17761 - 17780 of 17782 Posts

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,024 Posts
Here is my ride story...............

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,024 Posts
Sucked didn't it (insert fed up with being cut on and told not to exert thyself face here)
Outdoor channel is entertaining tho huh? TV IS CACA! ineed2ride!

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,449 Posts
Sucked didn't it (insert fed up with being cut on and told not to exert thyself face here)
Outdoor channel is entertaining tho huh? TV IS CACA! ineed2ride!
It's amazing how being told you can't do something makes you want to do it all that much more. I remember the frustration from my own medical restrictions earlier in the year. I also remember how utterly sweet it was to hit the saddle following the lifting of the restriction. Hang in there.

·
Two skinny J's
21,579 Posts
Finally ! Quite possibly the slowest ride I've ever done on a road bike but it was glorious!

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,449 Posts
What a difference a day can make. Air quality improved a good bit over the past few days. It's still far from good, but at least breathing wasn't actively uncomfortable. Chip enjoyed himself with a 4.1mi run. We were spattered by rain at one point, but it didn't last. Beautiful day on the trail. I spun out 26mi and had a much happier time of it than I did yesterday.

·
Mom's Taxi
4,898 Posts
What a difference a day can make. Air quality improved a good bit over the past few days. It's still far from good, but at least breathing wasn't actively uncomfortable. Chip enjoyed himself with a 4.1mi run. We were spattered by rain at one point, but it didn't last. Beautiful day on the trail. I spun out 26mi and had a much happier time of it than I did yesterday.
From what I can tell, California's largest export has made it to Indiana.

·
tall old member
1,361 Posts
I moved my new headlight from the Lynskey over to my Trek 520 and loaded the 520 on the bike carrier with one pannier for hauling a lunch and some extra drinks. I get about five miles up the road and it starts to rain. It’s not supposed to rain today. The weather app showed partly sunny all day. It rained all the way up to the bike trail. Luckily I still had my rain gear in the car from the last time I started a ride in the rain.
I got to the trail and there was two cars in the parking lot. A guy was just loading his bike up to leave. He was calling it quits already. The other car didn’t have any sign of a bike rack.
I set my Garmin and my phone app for the September bike challenge I’m in. Put on my rain gear. First time I’ve worn the pants, I carried on many bike trips but if it’s a hot day I don’t care how wet I get. It was 54° when I started my ride. A guy pulled in when I was getting ready to start with a bike in his van. He unloaded it and went over to the picnic shelter to wait out the rain.
I started my ride. Absolutely nobody else on the trail except one old guy jogging. He was heading toward the parking lot, that other car must have been his. This rain suit didn’t feel too bad on this cold day. I only wore the jacket one time thirteen years ago and I only got about five miles and had to stop and take it off. I was sweating harder than it was raining. It’s nice riding the trail when you don’t have to watch out for outer people. I rode 14 miles to the first tunnel without seeing another soul except that jogger. I start into the tunnel and turn on my headlight. It really lights up the trail 7,000 lumens. What’s this? I see another bright light coming toward me. I don’t drive at night because of my cataracts. I slow down and try to keep my eye on the right side of the trail. It takes forever for him to get past me. A kid with a light as bright as mine but he didn’t have his aimed down at the trail. Ok now I can speed up, oh no, what is this? Something with four headlights is coming toward me. I don’t know what this is but it shouldn’t be on the bike trail. I’m hoping that whatever it is stays on his half the trail because I’m blinded by all those headlights. As he goes past me I can hear his motor and at least two men talking in it. I think it might have been a golf cart. I continue on through the tunnel and for the next eight miles I only see one girl on a bike. I stop at a nice picnic table by the river to eat my lunch. I eat my lunch while I watch kayaker on the river. They couldn’t turn around and go back when it started raining. The weather was nice but chilly early morning. They are all headed to some far off take out point miles down river. The rain has finally stopped so I take off my rain jacket and pack it away in my pannier with my empty lunch box. I start back towards my starting point. When I get to the first tunnel the wind is coming through the tunnel like a wind tunnel. I should have left my jacket on. I’m not digging it out of that crammed pannier, maybe the sun will come out. The second tunnel wasn’t as cold but I was still chilling. The sun did come out but it didn’t get any warmer and the trees on both sides of the trail kept me in the shade. Total of 44.2 miles. My charity ride app didn’t count the miles in the tunnels so it only showed 40 miles. I deleted that and posted my Garmin miles. Not bad for a heart patient with leukemia.

·
Old, fat, and slow
944 Posts
It's called a "Newleaf," when you start riding in the rain, knowing you are going to get soaked, but can't figure out that you should wait of r the weather to improve. ;)

Epic ride, Mr. Longjohn. Wind, rain, cold, going the wrong way down two wind tunnels .... and perfect description of the problem with people's mis-aimed headlights.

44 miles is extraordinary for a person who posted two weeks ago, "I thought I was done with chemo but I wasn't."

·
1,906 Posts
Two days out of the saddle due to air quality. Today it was improved but still poor. Desperate to ride, I set out on the touring bike with canine companion Chip to see how the outside felt. Ouch. My performance was way off and it was physically uncomfortable to breathe. Not a lot, but definitely uncomfortable. I rode slow. Chip ran 2.3mi and wisely sat out the rest of the ride in his trailer.

20mi later, I was glad that I rode and glad to be home. I'm hoping tomorrow will bring better air quality.
I use the Plume Labs app. Pretty good for geeking out on air quality.

·
tall old member
1,361 Posts
It's called a "Newleaf," when you start riding in the rain, knowing you are going to get soaked, but can't figure out that you should wait of r the weather to improve. ;)

."
My wife taught me to start my rides in the rain. I had an eight day ride coming up but had been extremely busy and didn’t feel like I was ready to start an eight day ride. I planned to do long rides on Saturday and Sunday after church to get a bit in shape. I got up early Saturday to it pouring rain. I was being grumpy because my plans were ruined. My wife said:”Go ride your bike. What are you going to do if it rains on one of the days or all of the days of your ride?” I said I would ride anyWay. She said go ride your bike.

Smart woman I married, I really miss her.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,449 Posts
Today dawned breezy but clear. I didn't think I'd go very far when I set out on the touring bike with canine companion Chip in his trailer, but I wanted to get a few miles in. I did, and they felt good. Chip was raring to run. While riding a particular arterial trail leading to downtown Denver, I realized that while I'd ridden it several times, I couldn't remember the mileage between hither and thither. It was a beautiful day and my legs felt pretty good. Off I headed for downtown. Turns out it's just short of 20mi from here to there, one way. Pretty ride, too.

I ended up logging 39mi for the day, while Chip ran a total of 5.6mi. At one point, we passed a couple of adults herding waaaay too many little kids along the trail. A case of serial coos broke out as we passed and one kid after the next caught sight of Chip riding in his trailer. Multiplied over maybe 30 feet and 40 kids, it was kinda fun 😀.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,449 Posts
23mi today, on the recumbent with canine companion Chip. He was feeling the upper 60's temps and ran a total of 5.6mi. I managed to time my loop perfectly: the first long leg found me facing a headwind as planned. Somewhere between the end of that leg and the beginning of the returning, tailwind leg, the wind got stronger. Also changed direction. Thus was the magic twin headwind ride granted me. Fortunately the wind was cool, the day beautiful. I'd ride it again.

17761 - 17780 of 17782 Posts