Two Spoke Forums banner
17861 - 17880 of 17888 Posts

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,538 Posts
Awesome is a tiring ride on a beautiful day. I did 20mi on the recumbent with canine companion Chip this afternoon. He ran 3.8 of the miles and attracted more than his share of attention whether in the trailer or running alongside me. One motorist stopped in the middle of her turn to roll down the window and shout that Chip riding in his trailer was, quote, "the cutest thing I've ever seen." A passing roadie opined that Chip has a hard life indeed 😁.

With low wind and temps in the low 70's, it was quite a popular day to be out on the trail. I'm grateful to have made it out, even if the time might technically have been better spent packing for an upcoming trip. Naw, f that. The right answer was to ride while the riding was good. I can pack later.

·
tall old member
1,447 Posts
Newleaf150 I was surprised you had temperature that warm. I checked your profile to see where you are, Colorado. I thought Colorado always ran colder than Pennsylvania. I’ve been wearing thermal bib tights, base layer, long sleeve jersey, jacket, and winter riding gloves the last two weeks and I am not too warm. It was 25° this morning.

·
tall old member
1,447 Posts
Today was a bit warmer. I skipped the base layer and just wore the long sleeve jersey and a jacket with my thermal bibs. I was comfortable. 15 miles today, half of it gravel. I found one section of perfect gravel, it didn’t last long and I was back to the rough stuff.

·
Old, fat, and slow
987 Posts
Finally …. Finally got out for another short, slow ride.

You guys just cannot understand how hard it is, living in a place with perfect weather every day, with never an excuse not to put in some miles. Such a burden …..

I have been taking care of all my other business but my body just works better when I do some miles …. And finally I got away from the computer, away from my wife, away from my jobs, and out on my bike.

Unfortunately I only got half the benefit because I have some serious coworker conflict issues to resolve and it was hard to not think about that … and on top of that one of my preferred routes is under construction (the nerve of those guys, maintaining the roads I ride when I want to go riding!)

Still I got a few what can best be described as “glacial” miles … though I doubt I could have outrun a glacier—and now I feel almost like a human being …. Not that that is so wonderful a thing, but it has its merits, I guess.

I’d like to thank you guys, particularly Mr. Longjohn and Mr. Newleaf, for your inspiring posts. I read a few days’ worth of backlog, and that might have been what tipped me over the edge this morning.

·
tall old member
1,447 Posts
I did a twelve mile loop around the lake today. I planned to do two laps but before I was out of sight of my car a saw a young lady walking her dog and recognized her. I haven’t seen her for a couple years with me not getting out much. I stopped and we talked for over an hour. She has been through a lot since I saw her last too. By the time I finished my first lap it was getting dark and cold. I didn’t have time or proper clothing to do another lap. Maybe tomorrow?

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,538 Posts
Newleaf150 I was surprised you had temperature that warm. I checked your profile to see where you are, Colorado. I thought Colorado always ran colder than Pennsylvania. I’ve been wearing thermal bib tights, base layer, long sleeve jersey, jacket, and winter riding gloves the last two weeks and I am not too warm. It was 25° this morning.
Sorry about the delay in replay, LJ, I've been visiting family and haven't been on the site much. When it comes to the weather here vs. there, we've had an unusually mild Oct. and Nov. Especially the latter. There's a lot in timing, too: on this day as most this time of year, the temp started out in the low 30's or high 20's before rising quickly. The variability is normal, even if average highs are usually lower.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,538 Posts
Not today, but yesterday. Visited family near Jackson, WY this week. My Mom, sister, and the latter's family all live in the area. We had a guinea pig to deliver. It was a good week, but a rough one. The elder of our two dogs landed himself in the Jackson vet's office not once, but twice. Stomach troubles. In any event, the weather was wonderful for mild winter cycle play, with light to moderate snow and warmer than freezing temps. Between family visits and doggie health troubles, I just wasn't able to get out on my bike. Frustrating.

Then yesterday my sister texted to say my two nieces, 10 and 8, wanted to ride to a local to them park to 'show me the troll'. Priorities restored, I gathered my bike and gear, headed for sis' place. Her hubby ended up coming along to ride herd on the 5yo nephew who decided at the last minute that he needed to go, too. Training wheels and all.

It was a short but highly memorably trip. The younger of the two girls was on the single speed bike I gave her a couple of years ago. She's fast. Faster than her big sister despite the latter's 3 speed ride. I was rolling my folding MTB because it is set up to tow Canine companion Chip's alternate chariot while my touring bike is not.

With temps in the low 40's under heavily overcast skies with misty rain, it was a bad day for Chip to be involved. He stayed at his Grandma's place with his out of sorts pack brother. Otherwise it was a great day. I was warm enough, if only just. My sister's area has bike paths that could easily quality for their own bucket list entries. The town and its tiny 'suburbs' are situated in the valleys between mountains at the Southern edge of Grand Teton National Park. The trees have lost their leaves for the winter, while the heavy prairie grass has yellowed and bowed.

Despite local traffic volume, the MUP around the town of Wilson where we rode runs through meadows and stands of trees with only momentary interaction with roads. Feels much more rural than it really is. We made it to the park and dismounted to find the 'troll'.

My nieces and their younger brother have a pretty active fantasy life, fed by books and parents. When they proposed to show me the troll, I assumed they meant a strangely shaped tree or rock, that sort of thing. Turns out, they meant an actual sculpture of an 'actual' troll. One created by an actual sculptor. Constructed from reclaimed waste wood, the troll sits on the bank of a pond and would easily top 15' in height if she stood.

After a bit of capering and some pics on the 'designed to be climbed on' troll sculpture, we organized for the return home. My nephew took advantage of Mrs. Newleaf's having driven to the site with my Mom and sister to meet us. He had his bike loaded up and rode back in the car. My two nieces and BIL and I stuck to the saddle and enjoyed the ride back. Simple out and back in a mostly flat valley. With a river running through it. Surrounded at varying distances by misty mountains on a bracing rainy day.

Yea, we totaled a little over 5mi. That's it. Hardly even worth mentioning, except that it made the whole trip better. I wish I'd managed more mileage, but what I got was high quality. Of both scenery and family. Good times.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,538 Posts
Made it out for a short race against the sunset this afternoon. Took the folding MTB and canine companion Chip with his trailer. We left later than I'd hoped, and true to the time of year, I overestimated the remaining daylight. Great ride anyway. Chip only got .7mi of running out of a 7mi ride, but I think we're both glad we went. With temps in the 60's and no wind, it was a fantastic afternoon. Tomorrow, we're supposed to see 70's. Followed by a few days with highs in the more normal 40's range. Plus rain. Maybe.

·
Two skinny J's
21,686 Posts
Made it out for a short race against the sunset this afternoon. Took the folding MTB and canine companion Chip with his trailer. We left later than I'd hoped, and true to the time of year, I overestimated the remaining daylight. Great ride anyway. Chip only got .7mi of running out of a 7mi ride, but I think we're both glad we went. With temps in the 60's and no wind, it was a fantastic afternoon. Tomorrow, we're supposed to see 70's. Followed by a few days with highs in the more normal 40's range. Plus rain. Maybe.
I'd be sorely disappointed with that kinda of weather if I lived out that way.. Warmer there than it was here with 20+mph winds!

·
tall old member
1,447 Posts
It was 37° here when I went for my ride. Just cold enough that I wasn’t comfortable. My hands were cold and my crotch. I think I’ll start wearing bike shorts with my thermal bib tights. When I got home I found my lobster claw gloves were in the mailbox. I considered going back out to try them out but decided to wait for tomorrow. 7.9 miles today. Part of my dirt/gravel road has calmed down after they dumped dirt on it and them fluffed it up with a machine and then we had three days of snow that seemed to help it get packed down. You still have to ride it like an obstacle course or you could fall in a pothole.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,538 Posts
Today we nice warm temps, courtesy of some stiff winds which began overnight and continued all day. I did 16mi on the folding MTB with canine companion Chip still riding in his alternate chariot. He ran for a total of 4.3mi and seemed good for more. I did the route's main descent into the wind and had trouble hitting high teens in speed on a hill which normally supports 30+mph with very little in the way of effort. If I stopped pedaling, even on the steepest section, the wind slowed me down. Always fun when that happens. That said, I wouldn't have missed today's ride. The wind made it a challenge, but it was still a beautiful day.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,538 Posts
I'd be sorely disappointed with that kinda of weather if I lived out that way.. Warmer there than it was here with 20+mph winds!
Strange hos weather works. We are definitely enjoying a streak of unseasonable warmth. The combination of temps and winds you talk about sounds...unfun. Even in more normal times, we don't get cold all that quickly, though overnight temps can dip fairly low.

·
tall old member
1,447 Posts
17 miles today on mostly dirt roads. One little stretch of gravel road. I didn’t take any pictures of my road, it’s still a mess. I think what they were trying to do was like these roads but they didn’t know what they were doing. I should invite them to visit Jackson township and see how it’s done.
Map Rectangle Font Parallel Slope
View attachment 53710 View attachment 53711 View attachment 53712

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,538 Posts
Yesterday, I collected canine companion Chip's primary chariot from the LBS, where it's been undergoing warranty repairs. Today, I hooked it up to my Novara Safari and took it and Chip for a 17mi check ride. Most excellent! We enjoyed temps in the lower 60's with clear skies and a light breeze. Perfectly functioning trailer and bike, too. Good times.

Mid ride, we stopped in at a different LBS with a bigger stock of small items. There I picked up another new mud guard. The trailer's tow yoke already has one, but that is placed to catch debris which might otherwise end up in Chip's face. The new one will protect the lower part of the yoke from road gunk, especially on wet or snowy days. It's probably overkill, but I'm comfortable being me and installing it anyway.

I also grabbed a Camelbak Podium water bottle and yet another mouthpiece for my Camelbak backpack's bladder. The shop's staff were drawn to Chip, who ran up to the shop alongside the bike and rode away from it in his trailer. After hearing a little about his pre-adoption past and training to ride in the trailer and run alongside the bike, the checkout woman smiled and said that Chip is living his best life. I'd sure like to think so.

Despite the warranty troubles, I am thrilled with my Burley Coho XC. Crap happens. They stood behind their product, and even broken, it worked just fine until I tried to remove to towing yoke for transport, as designed. Had I not tried to do that, I'd never have known there was a problem with it.

I've missed riding my Safari. Its 700c wheels won't work with the alternate BOB Yak trailer's 26" yoke. It felt good to be back in its saddle, towing Chip in the Burley. The latter tracks and handles almost as though it isn't there at all. Save for hills, of course.

As for Chip, he ran 3.3mi and seemed energized by the experience. Unusual to have so many warm days this late in the year. We apparently just broke a record from the 1940's for most days without measurable snow. It isn't exactly good, but I can't exactly complain. I think if Chip could speak, he'd be thrilled by the whole thing. The more time he gets outside, the happier he is. Strange, that largely works for me, too.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,538 Posts
20mi on the touring bike today, with canine companion Chip back in his Burley chariot. He ran for 4.3mi and incited coos the rest of the time. The day was warmish and sunny. Indeed, it was just warm enough to justify stopping in at a local frozen custard place for a malt. Chip got his usual kiddy cone and we both enjoyed some sugary goodness as the afternoon sun swept too quickly toward the horizon.

Treats finished, we rolled for home. Chip ran most of his miles on the return leg. I guess the ice cream agreed with him :). Closer to home, we ran across a boy and his father who were sidelined, struggling with the kid's bike's chainring protector. It broke and was interfering with the chain line without being removable. Until the father borrowed my multi tool and made quick work of removing the pieces. In short order, the bike was restored to rideability. Hooray for having the right tool for the job, when and where it's needed.

Life has been difficult of late. This ride did me a lot of good. I love cold weather rides, but I must admit that this run of warm temps has me really happy about riding in my summer togs.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,538 Posts
22mi today, this time on the 'bent towing canine companion Chip in what looks to be his new recumbent trailer, the BOB Yak. Nice spin through a local state park with the shadows getting steadily longer as the sun dropped toward the horizon. I don't much like how quickly it disappears this time of year. I sure do like getting out to ride, though. Chip had a bit of a rough start, but ended up logging 3.5mi of his own.

What weather we're having! It gets chilly at night, but daytime temps hit the low 60's today, with clear skies and no breeze. It was a wonderful day to be out. The Yak tracks brilliantly behind my recumbent. Can't really tell it's there except on hills, and I can lean through turns about as deep and fast as I can with no trailer attached. A passing couple on a tandem opined that my stoker wasn't working hard enough. I responded that he was taking a break 😀.

17861 - 17880 of 17888 Posts