Two Spoke Forums banner
17941 - 17947 of 17947 Posts

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,597 Posts
At long last, yes I did! Last time I saw saddle time was before Christmas. Today marked my first ride of the new year, and at 7mi I didn't even break double digit mileage. All that said, what a wonderful and needed ride! It started slowly: canine companion Chip's trailer had flatted in the interim. I must have run over something toward the end of my last ride with it as all I had to do was reinflate and spin the tire to get some Slime into the hole. Cool.

This was also a check ride for my new helmet, helmet light, and helmet speaker setup. That all went beautifully. I got the helmet light adjusted perfectly on the first try, and it appears my slight repositioning of the helmet mirror on the new helmet will pay visibility dividends. All I have to do now is get used to the mirror's new position. In other words, it's going to be taking frequent abuse until I get my reflexes reprogrammed to accommodate its new position. That's annoying but part of the fun involved with that design. Happily, my helmet speakers sound a bit better than they did before thanks to a better mounting angle allowed by the new helmet.

Unfortunately, by the time I got everything reinflated, adjusted, and so forth, it was a lot later than I'd like and the temp was already slipping into the low 50's. That's marginal for Chip to do a lot of riding, but he sure can run! He ended up doing 4.5mi of running out of my 7.5mi ride. I daresay he was ready keep going for another 4, lol. What a happy little dog 🥰.

It was a happy thing for us both. I've been off the bike because Chip's older 'brother' Maverick, an 'English Cream' Golden Retriever, has been deathly ill. He is presently in the animal hospital for what will be his 3rd night. That following 3 visits to the doggie ER and various others to his regular vet and another in the last couple of months. Poor guy. He is 13.5 years old and we are fully aware that it may just be that time. Indeed, this round of hospitalization is about as far as we are able to go in keeping him alive. It's all the more frustrating in that the vets cannot seem to find what exactly it is that's wrong with him.

By his choice, Maverick is more Mrs. Newleaf's dog than he is mine, but I love him all the same and his illness has been hard on us all. It's knocked me right out of the saddle and back to the couch. That's gotta change. Today felt too good, and Chip sure was thrilled to get out and run.

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,194 Posts
Yes, 75 and breezy...tomorrow will be 47 and super windy......so yes, took supermoto and the edge out for a leisurely 17 around the area.

Bicycle Wheel Tire Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle wheel

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,597 Posts
Today was rough, but I made it out on the touring bike with canine companion Chip. 17mi this time. Chip ran for 5.7mi. The chilly low 50's temps seem to agree with him when it comes to running, though I have to be careful that he doesn't get chilled while he rides in the trailer. I hit several snow covered trail sections and was surprised at how well my summer tires handled them. When the sliding does start, it tends to go on for a bit without those helpful studs to add traction. I was playing it conservative, but still surprised I didn't have to dab my feet to stay upright. Recent snow has mostly melted but frozen sections remain in places where shadows predominate. I got several sections measuring tens of yards, a few measuring in the hundreds.

Yesterday, Chip's older 'brother' Maverick passed away after an extended illness. Today, my situational awareness was worse than it's been in years. I normally pride myself on almost never being passed unawares by automotive traffic. It happens, but is a matter of one event per several rides. Today, I lost count of the number of times cars 'snuck up' on me. Traffic wasn't even that heavy, but keeping track of it was apparently beyond me. Fortunately the shoulders were generous and only one of the passes was illegally close. Still, not ideal.

On setting out, I knew I was upset but didn't think I'd have trouble riding. Indeed, the bike handling part was a refreshing challenge which I accomplished without apparent impairment. My situational awareness on the other hand, was pretty much out to lunch. Even when I knew there was a problem, I wasn't able to pull myself together enough to address it. My whole time on the road was marked my 'surprise' passes. No aspersions on the drivers involved, of course. The problem was all me.

The ride did Chip and I both good, but if I had it to do over, I think I'd pick a road-free route. I don't like betting my life that passing drivers are paying enough attention to what they're doing to see and avoid me. At the same time, Chip needed an outing and so did I. His big 'brother' of another breed will long be missed.

·
Old, fat, and slow
1,007 Posts
Sadness of course .... but that is life. Gladness that you were able to do a partial "recovery" ride and make it back home.

Pets are gifts that don't last, but on the whole .... usually well worth it for most.

My condolences to you, your spouse, and Chip.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,597 Posts
Sadness of course .... but that is life. Gladness that you were able to do a partial "recovery" ride and make it back home.

Pets are gifts that don't last, but on the whole .... usually well worth it for most.

My condolences to you, your spouse, and Chip.
Thank you, Mr. Maelochs. The pain of this loss will echo for a long time to come, but that's okay. There's no way that losing a dog as wonderful as Maverick isn't going to hurt. A lot. You are right that pets are gifts. Boy are they ever.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,597 Posts
Another 17mi today, this time on the 'bent for its first outing of the year. Canine companion Chip ran for 5.3mi. The route today was mostly MUP with a few low traffic residential streets. My situational awareness was better today than it was yesterday, but I'm not up for playing in traffic just yet.

Fortunately, there was less snow and ice today. The 'bent and its 100psi near slicks don't like hard-compacted snow and ice a bit. That's fair enough but made for an interesting ride on the frozen sections. The wet sections were more fun now that my mud guard and fender setup keeps nearly all the spray off of Chip.

Strange how chilly low 60's can be this time of year. Also, strange to have low 60's this time of year.

17941 - 17947 of 17947 Posts