Two Spoke Forums banner

17601 - 17620 of 17631 Posts

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,300 Posts
23mi today. Went out with the touring bike and canine companion Chip. We did a sweet loop incorporating a local greenway with mileage on the Highline Canal. It felt good to be back on the touring bike, though much as I hate to admit it, my recumbent is vastly more comfortable. My sit bones are still unhappy, but there's only one way to get 'em ready for the higher mileage I'm chasing. Chip only ran a quarter mile today. Not sure if that's the result of being too tired from previous days or the fact that temps were edging into the 80* range today. No matter. He got out to sniff and pee at water stops, seemed to enjoy his trailer time otherwise. I keep an eye on the status of his ears and tail for queues on how he's feeling.

Toward the end of the ride, we stopped at a little picnic bench overlooking a local reservoir and hung out for a few minutes to enjoy the scenery. An MTB rider approached with questions about where the road leading across the reservoir's dam led. It felt good to be able to list the options quickly and confidently, the way I'd talk about the back of one of my hands. The rider was camping locally and wanted to be sure he could get back to his camp without needing to double back. Positive news is always nice to share. What a beautiful day.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,300 Posts
Today, the folding MTB got the nod. After its front tube was replaced due to a bulging valve stem. WTF? That's the second time that has happened, and on two different bikes. I decided to leave canine companion Chip home this time and regretted it for most of the ride. Other than that, it was good mileage. Later in the day than my usual rides, the temp started at 90* but fell to 85* by the time I returned home. I played on some singletrack and marveled at the way the bike just comes alive on dirt. It's a folding comfort MTB, nothing aggressive, but it sure is fun to play with off pavement.

The up side of leaving Chip at home was that despite my tired legs, the route's hills felt much flatter and easier than usual. Chopping ~40lbs off my riding weight will do that, I guess. Now if I could only lose the spare tire I've accumulated around the middle...

·
Spin Spin Spin
3,963 Posts
yeah, 2006 model, classic GT geometry/young enuff to has rr disc mount was my requirement.....27.5x2.35 up front and 26x2.35 out back. Nobby Nics with bunch of tread to gather mud and not much clearance for it, lol......oval 34t / 11-32 9 spd / rapidfire plus.

·
Two skinny J's
21,453 Posts
Yea...today was an expensive day. Small group of which there were some I did not know. How can I say this...I'll just say it. Had I Known they were hollerers I would have skipped the ride. By this I mean someone always yelling "car up, car back, slowing, stopping, etc. etc"

I DESPISE being on rides like that. It causes confusing and is sooooooo unnecessary.

They got me today. 12 miles into a metric there was one guy in the back yelling stopping and another in front hollering slowing.... so the guy in front of me locks it up and catches me TOTALLY unprepared for that move. There as no way for me to stop quick enough, he had discs and stopped VERY fast. BLAM I drill him and all I can hear is my front spokes pinging like banjo strings.

I sat there on the ground stunned and afraid to look. My front wheel was soooo out of round we had to loosen the brake cable so the brakes wouldn't rub.

As I stood up I realized I was a bloody mess, left arm, left shoulder, left thigh, left leg,

What a mess, 49 miles of riding like this kinda sucked.

Just to finish this shit show off proper, we stopped about 10 miles form the finish and these guys wanted to sit and sip water and kool aid which for an old man lie me is not the thing to do, Shit starts locking up and cramps are sure to follow...guess what CRAMPS to finish this ride. we started at 67* and finished at 92* with 86% humidity but started with 100% humidity if you can believe that :D

Glad today is over. Guess I'm doing riding for a while, lawd knows how long it will take to get parts and shop time. Kind of shitty year me in that regard, boats in the shop bike in the shop...Guess I can either ride the mtb or my old trainer bike :D

Ok, I'm off to drown my sorrows in a good brew :D
Peace!

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,300 Posts
Yea...today was an expensive day. Small group of which there were some I did not know. How can I say this...I'll just say it. Had I Known they were hollerers I would have skipped the ride. By this I mean someone always yelling "car up, car back, slowing, stopping, etc. etc"

I DESPISE being on rides like that. It causes confusing and is sooooooo unnecessary.

They got me today. 12 miles into a metric there was one guy in the back yelling stopping and another in front hollering slowing.... so the guy in front of me locks it up and catches me TOTALLY unprepared for that move. There as no way for me to stop quick enough, he had discs and stopped VERY fast. BLAM I drill him and all I can hear is my front spokes pinging like banjo strings.

I sat there on the ground stunned and afraid to look. My front wheel was soooo out of round we had to loosen the brake cable so the brakes wouldn't rub.

As I stood up I realized I was a bloody mess, left arm, left shoulder, left thigh, left leg,

Just to finish this shit show off proper, we stopped about 10 miles form the finish and these guys wanted to sit and sip water and kool aid which for an old man lie me is not the thing to do, Shit starts locking up and cramps are sure to follow...guess what CRAMPS to finish this ride. we started at 67* and finished at 92* with 86% humidity but started with 100% humidity if you can believe that :D

Glad today is over. Guess I'm doing riding for a while, lawd knows how long it will take to get parts and shop time. Kind of shitty year me in that regard, boats in the shop bike in the shop...Guess I can either ride the mtb or my old trainer bike :D

Peace!
I'm sorry to hear how badly things went south on you. That's no fun at all. I hope he damage - both to you and your bike - ends up being less extensive and more quickly repaired than it presently appears. Hang in there, man.

·
Spin Spin Spin
3,963 Posts
Hmmmm, so you're sayin I'm better off doing solo on road rides.....if I get curious enuff for one. I have been on a ride similar to that minus the crash and yes, stupid nonsensical dangerous bs.....not for me. Hope things heal and turn around for ya. My boats are kayaks so there are more good days with them than the day you get it and the day you get rid of it.

·
Two skinny J's
21,453 Posts
Hmmmm, so you're sayin I'm better off doing solo on road rides.....if I get curious enuff for one. I have been on a ride similar to that minus the crash and yes, stupid nonsensical dangerous bs.....not for me. Hope things heal and turn around for ya. My boats are kayaks so there are more good days with them than the day you get it and the day you get rid of it.
Getting a little off track, but yea we have kayaks as well. Being on a rivah at the mouth of the Mobjack Bay, we kinda have to play the tidal thing along with the wind. Lake kayaking is a whole nother thing :D

Group rides are great with the right people. I just can't for the life of me figure all the hollering. I few simple well know hand gestures do quite well.

I'll just say the times I run into that ( hollering) it's a particular subset of riders and leave it at that.

·
Two skinny J's
21,453 Posts
So sorry to hear of your mishap rola. here’s to hoping you’ll cruise right through the next few days without much discomfort & hopefully find what you need to be rolling again soon.
Amazingly to me my neck is so sore it's crazy! Dropped the bike off at the shop today :(

Reactions: newleaf150

·
Premium Member
7,091 Posts

Peace!
Crap - hate hearing that

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,300 Posts
Today I managed 20mi on the 'bent with canine companion Chip. It seems that while he's fine to ride at 95*, running is a bit much. I had feared the same, but he was raring to go at the first stop, so we gave it a try. 2mi later, he swerved for a spot of shade and immediately splooted in the grass under a tree. I broke out the water and we hung out there for a bit. He was ready to get back in the trailer come time to leave, and stayed there for the rest of the ride, excepting stops. It took another water stop and a short walk beside a river to get his tail back in the 'happy' position, but once there, it stayed hoisted for the rest of the trip.

I could have stopped for a malt at the halfway point, but my stomach hasn't been feeling so happy of late and I decided to save that sugary goodness for another time.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,300 Posts
Today I hit up the touring bike and made it out during the last of the morning's cool temps. Canine companion Chip got in 1.4mi of running before the rising temps chased him back into his trailer. The route carried us through a local state park where we enjoyed some mild singletrack through a forest and made a detour due to seasonal flooding which the park exists to manage. The day was sunny and beautiful, with few others to be seen save on the lakes, where paddle boards and boats seemed to jostle for space on the water. I was happy to be in the saddle instead. Finished the ride with 22mi on the clock.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,300 Posts
Today I got just the ride I needed. 33mi on the 'bent with canine companion Chip. On my last longer ride, I noticed a trail connection with a local road and realized it should allow for an alternate leg to an old favorite route. Today, I tried it out and had a great time. The original route features a really rough climb and tight, winding descent. It'd be great fun except for pedestrians and those other riders who seem unable to stay on their own side of the trail. Between those and the blind curves, it's necessary to hold speed way down for safety reasons.

The alternative road leg features a wide shoulder and an open, screaming descent which is longer because it's a bit less steep. Great scenery, too! I easily hit 35mph and had no trouble picking up the turn I needed to catch the trail and return home. It was a beautiful if warm day. Toward the end of the ride, Chip surprised me by deciding to get out of the trailer and run! He did 2.3mi with temps in the high 80's. This after showing zero interest earlier in the ride.

I even spotted a swimming snake in the river while crossing a bridge. Good day, great ride.

·
Two skinny J's
21,453 Posts
I've not ridden in several days now. Still licking my wounds and incredibly still a touch sore. I am however registered for a night MTB ride this Friday evening, hoping the weather cooperates a bit.

Shop called today with required repairs post crash. About what I expected. BMC Road Machine sure is looking good about now :D

·
Rat Biker
442 Posts
Hey Rola hope you feel better ma

Just got in a nice much needed to clear my mind a bit ride. Been a long time since I've done a 20 mile round trip. Yes it has a motor lol that said it felt good to get out again

Attachments

Reactions: newleaf150

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,300 Posts
Hey Rola hope you feel better ma

Just got in a nice much needed to clear my mind a bit ride. Been a long time since I've done a 20 mile round trip. Yes it has a motor lol that said it felt good to get out again
Supplemental motor or not, it's still got two wheels and a set of cranks. Almost better, you can haul stuff with it. That makes me a fan.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,300 Posts
Today brought another ride I needed, after some initial technical difficulties. My GPS is beginning to show its age after nearly 19k mi of riding my touring bike's handlebars. It'll be a sad thing when the time comes to replace it. Like the bike, it's been all over and seen everything from heat to torrential ran to snow and even the occasional ice storm. I suppose I shouldn't complain: the bike is on its 3rd or wheelset, 3rd brake set, 2nd derailleur, and Zeus only knows how many saddles. The GPS has been through a number of crashes, and has twice hit the pavement at 30+mph. Even the mount has twice required replacement. Could be worse.

I set out with canine companion Chip and did 24mi. Chip ran for 2.3mi. I think his legs had a few more miles in them, but toward the end I was getting hungry for more than Clif bars and may have rushed the ride's conclusion a bit. The route carried us past some local lakes Mrs. Newleaf and I refer to as 'sunscreen row' for the smell which rides the breeze anywhere nearby. It amazes me how many people are out on the lakes right now, whether on paddleboards, power boats, kayaks, or whatever else.

There were a lot of cyclists on the roads, too, but there are more miles of roads and the rider density was less intense than on the water. As usual, Chip cadged more than his share of attention and commentary from passers by. I had a bit of a slow start, but settled in well. After my earlier Covid and surgical hiatus, the touring bike is finally getting more comfortable as my body slowly returns to proper riding form. As much as I love my recumbent, the upright touring bike is a joy to ride and I've greatly missed being comfortable on it.

17601 - 17620 of 17631 Posts