Two Spoke Forums banner
17921 - 17940 of 17947 Posts

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,597 Posts
Today found me out on the touring bike with canine companion Chip, enjoying ever more unseasonable temps in the low 60's. My sole concession to the season was to wear a long sleeved summer weight jersey over a short sleeved summer weight jersey. We spun out 20 sweet, sunny, slightly chilly miles, with Chip sticking to his trailer for all but 2 of the miles. The low angle sun can be hard on the eyes this time of year, but it's awfully pretty too. Strange to still be getting so many warm weather miles this time of year, but I'll take 'em.

·
Two skinny J's
21,751 Posts
Today found me out on the touring bike with canine companion Chip, enjoying ever more unseasonable temps in the low 60's. My sole concession to the season was to wear a long sleeved summer weight jersey over a short sleeved summer weight jersey. We spun out 20 sweet, sunny, slightly chilly miles, with Chip sticking to his trailer for all but 2 of the miles. The low angle sun can be hard on the eyes this time of year, but it's awfully pretty too. Strange to still be getting so many warm weather miles this time of year, but I'll take 'em.
Every time you post these with temps this fall/winter, we have been consistently cooler ( by almost 20 degrees ) than you and I find that very odd :D

Reactions: Dos_Ruedas

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,597 Posts
Every time you post these with temps this fall/winter, we have been consistently cooler ( by almost 20 degrees ) than you and I find that very odd :D
So do I! Our normal highs for this time of year are upper 30's or lower 40's. Nighttime temps have hit the single digits a couple of times, but in general we don't see much below the 20's even yet. Weird. We'll pay for the unusually warm temps eventually, but for for now I'm enjoying them.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,597 Posts
Today was even warmer than yesterday. A remarkably beautiful day for any time of year, much less the middle of December. I headed out on the 'bent with canine companion Chip and we enjoyed a solid 25mi jaunt. Chip ran a PB total of 7mi alongside the bike, beating his previous record by a mile. Literally :cool:.

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,194 Posts
Fine thanks, just purpler like that 2 day later car crash thing. No problem with shoes all day at work. Not gonna buff out so I will just walk it off, lol. No pain so no gain I suppose. Suck thing is I get to get my nose cut on again on thursday for cosmetic reason. Woohoo wutta xmas gift. Gotta get it in before the deductible resets in January.

Comfort Gesture Barefoot Toe Foot

Meanwhile, back to riding posts......

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,194 Posts
The foot in pic pedals bike wheels round, bike wheels round, bike wheels round. the foot in the pic pedals bike wheels round....all over town.....

·
Old, fat, and slow
1,007 Posts
It's crazy .... we are having the usual harsh winter weather here .... what the rest of the nation calls "early summer" .... but i can't get out to ride.

I spent the past too many hours trying to true and round out a wheel --- (I seem to have lost the ability) ---and finally decided it was good enough that i could put it on my bike and ride. I laid out the bike, pumped up the wheel, got ready ... and got side-tracked.

In the evening I stepped out back to check on the pool vacuum and decided it was a bit chilly for a ride ... and then unhesitatingly got into the pool to grab the uncooperative vacuum and make it work. But ... . too chilly to ride ....

I must be getting senile. :(

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,597 Posts
Yesterday, I changed things up on the 'bent before sadly putting it back in the shed in order to complete some last minute shopping. Today, shopping done, I pulled the 'bent back out and topped off the tire pressure before heading out for a checkride with canine companion Chip. He ended up running 4mi this time, while I spun out a total of 18mi. The new bag arrangement seems to agree with the bike. I took pics but they need re-taking. Temps were in the low 60's, again. Crazy weather we've been having.

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,194 Posts
It's crazy .... we are having the usual harsh winter weather here .... what the rest of the nation calls "early summer" .... but i can't get out to ride.

I spent the past too many hours trying to true and round out a wheel --- (I seem to have lost the ability) ---and finally decided it was good enough that i could put it on my bike and ride. I laid out the bike, pumped up the wheel, got ready ... and got side-tracked.

In the evening I stepped out back to check on the pool vacuum and decided it was a bit chilly for a ride ... and then unhesitatingly got into the pool to grab the uncooperative vacuum and make it work. But ... . too chilly to ride ....

I must be getting senile. :(
Yes, there is magic feeling in floating under water in the silence of it all. Jumping off roof into deep end, night swims, skateboarding when emptying once, RC boats, pool parties, teaching kids to swim/dive, swimming in the rain, fun with the wife and keeping the pool cleaner tuned up.....yes, pools can be big distraction from riding. There's nothing wrong with you, carry on......

·
Old, fat, and slow
1,007 Posts
What’s up with no one riding any more?

Or … is everyomne so busy riding they don’t have time to post?

I finally got out for a few very short, slow rides this week …. On one of the oldest bikes in the fleet, a 1984 Raleigh Olympian.

The bike is a low-end offering with a CroMo main triangle and mild steel; elsewhere---heavy, but not too strong. It originally came with a derailleur which hung outboard of the dropout instead of off a hanger, and 126 mm spacing.

After years of all-weather commuting abuse, I finally retired the frame for several years before dragging it out for a rebuild.

I cold-set the rear triangle, bought a thread-together rescue bottom bracket because the BB shell was stripped, and built the bike with 10-speed Tiagra …. All should be good. Eh?

Of course not. For some reason I could never get the rear to shift properly—I figured I messed up the frame or the dropout either in crashes, transport, storage, or stretching. I measured repeatedly, and things seemed square … but if I could bend it wrong I could measure it wrong, right?

Without building jigs and buying lasers, there was no real way to tell if the frame was tweaked, possibly in half-a-dozen different places and directions. And while I didn’t mind having to fudge the shifting, it was sort of depressing, so the bike didn’t get enough use.

Finally I decided to try micro-adjustments of the rear wheel based off the chainstays, and ignoring the rest …. If the wheel seemed centered, even if the frame was off, even if the wheel leaned to one side … whatever. For the way I ride, the slight loss in efficiency wouldn’t really matter (assuming the wheel didn’t flop on a corner) and Maybe if I got it aligned Just So, the indexing might work.

After two rides and two rounds of adjustments, I headed out on the third ride (in a week! Amazing!) with an irrational morsel of confidence … and Lo, the thing Worked. The derailleur moved the chain one gear at a time in either direction. Now I could just ride the bike and not have to think and reshift repeatedly searching for the right cog. What joy! What pleasure! What a wide-open invitation to karma.

About three-quarters of the way through, I heard a loud “clunk” from the transmission. I didn’t know what had or could make such a sound, but … there is no part of normal bicycle operation which ever would.

I checked the derailleur—it wasn’t loose or kinked, the chain was threaded correctly, the cable was not broken. None of the spokes were broken. The cassette was in place and secure. I shook the left-side crank and it was solid. (I do a “shake and bounce” test before riding as a rule, and this day did a more thorough job---and found a loose bolt in my bidon cage. I checked the left-side crank, and it was solid before the ride as well.) Mystified, I tried to ride slowly onward/

Immediately I heard the sound of chain hitting derailleur—Front derailleur. I couldn’t imagine why …. Because I had forgotten that I had a two-piece thread-together bottom bracket. I hadn’t checked the right crank because all my other bikes have the spindle permanently attached to the drive-side crank. When I did check, I found the crank pretty tight but the whole BB sticking out a quarter-inch.

I carry tools, but I do not carry a BSA-bottom-bracket wrench or crank puller, and since I couldn’t get the crank off, I couldn’t even force the wrong tool into the BB teeth to turn it.

Well, one of the tenets of the school in which I practice is, “Take hardship as joy.” If nothing else, I would get a long, slow walk home with plenty of time to stew about my situation …. Or, maybe necessity could birth some invention and maybe some luck as well.

I managed to twist the BB shell with my fingertips enough that it didn’t slide sideways, and cranked down the right crank dangerously tight—if I stripped the nut but made it home, I could cope with a stripped nut. A three hour walk in cleats sounded much worse.

I then adjusted the front derailleur to full wide, because the BB was still a little wider than it had been at the start of the ride. I decided that even though I wanted to do a few more miles, I would take the short road home—I had no idea when or if the BB would start to unscrew itself again. And so, I made it home.

I could have used a rest today, but I wanted to get a few more miles in before I have to go out of town to work over the holidays, so I grabbed up the appropriate tools and set things to rights. As a result, I got what might be the best ride I have had out of that frame … maybe since the conversion.

So …. No twisting mountain miles with baby Yoda in a basket, no tough gravel miles after a heart attack and chemo, no relaxing respite from climbing power poles all day … and no airborne miles. But since the rest of you apparently stopped posting … you are stuck with me.

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,194 Posts
OK, you brought it up so....went to dermatologist again on 23rd to have more work done on my nose...yea, b1tch1n Xmas present. Involved reconstruction and stitches but with added bonus of bruising this time which was nice black eye look and bruised cheek

Forehead Nose Cheek Smile Mouth

sooooo, no rides other than to mailbox and back and then around several blocks in today's 85 degree bs winter temps after finishing puttin new tires on a bike and the out front mount for the gifted garmin on the gravel bike......That's my reason for less than usual speed rides, dunno what other folks are up to

·
Old, fat, and slow
1,007 Posts
I saw the picture before I read the text, and wondered, "Bar fight or irate wife?" I suppose it could have been both.

I trust you will be back to flying your bike in the new year.

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,194 Posts
started the year with a tame 15 around the hood with one of my daughters. Told her this ride was maybe half speed, half distance shenanigan free pavement ride. Had pointed out the fun spots along the way but said not today. Still sporting stitches so not really needing a full speed thing right off the bat but the want was there. Much reigning in occurred but was nice that a fit 34 yr old said she was exhausted. Didn't tell her it was a barely break a sweat ride for me. 75 and windy yesterday during the ride but today not even 40 and windy in opposite direction. Gotta love TX rollercoaster weather............hopin folks had a happy new year!

·
tall old member
1,482 Posts
I’m still not supposed to ride until my eye has completely healed. The eye doctor said if I get another bleed I could lose my eye. I sure don’t want that. I still need to have my other eye done. It had worse vision than the eye they started with. When that eye went blind I really felt helpless. My vision is coming back starting on Christmas Eve. Today I drove myself to church and driving felt normal. My vision is like driving in a fog but the fog gets less every day.

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,194 Posts
As much as I like to ride, having vision to do so and to do everything else is more important. Hoping your healing keeps on happening and then the riding can return.

17921 - 17940 of 17947 Posts