Two Spoke Forums banner
17741 - 17760 of 17782 Posts

·
Mom's Taxi
4,898 Posts
Mist and rain are the normal atmospheric conditions lately .... not normal, but what is, any more?

I pulled out my old steel Raleigh for a ride but 23-mm tires and rim brakes in the rain? It is still sitting by the washer/dryer, staring at me with an accusatory look. It hates to be teased, I guess.
Maybe normal where you live.

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,024 Posts
Ridin the dang couch and bed in the "lounge" just chillin after the basal cell removal of 2 spots the size of end of thumb on each side of my nose and the 4" scar on left collar bone skin graft donation site for the nose cover. Sux but was put off too long and time to pay up....nothin like stab cut burn stitch and now patch on your nose. Took them twice to get it all on one side and then 2 days later do it again once for the other side then the graft and stitches couple of days ago. Tired of this. Nothing like stitches in your nose and trying to not watch......or smell when they carterized........iNEED2ride!!!!!......it's beyond 12ride.

Eye Shoulder Scar Human body Jaw

Had them do left shoulder to evenly distribute things...rt side leg arm shoulder already have some.

·
Old, fat, and slow
944 Posts
Wellll .... I was going to come here and tell Miles_R that I had a chance to ride in different kind of wet---90 degrees and 61 percent humidity (dry for this time of year, but I still managed to sweat a bucket.)

Instead, I am treated to tales of nasal amputation and the mental image of I12Ride sniffing his own burnt mucous membranes.

Glorious.

Enough threads like this I will have to go back to adding to the beer and more thread.

On a positive note .... maybe I12Ride will fly higher since he weighs less .... if only by a few nose-hairs.

I12Ride .... does the miniature bicycle on top of the kitchen cabinets belong to the miniature giraffe in the hallway?

I thought only Russian mafia bosses had mini-giraffes .... you not only have the giraffe, you have the mini-giraffe-sized bike. Not sure what that says about your status, but pretty sure I will be careful about my jokes from now on.

Mr. and Mrs. I12Ride and their pet, prior to surgery.

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,024 Posts
......wut? nuthin about the commuter bike and cruiser peeking out from the formal dining room? The 6.5ft tall giraffe in the entry way diverts the wife's attention from bikes in the house. I see it works on others too, lol. There is not enough room on the shelf for the elf so he parks his bike up there outta the way. And where'd you find that pic of my couch? Wii have waze of finding out.....yes, many times I am russian around on my bikes, just not today

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,449 Posts
^^ Here's hoping for a speedy recovery, i12! Sucks that you went through that, but better than the alternative. I hope the healing is quick and comfortable.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,449 Posts
What a day! I set out this morning with canine companion Chip and enjoyed 27mi on the 'bent. The new tire worked well, and Chip ran 6mi. The trails were crowded but beautiful. I'd have kept riding, but hunger drove me home.

After refueling and hanging out with Mrs. Newleaf for a bit, I thought maybe I'd head out again. Chip was sound asleep until I began making preparations, at which point he instantly transitioned from tuckered out to ready.

Off we went again, this time for another 18mi through fading light. Chip ran another 3mi, giving him a PB of 9mi for the day. For me, a total of 45mi.

We returned home to find burgers ready to go on the grill. Mrs. Newleaf awesome that way. What a wonderful day it has been!

·
tall old member
1,361 Posts
I rode 30 miles solo on the rail trail yesterday. My heart rate monitor wasn’t working, my guess dead battery in the chest strap. I knew from Wednesday what speed I could go on the flat but then I came to the bypass. It is a loose gravel section that goes around some landowners that didn’t want a bike trail to cross their land. It is all up and down hills for a mile. I decided to do it since I couldn’t tell what my heart rate was I didn’t know if I was breaking my cardiologist’s rules.

·
tall old member
1,361 Posts
Sixteen Labor Day miles on the bike trail. It was weird nobody passed me and I didn’t pass anyone. I didn’t even see anyone going the direction I was going. I got to my turn around point and ate my lunch and watched the kayakers on the river. Still nobody went by in the direction I had been going. I started back towards where I started and saw one bike after another coming towards me. I was going slow by doctor’s orders and expected to hear on your left all day but never heard it once. I averaged just over 10 mph.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,449 Posts
22mi on the touring bike with canine companion Chip. He ran 2.6mi. Temps were nice, but the air quality was bad enough to warrant a cut in the mileage I'd planned.

·
1,906 Posts
^ What is the suggested range? I find that I can do some hills, depending on steepness and length obviously, in mid HR zone 2 on a recovery ride, for example.

·
tall old member
1,361 Posts
I just did a ride around the neighborhood on my old bike, it can run rings around my fancy gravel bike. I’m still weak and out of shape but the tires and the gearing on my 520 are much better on the road than my fancy gravel bike. Rode nine miles just to compare the one bike against the other.

·
Old, fat, and slow
944 Posts
I'd like to thank you for helping Mr. Newleaf keep this thread going. Not a lot of s have the time, and some of us are too lazy, to ride every day even though we say we want to ..... it's you die-hards and hardcores (and near-death survivors) who keep us coming back so we can get more motivated.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,449 Posts
Two days out of the saddle due to air quality. Today it was improved but still poor. Desperate to ride, I set out on the touring bike with canine companion Chip to see how the outside felt. Ouch. My performance was way off and it was physically uncomfortable to breathe. Not a lot, but definitely uncomfortable. I rode slow. Chip ran 2.3mi and wisely sat out the rest of the ride in his trailer.

20mi later, I was glad that I rode and glad to be home. I'm hoping tomorrow will bring better air quality.

·
Old, fat, and slow
944 Posts
I tried to ride today …. Since I took yesterday off, I decided to challenge myself with a longer, hilly (well, for a flatlander) route that I haven’t dared try for quite a while.

I suited up, grabbed my bike, and decided, you know what …. I won’t go riding---first I will fix that flat tire.

Normally I’d just grab another bike, but one has a loose left crank which I didn’t fix, another has serious wheel issues, one is just old and I am not sure if it needs a tune-up but I know it needs a fit adjustment … and I didn’t want to take my heavy work bike.

So, fixed the tube, changed the rim strip just in case, and headed out, now a lot later in the day … which means a lot hotter.

I got about 200 yards when I started hearing an odd rubbing sound. I cannot stand odd noises, and I couldn’t find the source of this one after a couple good hard looks so I limped back home and pulled down my work bike--something is better than nothing.

Problem is by the time I got back on the road it was two hours later and starting to get unpleasant … except of course, I was riding my bike, so I guess it was a wash.

I did pretty well on the first couple climbs—my lungs cooperated, which they often refuse to do. I really wanted to push myself a little because people tell me that is how to get stronger …. Who knows? I figured I’d try it.

I can’t say it I felt any stronger … in fact, by the last few miles I actually felt weaker—I guess all those “training experts” were lying to me.

The last few miles featured some very gradual inclines… what the rest of you would call flat roads---but also a slight headwind—and who doesn't find that to be their favorite combination of environmental factors? Throw in high heat and humidity and that is the cycling lottery grand prize.

I had actually brought my gym gear, thinking I might do a short workout after my ride, but that turned out to be a silly idea. I was more than glad to get home and jump in the pool

Possibly a happy ending anyway …. When I finally looked at the noisy bike, I found some gummy filth adhering to the seatstay just above the brake brace---where it might have been rubbing on the tire. Grabbed the Simple Green, cleaned it up, and maybe … maybe “fixed” the noise. I will need to test it tomorrow … right now I am too confused, trying to deal with a potentially happy ending. Not sure what I am supposed to do with that.

17741 - 17760 of 17782 Posts