Two Spoke Forums banner
17781 - 17800 of 17846 Posts

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,029 Posts
It's amazing how being told you can't do something makes you want to do it all that much more. I remember the frustration from my own medical restrictions earlier in the year. I also remember how utterly sweet it was to hit the saddle following the lifting of the restriction. Hang in there.
Nah, it's the same want all the time......even during the actual ride.....i12ride even more. I'm using an old trainer that the resistance part blew up on (somehow) to mount an alternator to so I can be a 12v generator......bkup for generac and solar setups, lol.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,487 Posts
No ride on Thursday, and Wednesday was one of those rare rides which simply didn't work out. I set out alone on the touring bike with some fairly big mileage in mind. The bike felt nearly light as a feather without canine companion Chip and his trailer, but my legs were heavy and lead like throughout.

I've had a few rides which weren't any fun until somewhere around the 5mi mark, but this time I did 9mi and every one of them took way too much effort. I gave up partway through and came home. It was the right answer. I'm glad that doesn't happen often.

Today I brought Chip along and enjoyed 23 beautiful miles. He was a monster and ran 6.9mi. Good times. Despite the trailer I had no trouble with hills and was happy with my speeds while Chip rode in the trailer. It was like the problem on Wednesday's ride never happened. Weird but welcome.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,487 Posts
It's been so long since we've had clear air that my 'usual' mountain views kept jumping out at me this afternoon. Sad to say I'd come to take such views for granted, but no longer. It sure is nice to have distance vision again. Even better to be able to breathe while holding decent speeds on the bike. I headed out this evening on the touring bike with canine companion Chip and really enjoyed myself. Chip had fun too, attracting several comments and running 5.5mi.

Temps were in the high 60's, no wind, and the day's bright light was fading slowly. It was great to be out. All the better in that I didn't expect I'd have time to ride today. Only 22mi in the end, but they were sweet.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,487 Posts
Not many miles today, but they were good ones! Mrs. Newleaf and I are in the town of Fruita, CO and we've brought canine companion Chip. She is here for a tattoo, partly applied today. I am here to ride the Tour the Moon on Saturday. Earlier this year, I was wondering whether or not I should sign up for it when she mentioned the timing of this tattoo trip. I signed up. She extended the reservations.

Early this afternoon, Chip and I headed out to explore. I've stayed in the town of Grand Junction before, and ridden around Fruita a bit. I've even ridden past the turnoff for the place we're staying. It's maybe a mile off the MUP and pretty nice. Our time window wasn't large, but we managed 16mi and enjoyed every one of them. Chip ran 4.5mi and was clearly interested in more had we not run out of time. He has never been here before and it was a treat to get to bring him.

The area is overall high desert, but the MUP runs alongside the CO River. The riperian zone is particularly nice juxtaposed against the desert and distant red cliffs. I'm so glad the air is clear, and not just because it means I can breathe while I ride. The scenery out here is superlative. Pics to come; bandwidth is limited.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,487 Posts
I passed through Fruita on the 9th. I thought the area looked great.
Fruita is in a beautiful area and has embraced cycling culture to the point that they use a stylized chainring as the city symbol. I believe the heavy focus is on MTB adventures, but the town also offers a MUP and some sweet looking pavement in places. Like Grand Junction, it seems quite bike friendly. The downtown area is cute and entertaining. If you feel like it, you can catch the Kokopelli trailhead toward the edge of town and take it ~150mi to (relatively) nearby Moab.

·
Mom's Taxi
4,955 Posts
I had to get gas in Grand Junction (no, I didn't eat at Taco Bell). I got lost in the roundabouts. Or was it on the straightaway?

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,487 Posts
I had to get gas in Grand Junction (no, I didn't eat at Taco Bell). I got lost in the roundabouts. Or was it on the straightaway?
Fruita and GJ both go in big on roundabouts. The double ones mess with me.

·
tall old member
1,410 Posts
I took my Lynskey out to the lake yesterday. I was planning on doing two laps around the lake wearing my new hi-viz jacket. When I got out to the lake I realized I forgot my jacket. One lap around the lake, 12 miles. I was as cold as a bullfrog so I called it quits. 48° and fierce winds. I think they should change summer to six months and the crappy weather seasons can each have two months.

17781 - 17800 of 17846 Posts