instead able to just squeeze past. I almost never pass others with so little clearance, but I'm afraid that level of obliviousness and entitlement got to me. I said "excuse me" as I passed, but I'd be lying if I claimed my tone was even vaguely close to polite or nice. Oh well. The rest of the ride was good, and Chip's single wheel trailer is great with tight spaces.

·
Spin Spin Spin
3,963 Posts
People's lack of situational awareness and consideration for others sucks so often and so much. But you're the bad guy if you whistle super loud right by them after 3 other alerts have failed and they soil themselves.....haha too effin bad, quit staring at your intestines a-wipes.

17581 - 17600 of 17631 Posts