Two Spoke Forums banner
17901 - 17920 of 17947 Posts

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,597 Posts
The snow finally melted and my dirt road started to dry out. I went for a ride yesterday. The temperature was in the upper thirties. I have seen a sign on one of the gravel roads I ride for Amish donuts every Saturday but it was never Saturday when I rode that way. Yesterday I did a donut ride. By the time I got to the house with the donuts my hands and face were froze. I bought six donuts, ate one of them on the spot and while loading the other five in my panniers I got out my balaclava and my lobster claw gloves. I had full fingered winter gloves on but they don’t cut it below 40°. I continued on my ride and saw a large animal run from a cornfield and run up the road ahead of me. It wasn’t the right color for a deer but it was about the size of a smaller deer. I get my cataracts fixed on Wednesday and I’ll sure be glad to be able to see again. As I was catching up to that animal I spoke to it and told it it didn’t have to run from me. It stopped and looked at me. It was a Great Dane.
I changed my route from the last time and was going uphill when I heard these dogs barking. Last time they chased me I was going down hill and out ran them. I knew I was in trouble. With the lobster claws I couldn’t use my HALT so all I could do is sprint and hope for the best.
I was getting pretty far from their farm but they hadn’t given up. I felt one dog grab my foot but he slipped off because I was spinning the pedals so fast. Maybe it hurt his mouth because they stopped chasing me. I don’t think I’m supposed to get my heart rate that high but I survived. I don’t want to get bit because I’m on blood thinners and that would be bad.
The dirt roads were pretty good shape except for the puddles. All the potholes and buggy ruts were still laying with water. I stayed out of those. On the last part of my ride I had been climbing a grade and working pretty hard when I passed a barn with an Amish buggy ready to pull out. No normally I can outrun a buggy but this time I wasn’t sure. I’ve never been passed by a buggy but he was gaining on me. Sure enough he passed me. I drafted him for awhile and then thought better of it and dropped back a bit. Now the horse was running out of gas’s and I had to slow down or pass him. I didn’t want to play leapfrog so I stayed behind him. Another quarter mile and we will be done climbing and then a long downhill. I’ll wait to pass him on the downhill. Just as we got to the crest of the hill he turned off down another dirt road. Rats, I should have passed him while I had the chance.
What a ride, lj! I'm glad the dogs weren't able to get you. Sounds a nearer thing than might be strictly comfortable. Wow. You're a tough one. I hope your cataract correction goes well. Thank you for bringing us on your ride. I love the idea of playing on the road with horses and buggies. That's really cool.

·
tall old member
1,482 Posts
What a ride, lj! I'm glad the dogs weren't able to get you. Sounds a nearer thing than might be strictly comfortable. Wow. You're a tough one. I hope your cataract correction goes well. Thank you for bringing us on your ride. I love the idea of playing on the road with horses and buggies. That's really cool.
I had never been passed by a buggy before and I have passed lots of them but I’ve never been this old before and that horse did have fresh legs and I am still recovering from a hectic year.
A funny thing I noticed is there is a horse race track on down my road and if the horses are in the pasture when I ride past they are afraid of me and take off running really fast out around the stables where I can’t see them. But when I ride past Amish horses in a pasture they come towards me to say hello.

·
Old, fat, and slow
1,007 Posts
Longjohn, evading packs of predatory hounds, knowing the slightest nick could kill him .... Living Past the Edge. ...... I think there is potential for a movie, with a comic-book spin-off.

Great story and glad you survived. The slow-mo race with the buggy is another good one .... we all feel that ache of not passing the guy in front.

Glad you guys keep riding and posting.

·
Two skinny J's
21,751 Posts
Had a ride planned this morning, but I no longer watch tv/news anymore, I had no idea it was supposed to be so windy this morning. I’ve nothing to prove so no ride in the nearly 40 mpg gusts this morning :)
As an afterthought, I’m glad I’m not working or on call today.

Rectangle Font Line Parallel Technology

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,194 Posts
same crazy windy here too. yesterday was 35-40 from south and this morning 25-30 from north......the 30 degrees cooler part is welcome. been 84 last coupla days. stupid for december even in tx. broke records from the last global warming aka climate change event back in 1920's and 1930's....

·
Two skinny J's
21,751 Posts
same crazy windy here too. yesterday was 35-40 from south and this morning 25-30 from north......the 30 degrees cooler part is welcome. been 84 last coupla days. stupid for december even in tx. broke records from the last global warming aka climate change event back in 1920's and 1930's....
Right behind you at 74*. I want some cold weather to kill the flying little nasty bugs. Mosquitos in December is just wrong:-/

Reactions: MilesR and i12ride

·
Two skinny J's
21,751 Posts
With an honest to god, straight off the boat Norseman :) Bet you’ll never be able to guess which one he is in the photo:) we are freezing and he’s like what? What’s the deal??? :)
Tire Bicycle Plant Wheel Plant community

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,597 Posts
After too long away from the saddle, I made it out today with canine companion Chip for 22 late day miles. Strange how chilly the low 60's can feel this time of year. Still, a beautiful day. Chip was thrilled to have an adventure and ran some 3.5mi.

Yesterday, I missed out on the chance to ride in snow. I didn't do much cold weather cycling last season due to all the medical stuff, and it's proving harder than I expected to get back out for some cold weather fun. So far my coldest ride amounted to 5mi in mid-40's. Strange year.

·
Two skinny J's
21,751 Posts
After too long away from the saddle, I made it out today with canine companion Chip for 22 late day miles. Strange how chilly the low 60's can feel this time of year. Still, a beautiful day. Chip was thrilled to have an adventure and ran some 3.5mi.

Yesterday, I missed out on the chance to ride in snow. I didn't do much cold weather cycling last season due to all the medical stuff, and it's proving harder than I expected to get back out for some cold weather fun. So far my coldest ride amounted to 5mi in mid-40's. Strange year.
It's cooler here, so odd.

Reactions: newleaf150

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,597 Posts
Yes! 13mi yesterday and another 17mi today. All on the 'bent with canine companion Chip riding in his BOB Yak trailer. Chip ran 3.3mi yesterday, 3.5mi today. Yesterday, the high 50's temps proved colder than anticipated and had Chip shivering enough to prompt a mileage reduction. Today, there was less wind and temps in the low 60's. Crazy. But wonderfully warm and comfortable to go riding around in December wearing summer togs. Sorry to those of you who aren't so fortunate :).

Yesterday, I had an unusual experience: I pulled up to a 4-way intersection where a neighborhood road crossed a local arterial road. I pulled up to my stop sign just before a car stopped on the opposite side of the road, turn signal indicating it would turn across my line. I waved to the drive to go ahead of me and got a wave in response. He went as soon as cross traffic permitted, after which I made my own crossing. When I rode past the place where he had been stopped, I was astonished to smell alcohol. Quite strongly. My sense of smell is...not all that and a box of cookies. No trouble here. I glanced toward the car, but it was too far away for me to get the number or even guess at the state. Given that, I didn't see much point in calling it in since I had a partial description of the car and no plate #. What little I saw of the vehicle in motion raised no flags.

Today I again appreciated several long sections where it felt for all the world like I was floating over the pavement. It's not that I didn't perceive the bumps and expansion joints, just that they didn't detract from the sense of floating over the pavement. Really pleasant. I love my touring bike, but the 'bent is growing on me. Sitting back in a comfortable chair, head up, eyes on the world around as I spin out my miles. Good times, indeed.

·
tall old member
1,482 Posts
With an honest to god, straight off the boat Norseman :) Bet you’ll never be able to guess which one he is in the photo:) we are freezing and he’s like what? What’s the deal??? :)
View attachment 54003
I bought better cold weather gear this year. My only problem is the cold weather makes my nose run. Not so much with the balaclava but hard to deal with with that on. My failed eye surgery
stopped my riding for I don’t know how long. I’m supposed to spend as much time in my recliner as possible including sleeping in it. Not fun when I’m used to a queen size bed to myself that I can change positions all night.

I discovered my titanium gravel bike gets blown around on the road in strong winds. My roads have almost zero traffic and when they pass they get as far to the left as they can so it is still safe. If I ever take the bike on the highway I’ll have to be really careful in strong crosswinds. I don’t know if it’s the titanium or the big tires catching the wind. None of my other bikes did that. I’m running 40s on it.

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,194 Posts
Shoulda did rain ride instead of stayin in and prankin around in the garage with bikes....got hung up in an extension cord reel on the floor beside car trying to walk around there and swap out a stem cap on a hanging bike.....tripped but didn't fall but got foot stuck in holes on side of reel and well....mighta broke a toe or at least sprained it pretty good. Big toe just scratch, the 2nd one. Wasn't pointed weird but.......

Human body Gesture Wood Finger Barefoot

Sigh.....and riding in the rain woulda been the dangerous thing?

17901 - 17920 of 17947 Posts