Two Spoke Forums banner
17621 - 17640 of 17676 Posts

·
Two skinny J's
21,522 Posts
Yea...in a Kayak :D Got my bike back from th shop today tho. Hoping to get a ride in tomorrow morning.

·
1,884 Posts
Got in 24 today and also got a PR on a Strava segment enabled on the Wahoo Bolt. Just started using segments on the head unit. I’m trying to decide if they’re too distracting or a good motivator; maybe both. Anyway, when I got close to the PR, the Bolt went into a full screen countdown about 30 seconds out showing my current time, the prior PR, and feet left to go. Took it by 6 seconds. I think it then showed some crown with an exclamation point or some sh*t to celebrate the occasion. Sadly, no cheering roadside fans were present to celebrate with me.

·
Two skinny J's
21,522 Posts
Congrats on the PR and crushing it! 6 seconds is huge! I've been using those for a while. When they come up anymore I just page through them.

Reactions: Merlincustom

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,371 Posts
Chip and I beat the heat today, if only barely. Left on the touring bike right at the end of the morning's cool and rolled 23mi through steadily rising temps to end the ride just as the mercury broke the 90* mark. We later hit 105*, so I'll take what I can get. Chip ran for 2.1mi. Despite the rising temps, it was a beautiful morning.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,371 Posts
Sadly, no ride was in the cards today. The air quality is terrible thanks to ozone and wildfires. Instead, canine companion Chip and I explored a local reservoir by paddle board! It was Chip's first time on a board and I was thrilled with how easily he took to it.

Getting him on the board and okay with it took far and away less effort than getting him into a bike trailer and okay with being towed did. I will always be happy that the trailer has become his safe place, but it's nice to be able to take him on other adventures, too. The water was awfully nice today, paddling less hard on the lungs given the poor air quality. Hopefully tomorrow will find us back in the saddle and trailer, respectively.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,371 Posts
Today the air quality was, if anything, worse than yesterday. Canine companion Chip and I headed out anyway. Took the 'bent and had a sweet 24mi spin. It got a little warm toward the end, but plenty of water and the occasional patch of shade enabled us to handle the mid-90's temps. June in CO didn't used to be anything like this hot.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,371 Posts
After a couple of bad days out of the saddle, I headed out on the 'bent today with canine companion Chip. I thought I'd roll 40 or so, but it's been too long since I rode the route I chose: I ended the day with my first metric century on the 'bent, also my first metric century towing Chip in his trailer! With temps topping out in the mid-70's and a light breeze, it was a beautiful day for a ride. Felt great to re-visit several trails I haven't ridden in more than a year. Chip hates traffic noise and I fear the first 20mi, running parallel to a freeway, were rather hard on him. It got better from there though, and he ended the day with 4.5mi of running. Not that you could tell, as be burst into fasties in the back yard as soon as we got home.

I didn't quite run out of food, but it was a near thing. There are a couple of good restaurants along the route, but none with dog friendly outdoor options. That sucks. I'd hoped to catch a hot dog vendor in downtown Denver, but he wasn't there when we rolled through, so Clif bars it was. I had a solid snack upon getting home and am presently looking forward to dinner. A lot 😍.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,371 Posts
27mi on the 'bent today, towing canine companion Chip. Temps were fun, bouncing between the low and mid 90's depending on cloud cover. Chip was glad to get out and sniff things at water stops, but didn't show much interest in running today. Can't say as I blame him, but I'm glad we made it out.

·
tall old member
1,333 Posts
I did 16.2 miles on a rail trail today. That’s pretty good since my first ride in two years was last week. I’m still wearing a heart monitor but that thing is about to go. I wore it three days last week and come to find out it had shut itself off. I wore that stupid thing 24 hours of the day for three days and it wasn’t even doing anything. My cardiologist doesn’t know I started riding. I got a bad report on my echo and my ejection factor hasn’t improved at all since my heart attack. I asked Dr. Google how to improve my ejection factor and he said the only way to do it is through exercise. Everyone had been telling me I had to rest and let my heart heal. Wrong.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,371 Posts
Another day, another 19mi. Canine companion Chip ran for just under 3mi, perhaps a reflection of the morning's nice low temps. My legs are flagging a bit: I thought for sure we'd spun out more miles than ended up on the clock. Still a beautiful ride. I was complimented on my cool rig by one passing cyclist, my cute dog by another.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,371 Posts
Today was low in mileage, high in happiness: canine companion Chip and I hit the trail with Mrs. Newleaf for an easy 12mi spin on a local greenway. Chip got 2mi and change running alongside me and Mrs. Newleaf enjoyed watching him both run and ride in his trailer. The rain fed scenery was pretty awesome, too.

There are still a lot of flowers to be seen, and the grasses are getting tall. We both love watching the breeze play over a field of waist-high grass. Today was a good day for it. Scheduling issues meant the mileage wasn't all it might have been, but we sure enjoyed the miles we got.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,371 Posts
19mi today on the touring bike with canine companion Chip. He got in a couple miles' worth of running, and his feet wet while riding in the trailer. We got a lot of rain yesterday, enough to flood a local freeway underpass tunnel nearly to my hubs. Chip's trailer has about 7" of ground clearance, but it wasn't enough. I could tell the moment the trailer's body hit the water. It was like I grabbed a handful of brakes or dropped anchor. I was happy the water didn't quite make it to my dynamo hub, which isn't rated for immersion. My shoes have been immersed before and likely will be again. So be it. Chip's paws dried soon enough :).

At around the halfway point, I exchanged huge grins and waved greetings with that most rare of cyclists, another guy pulling his dog in a trailer! His was a double wheel model with a flat cargo floor, his dog looking like he was about double Chip's 20lbs. It's a rare thing to see another cyclist towing a dog. That was cool. A little later, we caught a bit of rain and a solid headwind. It was a good time to be rolling with a single wheel trailer. I loved my double wheel model, but with any kind of breeze it quickly turned into the next best thing to a sheet anchor.

·
Two skinny J's
21,522 Posts
A beautiful..ish ride today excluding tons of assholes and getting to mile 28 of 48 and riding home in torrential rain coming down sideways that actually hurt a bit to be very honest. The wind was NUTZ!

I got tot the top of the bridge and the wind hit and the rain cut loose in an instant it seemed.

The last mile home.

Reactions: newleaf150

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,371 Posts
22mi on the 'bent today, towing canine companion Chip as usual. Chip ran for 1.6mi and spent the rest of the ride in his trailer, eliciting coos from passers by. We even saw another cyclist towing a dog in a trailer! That makes two in as many days. This time it was a roadie who was stopped on the side of the trail while he spoke on the phone. Small double wheel trailer. Respect. Every time I pull Chip in windy conditions, I appreciate his single wheeled Burley Coho XC which is hardly affected by the wind.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,371 Posts
Another 22mi today. Funny that, same mileage as yesterday despite a different route and bike. Indeed, the route itself was changed at the last minute due to construction on a 4-lane highway I'd planned to cross: with traffic in one direction down to a single lane, there were no breaks in traffic, just a long line of annoyed looking drivers riding one another's bumpers. No thanks.

After adjusting the touring bike's shifting yesterday, today it got the nod for a road test. It passed with flying colors, which I suppose means that I did as well. Canine companion Chip came along for the ride, and ended up running a little over 4mi. We found some mud and a few puddles left over from recent rain. Ended up finishing the ride under increasingly angry looking skies. Beautiful day, great ride.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,371 Posts
A beautiful..ish ride today excluding tons of assholes and getting to mile 28 of 48 and riding home in torrential rain coming down sideways that actually hurt a bit to be very honest. The wind was NUTZ!

I got tot the top of the bridge and the wind hit and the rain cut loose in an instant it seemed.

The last mile home.
It sucks when the rain drops hurt against exposed skin. I've found that's frequently true of storms where the rain starts like someone flipped a switch. Way to HTFU! Looks like you had some pretty scenery to go with the soaking.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,371 Posts
I like the rain.....
I'm right there with ya when it comes to most rain, but when the drops are big and driven by enough wind to cause pain on hitting exposed skin, I find the going difficult. Torrential is fine: one of my all time favorite rides involved rolling through a rain 'curtain' where one side was clear, the other side dumping like a cow p!ssing on a flat rock. Enough rain to force passing traffic to slow from the 55mph range down to ~25mph. Enough that the spray from my tires combined with the downpour to instantly fill my shoes with water, to say nothing of soaking me down like I'd jumped into a swimming pool. My teeth got an impromptu cleaning 'cause I was grinning the whole time. That was wonderful, but I'll be the first to admit that the addition of a hard wind would have quickly quenched my enthusiasm.

17621 - 17640 of 17676 Posts