Two Spoke Forums banner
17841 - 17860 of 17888 Posts

·
tall old member
1,447 Posts
22mi today, still on the folding MTB with canine companion Chip rolling in his temporary replacement trailer. He ran for 4.5mi before breaking into spontaneous fasties in the back yard upon returning home. Worn out he was not :giggle:.

Beautiful day for a ride. The height of the color is probably past, but there are still plenty of pretty leaves hanging onto their trees. The low angle light made the air itself seem to glow. Getting into the saddle has been particularly difficult of late, but I keep trying and it keeps paying off when I manage to get out.
When I was recovering from heart issues and chemotherapy in September I asked my brother if he would ride with me. He is not a cyclist and he is 75 years old but in good health. I loaded up two of my bikes and picked him up and drove to the rail trail. He is only one inch shorter than me with the same length legs so I figured we wouldn’t have to adjust anything. He couldn’t get his leg over the top tube or the saddle. I showed him how I just lift my leg over the top tube, it’s lower than the saddle. I tried not to laugh but I did giggle a bit. Finally he figured out his own unique way of getting on the bike. He stood behind the bike and stood it up on it’s back wheel. Then he slid it back between his legs as he lowered it and he was on the bike. I laughed out loud. Whatever it takes.
He rode with me for the first three rides of the challenge and the last ride we did together was 25 miles. He said that was probably his limit, he was worn out. By then I was pretty Confident that I wasn’t going to croak so I started riding by myself to run up the miles. When the warm weather comes again I’ll have to take him riding some more. He said he really enjoyed it.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,538 Posts
When I was recovering from heart issues and chemotherapy in September I asked my brother if he would ride with me. He is not a cyclist and he is 75 years old but in good health. I loaded up two of my bikes and picked him up and drove to the rail trail. He is only one inch shorter than me with the same length legs so I figured we wouldn’t have to adjust anything. He couldn’t get his leg over the top tube or the saddle. I showed him how I just lift my leg over the top tube, it’s lower than the saddle. I tried not to laugh but I did giggle a bit. Finally he figured out his own unique way of getting on the bike. He stood behind the bike and stood it up on it’s back wheel. Then he slid it back between his legs as he lowered it and he was on the bike. I laughed out loud. Whatever it takes.
He rode with me for the first three rides of the challenge and the last ride we did together was 25 miles. He said that was probably his limit, he was worn out. By then I was pretty Confident that I wasn’t going to croak so I started riding by myself to run up the miles. When the warm weather comes again I’ll have to take him riding some more. He said he really enjoyed it.
It's easy to laugh and I did, but I also have respect for your brother's problem solving methodology. I've pushed plenty of bikes around 'stood up on the back wheel' but it never once occurred to me to mount from that position. Given the 'right' geometries, I can see that working well. Good for him!

I hope you are able to get out and enjoy some more rides together. My younger brother bought a bike a few years ago in order to do an organized ride with me. We repeated it the next year at his prompting and would have done it a 3rd year if not for Covid and associated cancellations. He'll never be an avid cyclist, but he enjoys riding more than he thought he would going in, and now owns not 1 but 2 bikes himself. I mostly ride alone save for canine companion Chip, but it's great to enjoy saddle time with the right others :).

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,538 Posts
Out again on the folding MTB with canine companion Chip and his alternate chariot :). Pre-ride I replaced a thrown screw or two in the trailer's fender, resulting in significantly quieter operation. Out we went to enjoy the clear fall afternoon. There was a bit of wind, but it wasn't a big deal. Chip ran 3.8mi. He seemed ready for even more mileage, but it wasn't that kind of day. We meandered home with 15mi on the day.

The folding MTB sure is fun, especially on dirt. Chip's alternate chariot, a modified BOB Yak trailer, has lower sides than his regular ride, a Burley Coho XC. That seems to make him more obvious to passers by. He seems to inspire more comments in the Yak than he does in the Coho, and that's really saying something. At one point as we were riding near a street, someone yelled 'hi puppy' out the window of their passing car. That's way better than what I usually hear shouted from passing cars when I ride 😁.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,538 Posts
7mi, yesterday, with canine companion Chip. It was to have been more, but as we transitioned from a MUP to a road leg, I heard an odd clanking noise I couldn't identify. Running mentally through possibilities as I rode, the one I liked least/most was that the noise was made by an arm of the trailer banging against its mount on the bike. The trailer's towing yoke attaches to so-called 'nutz,' metal nubs on the bike's BOB-specific QR. The trailer's yoke snaps into place but each arm is secured with a cotter pin. I know I attached both pins pre-ride. I remember doing it.

I could see as I rode that both arms of the trailer's towing yoke were in place, but glances can only reveal so much, and I couldn't see both cotter pins. I pulled over to find that I'd thrown one. Happily, when I ordered the cotter pins, I'd planned for problems and ordered a total of 4, or 2 sets. I'd even figured I could attach the spares to the trailer by duct taping them to structural members. I just hadn't actually done that. Just. Yet. Tape the spare pins to the trailer. They were sitting in a bag on my work bench in the garage.

Long story short, Chip ran home at my side while I rode slowly and kept an eye on the trailer. Fortunately we were near the start of our ride, so the distance was low. Fortunately something in my brain latched onto that sound and wouldn't be satisfied until I knew what had made it. Chip ended the day with ~3.5mi by paw.

·
tall old member
1,447 Posts
I didn’t see anyone on this trail, well it is November and it’s a work day.
At the end of the trail I found a Harley In the woods. Nobody around but it was standing on it’s kickstand. Somebody must be around somewhere. It had a regular spoke front wheel and a solid steel wheel in the back. Never saw that before. The bike looked like it spent a lot of time outside in the weather. That steel wheel was all rusty.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,538 Posts
Heard back from the LBS this afternoon, right after I decided I probably didn't have the energy to get out for a ride. Word is, canine companion Chip's primary chariot, a Burley Coho XC trailer, is in quite a fix! A part is bent, and Burley doesn't sell that part, meaning I need to buy a whole assembly. The LBS wants to try the warranty route, so I dug out my saved e-receipts from the order and printed them out.

Then I needed to go to the LBS to drop the off the papers. I tried to email them, but it bounced. Darn, have to break out with the bike after all. Out came the folding MTB and Chip's alternate chariot. We headed to the LBS and made it before closing. Dropped the documents and headed out again, this time to take the long way home. What a beautiful day to be out! Slightly nippy for summer togs, but not bad.

Chip ran 1.4mi and probably would have done more had the light held out longer. Ended the day with 9.3mi. Not many miles, but I sure needed them.

·
tall old member
1,447 Posts
Heard back from the LBS this afternoon, right after I decided I probably didn't have the energy to get out for a ride. Word is, canine companion Chip's primary chariot, a Burley Coho XC trailer, is in quite a fix! A part is bent, and Burley doesn't sell that part, meaning I need to buy a whole assembly. The LBS wants to try the warranty route, so I dug out my saved e-receipts from the order and printed them out.

Then I needed to go to the LBS to drop the off the papers. I tried to email them, but it bounced. Darn, have to break out with the bike after all. Out came the folding MTB and Chip's alternate chariot. We headed to the LBS and made it before closing. Dropped the documents and headed out again, this time to take the long way home. What a beautiful day to be out! Slightly nippy for summer togs, but not bad.

Chip ran 1.4mi and probably would have done more had the light held out longer. Ended the day with 9.3mi. Not many miles, but I sure needed them.
A trailer isn’t a Swiss watch. If the warranty doesn’t cover it and the assembly is expensive couldn’t you straighten the bent part or make a new one? We need pictures.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,538 Posts
A trailer isn’t a Swiss watch. If the warranty doesn’t cover it and the assembly is expensive couldn’t you straighten the bent part or make a new one? We need pictures.
You make an excellent point :). I'm afraid I have no pics because there's not much to see. That's one of the problems. The bent part is the qr skewer which attaches the mounting yoke to the trailer. The qr runs through the center of the yoke and is mostly unseen. Also, the LBS has the trailer just at the moment, so I can't correct the pic problem.

The first indicator of trouble I had was when I tried to remove the skewer in order to remove the yoke for easier transport by car. I couldn't get it out. At the time, it was easier to just re-tighten it and transport the trailer with the yoke in place. After the trip I tried again and succeeded in getting the skewer irretrievably loosened but stuck solidly in place. It should be a standard qr skewer: should slide almost freely into place with everything aligned, remove the same way.

The trouble is explained by the fact that the skewer is bent. Assuming I'm correctly interpreting the description I received from the wrench. What doesn't make sense is how it became bent. The trailer has never been dropped or crashed. I estimated 3k mi at the time, but the trailer's mileage might be as high as 5k.

The LBS tech didn't have high confidence about bending the skewer straight. Hopefully the warranty will come through. If not, the assembly I need is is pricey but excessively so. Hopefully I'll find out soon. I appreciate having an alternate chariot for Chip, but for any of my diamond frame rides, the Burley is superior.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,538 Posts
Great ride today! We hit low 70's. I actually got hot for a bit, lol. Mild breeze and clear skies. I headed out on the folding MTB with canine companion Chip riding in his alternate chariot. This summer and last have given me greater appreciation for clear air we enjoyed today. I rode into a nearby state park and spent some miles rolling through some of its forest. What a beautiful day. Chip ran some 5.3mi. Ended the day with 25 much appreciated miles.

·
tall old member
1,447 Posts
I didn’t ride today, I had a doctor appointment in the middle of the day. Probably ride tomorrow, it’s supposed to be sunny and 45°. It’s 27° right now.
A suggestion for that skewer, if you make it out of a piece of drill rod it won’t bend. I’ve had real good luck straightening out bent stuff. My son one time backed into a culvert and bent his back wheel around almost sideways. I took off all the bent parts and took them home and worked on them with my anvil and ford hammer. Put them back on the car and it was as good as new.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,538 Posts
Thanks for the drill rod skewer idea, Longjohn! I hope I don't have to use it this time around, but it's good to have options. You sound like quite a talented mechanic. Not sure I'm there yet :).

As for riding, it didn't quite work out. I set up the recumbent with a new skewer and mounted the BOB trailer for the first time this morning. Worked okay with some massaging. Unfortunately, the time window for my ride conflicted with a last minute vet appointment. Elder canine companion Maverick hasn't been feeling well and needed some attention. He got it and will hopefully be okay. Hopefully tomorrow will work out better on the saddle time front.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,538 Posts
Hooray for miles! Today I road tested the recumbent's new front tire as well as its ability to tow the BOB trailer. What a difference! I've easily towed the Burley Coho 2k mi using the recumbent. I could never have said the balance was off until I towed the BOB trailer today. What a difference! Attached to a 26" or 700x wheel, the Burley Coho trailer provides a more or less flat floor. It rocks behind either wheel size. Connected to a recumbent with a 20" wheel, the Coho's front end sags and I have to be careful about clearance on speed bumps.

The BOB Yak rides nose-high behind a 26" wheel. I don't have a 700c yoke and thus can't speak to that. The 26" yoke behind a 20" wheel makes for a nearly flat trailer floor. I found myself carving turns I hadn't realized I couldn't carve before. The trailer seemed to simply vanish behind the bike. Canine companion Chip's weight shifts made much less difference than normal and the only time I noticed the trailer was looking back to see how Chip was doing.

Behind a 26" or 700c wheel, the above also describes the Burley Coho XC. Behind a 20" wheel, it works but not as well as I'd have said it did before I towed the BOB. Quite a difference. Once the Burley is out of the shop, it'll be the chariot of choice for diamond frames. The BOB will continue to have a place behind my 'bent. The geometry just works better.

Chip ran 1.6mi today, sitting out the rest of he day's 17mi in his alternate chariot. Winds in the 15-20mph made the outbound leg slower than it might have been, the returning leg faster. I've missed playing on the 'bent. Funny how Chip's now ended up proving to my satisfaction that he needs not one, but at least two trailers. Solely to match my own modest range of rides, of course 😁.

Crap! That seems to imply that t+1 is a thing right alongside n+1. Oh boy.

17841 - 17860 of 17888 Posts