Two Spoke Forums banner
17881 - 17888 of 17888 Posts

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,538 Posts
This afternoon it was back to the touring bike. Canine companion Chip and I enjoyed 21mi, of which he ran 4.3mi. It was another blue bird day, with temps again in the low 60's. Bright sunny skies and a bit of breeze. This year you'd never know that November is one of our snowiest months on average. We are breaking records around the lack of snow and the temps. It's going to be an interesting winter.

·
tall old member
1,447 Posts
This afternoon it was back to the touring bike. Canine companion Chip and I enjoyed 21mi, of which he ran 4.3mi. It was another blue bird day, with temps again in the low 60's. Bright sunny skies and a bit of breeze. This year you'd never know that November is one of our snowiest months on average. We are breaking records around the lack of snow and the temps. It's going to be an interesting winter.
You sure have me beat on the weather. The only thing I had going for me was sunshine. I needed to move 29 bags of coal to make room for a firewood delivery. I got the coal moved and that was enough to convince me that I didn’t want to ride after my delivery. I think we had a high today of 27°.
So how does Chip tell you that he’s had enough running? Does he just fall behind and you stop and wait for him?

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,071 Posts
Happy Thanksgiving everyone!......no ride today except for couch after gorging on feast, gathering leftovers and driving 60 miles back across town from one of my sisters' houses.......funny how all the nieces nephews and their kids are getting so grown up while I haved stayed the same age somehow....WILL be riding tomorrow since showers have passed on and nice cool sunny weather is on tap til saturday evening/night. Get full, give thanks and be safe y'all......

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,538 Posts
You sure have me beat on the weather. The only thing I had going for me was sunshine. I needed to move 29 bags of coal to make room for a firewood delivery. I got the coal moved and that was enough to convince me that I didn’t want to ride after my delivery. I think we had a high today of 27°.
So how does Chip tell you that he’s had enough running? Does he just fall behind and you stop and wait for him?
I can't complain about out unseasonably warm temps, even as I wonder when the other shoe will drop :oops:. Sounds like you got your exercise in for the day, whether you made it to the saddle or not!

That sounds like a lot of coal to be shifted around. Ick.

As for Chip, he lets me know when he's ready to stop by slowing a little to put tension on his lead, then running stiff-legged. That makes the lead bounce and gets my attention quickly. Once we're stopped, he knows that he's allowed to enter the trailer as he pleases. Thus he'll 'call' for a stop and proceed to do the sniff and pee dance before either looking up at me to indicate he's ready to continue running, or jumping back into the trailer. The point of the whole thing is for it to be fun and rewarding for us both. Overall, I think we're managing it. I sure love taking him, and he gets awfully excited any time I start dressing in my cycling togs.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,538 Posts
Another day of unseasonable warmth. We should be topping out in the mid forties this time of year. Instead we're hitting 50's and 60's day after day after day. I'm not complaining, but it's a little strange. Today the sun fled quickly, but I managed 16mi on the touring bike with canine companion Chip enjoying time in his first chariot, the one by Burley. He also ran some 2.5mi.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,538 Posts
14mi on the 'bent today, towing canine companion Chip's alternate trailer, which has become the recumbent trailer. Chip had a stellar day, running 6.5mi with every indication that he was good for more. He has definitely benefited from the warm temps we've enjoyed of late. We spent time in the 60's today. It was almost hot, lol.

Sorry in advance to those of you on the receiving end of less summer like temps. Normally by this time of year, I've renewed by ICE biker credentials by taking a spin in sub-32*when it's under 32* out. For that matter, Normally by this time I've usually enjoyed at least a couple of good snow rides.

Nothing like that this year, just day after day of warm, sunny days. I love riding in the cold, but boy, these warm temps are great.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,538 Posts
Keep enjoying those temps and posting newleaf. It pressures me to ride, even if it’s cold or indoors.
Thanks, Dos! I love riding in the cold, but I'll be the first to admit that it's much easier to get out for a spin when it's warm. Boy, has that been nice of late.

On the motivation front, I like to think that I'd be riding now regardless of the weather: this time last year, I was freshly out of the hospital following life saving surgery. That was good, but the multi-month no-cycling order from my surgeon was not. This year, I. Get. To. Ride. I get to ride! No restrictions, no appointments, no do-this-or-die physician's advisements. Please don't misunderstand: without those things, I'd be dead and none of this would matter. I have no complaints, but it sure is great to be past it all just for now.

My Chihuahua/Pomeranian dog, Chip, is an athlete. He ran 6.5mi beside my bike just today. This time last year, he hadn't been out for so much as a walk in days and just didn't understand why I wasn't taking him. I went from everyday life to definitely dying without emergency surgery in the space of a day. Minutes really, but I'm hard headed and required further and painful evidence that I was in trouble.

Cycling brothers and sisters, if you can ride today, ride! You never know. Most of the time, there will be a 'tomorrow' to ride on, but tragically not always. I'm not the only one to exemplify this idea in this very thread. We've lost riders. I had a brush with death which changed my life. It came out of nowhere. Ride while you can. Life always happens, but ride while you can. Even if it's just a few miles.

17881 - 17888 of 17888 Posts