Two Spoke Forums banner
17721 - 17740 of 17782 Posts

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,449 Posts
3mi on the folding MTB today, as a check-pull of my refurbished BOB trailer. It seems to work well! Empty, it tracked well with some predictable bouncing over irregularities in the pavement. Next step, towing with a load.

·
Registered
7,172 Posts

More importantly, the route carried us right past the custard place.
Well, well, well. Imagine THAT coincident.
Forehead Nose Cheek Mouth Eyelash

From a fellow malt lover to another, you aren't fooling anyone here. That route was strategically planned for the malt stop at juuuuust the perfect point in the ride to make you feel good and give you juice to push home.

One of these days, I'm gonna track you down and were going to take a ride to that malt shack!!!

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,449 Posts
Are you calling Chip a load?
Chip is a dog, not a load...though he sometimes resembles one 🥰. The BOB trailer isn't set up for him to ride safely. It could be, but that's why I have the Burley. Not sure what kind of cargo the BOB will see, though it may have to do with fishing.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,449 Posts
Well, well, well. Imagine THAT coincident.
View attachment 53248

From a fellow malt lover to another, you aren't fooling anyone here. That route was strategically planned for the malt stop at juuuuust the perfect point in the ride to make you feel good and give you juice to push home.

One of these days, I'm gonna track you down and were going to take a ride to that malt shack!!!
Thanks, Dos! No coincidences, just a great local malt place which has 2 locations immediately adjacent to trail systems I love to ride. It's like they planned it or something 😉. If you are ever in the Denver area, hit me up! One place is off a dirt trail, the other is off a paved trail.

The choice of which to visit is yours as both merit my hearty and unqualified approval. If you want to really pile on the calories...err...miles, I can offer a variety of routes and mileages which "just happen" to pass both spots 😍. You know, so you can check the quality of both products to see which is better 😇😂.

Depending on your stature and interest, I may even have a bike to loan if yours is unable to make the trip. Chip and I are not particularly fast, but he makes up a lot in cuteness.

·
tall old member
1,361 Posts
Well I think I’m finished with my chemotherapy. I thought I was finished last week and as I was driving home I got a call from my oncologist. She wanted me to do one more 5 hour treatment. Friday I think I finished at least for awhile. I signed up for the September Challenge to raise money to fight childhood cancer. As weak and beat down as I am I didn’t make my goal very large but it’s still going to be tough in my condition. After Friday’s treatment I came home and rode eight miles around the block. My cardiologist want me to ride but keep my heart rate below 112. Is that even possible? Not in my neighborhood. I noticed on my Garmin that the one hill I had a heart rate of 154, Oops. When I got home and loaded my ride to Strava I notices my average HR was 145 and my maximum HR Was 168 Yikes, I. Going to have to find somewhere flat to ride or even downhill.
On Saturday I drove up to Franklin, Pa. to ride the Samuel Justus bike trail. It’s so flat it feels like you are going downhill both ways. I did 15 miles and kept my HR average at 114 bpm. That’s pretty close to what the doctor ordered. My maximum HR was like 139 but that wasn’t riding the bike. I pushed my bike up a very steep path to get to Bilbos sandwich shop. All that and they were closed for the season.
Anyway I’m signed up to ride a total of 200 miles in the month of September and raise a total of $1,000.00 to fight cancer. Both goals are going to be a stretch for me but the cause is worth it. I start riding Wednesday September 1st.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,449 Posts
Finally! Today I set out on my touring bike with canine companion Chip in hopes of riding my age (47) plus interest. Same month as my b-day, if only barely. We did it! Chip ran 2.2mi and sat pretty in his trailer for the rest of the 58mi ride. Temps were in the low 90's for the bulk of the mileage, but we were both careful to hydrate and everything worked out fine.

This is my 2nd year of including Chip on my 'ride your age' ride. I hope he'll be a part of the festivities going forward. He is an excellent traveling companion.

A roadie passed us after following for a bit and advised "it's more fun watching the two of you than actually going fast!" I thought I was going decently well at a mighty 17mph, but understand those with no trailers and light bikes may see things differently 😁. I can say that you haven't lived until you've watched Chip roll through a round-about at speed. He actively balances on curves. Roadies especially seem to love it.

As often happens, my route 'just happened' to pass by a local frozen custard place. It was my b-day ride and pushing a metric century. Of course I'm stopping in for a malt! Chip got lucky when I misunderstood the clerk and ended up ordering him an entire 1-scoop cone. Normally I get him a smaller 'kiddie cone', but he had no trouble handling the full sized version.

My malt was tasty and really hit the spot, but the cup seemed to have some sort of hole or leak, as the contents vanished much more quickly than expected 😊. The balance of the ride home was warm but quick, and more comfortable thanks to an infusion of ice water from the custard spot. I had plenty of water left on the bike, but it was warm. I'm glad to drink warm water when I need it, but even happier when I can arrange for an ice cold resupply.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,449 Posts
Well I think I’m finished with my chemotherapy. I thought I was finished last week and as I was driving home I got a call from my oncologist. She wanted me to do one more 5 hour treatment. Friday I think I finished at least for awhile. I signed up for the September Challenge to raise money to fight childhood cancer. As weak and beat down as I am I didn’t make my goal very large but it’s still going to be tough in my condition. After Friday’s treatment I came home and rode eight miles around the block. My cardiologist want me to ride but keep my heart rate below 112. Is that even possible? Not in my neighborhood. I noticed on my Garmin that the one hill I had a heart rate of 154, Oops. When I got home and loaded my ride to Strava I notices my average HR was 145 and my maximum HR Was 168 Yikes, I. Going to have to find somewhere flat to ride or even downhill.
On Saturday I drove up to Franklin, Pa. to ride the Samuel Justus bike trail. It’s so flat it feels like you are going downhill both ways. I did 15 miles and kept my HR average at 114 bpm. That’s pretty close to what the doctor ordered. My maximum HR was like 139 but that wasn’t riding the bike. I pushed my bike up a very steep path to get to Bilbos sandwich shop. All that and they were closed for the season.
Anyway I’m signed up to ride a total of 200 miles in the month of September and raise a total of $1,000.00 to fight cancer. Both goals are going to be a stretch for me but the cause is worth it. I start riding Wednesday September 1st.
Way to exemplify Rule 5, Longjohn! I'm sorry for what you've been through, but inspired by the way you've handled it. Way to HTFU, man. A few miles are better than none. I hope your fitness level recovers quickly and that you enjoy the miles you're able to get. Hang in there. FWIW, I'm pulling for you.

·
Old, fat, and slow
944 Posts
25 miles today got back to the car T dusk. Kept HR below 112 BPM as per doctors orders.
man .... I get outridden by a cancer survivor two days out of chemo.

I was going to talk about my 15-mile ride in light mist .... 25 miles after nearly dying sort of makes my effort look insignificant, eh? :LOL:

Well done, Mr. tall old member.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,449 Posts
25 miles today got back to the car T dusk. Kept HR below 112 BPM as per doctors orders.
Way to go, Longjohn! Talk about crushing the distance. Great news.

I was going to talk about my 15-mile ride in light mist .... 25 miles after nearly dying sort of makes my effort look insignificant, eh? :LOL:

I can't speak for anyone else, but a 15mi ride in light mist sounds pretty darned sweet to me. Also thank you for sharing your sense of humor with us. You've a unique and wonderful way with descriptions.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,449 Posts
Yesterday, it was 29mi on the 'bent with canine companion Chip. He was in the mood to run, and ended up matching his previous PB of 7mi. Today, he spent all but 2mi in the trailer while I spun out 26mi on the touring bike.

It's strange and not altogether comfortable to ride when you can't see the ground at all. Today we spent time doing just that on some sections of singletrack that were so heavily overgrown by grasses as to obscure sight of the ground. I could see the trail's line in the grass, but not the trail itself.

In places I navigated narrow green corridors with vegetation brushing both shoulders. It's usually much less green this time of year. What a treat. We made a smooth water crossing at one point, happily on a dirt road with greater visibility than the singletrack offered. Chip's paws came through dry, which is his definition of a successful water crossing 😃.

·
tall old member
1,361 Posts

I had my brother with me. He’s not a cyclist and doesn’t have a bike but he rode my 520. He’s 75 years old and amazing. He wanted to see the tunnels I talk about. The first tunnel was six miles out. We went through it and I asked him what he wanted to do. I thought he would be ready to go back to the car and have a total of 12 miles. He said he wanted to see the other tunnel. That is another 6 1/2 miles. He held up real well, he said his butt hurt. He was wearing jeans and underwear. If he keeps riding with me I’ll have to get him into some bike shorts. I have a pair I bought online and they were to big for me, would probably fit him.

·
Old, fat, and slow
944 Posts
I can't speak for anyone else, but a 15mi ride in light mist sounds pretty darned sweet to me.
That's what i thought .... so i tried to do it again today.

About a mile out, the drizzle turned into serious rain .... just a little before I had to turn onto a high-traffic road because of detours and construction. The road is a mess, with debris, construction scrap, breaks in the pavement, white and yellow lines and old and new lanes crisscrossing .... and sand, gravel, tar spills .... all the good stuff.

Oh, well ... it's not anything new, and it wasn't Too dangerous .... and after a couple miles dodging cars and debris, I turned off onto my normal routes where cars rarely venture. That's about when the rain let up too .... Nature took its shot and I survived so it slunk off to reload, I guess.

Worked out well, though ... I had a few thin bands off color under the clouds on one side of the sky and lightning on the other .... then just darkness and mist. Glad I brought two headlights.

In the end I was only a little slower than yesterday, and had about the same amount of fun.

I tried to picture Chip jogging along beside me in a little rain hat .... but then I figured his ears would catch the wind and he'd be off like the flying nun. He'd probably opt for his trailer .... since I don't have one, I guess he will stick with Mr. Newleaf.

·
Old, fat, and slow
944 Posts
Mist and rain are the normal atmospheric conditions lately .... not normal, but what is, any more?

I pulled out my old steel Raleigh for a ride but 23-mm tires and rim brakes in the rain? It is still sitting by the washer/dryer, staring at me with an accusatory look. It hates to be teased, I guess.

·
1,906 Posts
We were hit pretty hard by Ida. Tornadoes did some damage. Usually the pre- dawn rides are idyllic, but this one was post – apocalyptic. Road closures, power outages, trees on schools and homes. It was eerily quiet, save for generators humming. It smelled like Christmas, but there was no joy this morning.
Tire Plant Sky Wheel Road surface
Plant community Tree Plant Twig Land lot
Sky Plant Natural landscape Wood Tree
Plant Sky Tree Branch Natural landscape
Plant Sky Property Window Building

17721 - 17740 of 17782 Posts