Two Spoke Forums banner
18001 - 18020 of 18055 Posts

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,706 Posts
Today was good for 22 breezy mi on the recumbent with canine companion Chip. Nice ride, and a test of the new drive train which was installed by mistake. I'm fine with having gone from 8- to 9-speed, but the 12-46 cassette is about as silly in gearing terms on a 20" wheel as I'd expected. At the same time, the prior cassette was a 12-32. With a triple crankset and 20" wheel, it did just fine in the hills. With the 12-46 I find myself hitting 3rd or even 4th gear on the steeper sections on the small chainring. Going below that tends to drop me beneath walking speed. Even in 3rd, I was spinning pretty solidly at just over 3mph.

Chip enjoyed something in the range of 3mi of running. I'm estimating because my cycling computer seems to have freaked out a bit. Considering how when I mounted it, I may need to replace the battery.

In any event, not a big deal. The day was sunny and warm, with temps in the low 60's. The wind was in the 20mph range, but I'll take it. It was good to be out.

·
Rollin Solo like Han...
532 Posts
Lotta weight on my shoulders these last couple weeks. Been doing what I can to remedy the situation but I can't make people reply to me faster. It's kinda killin me so I loaded this up and rode out here today for a photo op. Never been out here at low tide before. Happy Fatboy Friday!
Bicycle Sky Tire Wheel Cloud

·
Old, fat, and slow
1,057 Posts
I can finally post here again as I have managed (not lying, honest) five rides in five days. This brings my monthly total to eleven rides ... only 177 miles, and really slow miles, but still .... at least I can remember where to find my bike each day ... At least this year, when it is 199 degrees all day, I won't have to rue the rides I didn't take when the temperature was temperate.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,706 Posts
Another 17mi on the recumbent today, towing canine companion Chip. Still working on fine adjustment of the new thumb shifters. Several hills confirmed that my new 12-46 cogset is massive overkill on a 20" recumbent wheel. As expected. Unexpectedly, I like the gear ratios better, and seem to end up rolling a little faster than I did with the old drivetrain. Overall, I think I like it. I'd never have specified it for that bike, but that's what miscommunications are for. Now that it's there, I find I like it despite the overkill.

As for the day, it was beautiful, with temps in the mid-60's and a light breeze. A guy was flying what looked like a 3-meter stunt kite at the top of a local earthen dam. The light breeze had him leaning 45* against the kite's pull. That was really cool to see. I fly smaller stunt kites from time to time, but this monster could be used to propel a boat.

I forgot all about the recumbent's computer battery, so I again have to estimate Chip's running mileage in the ~3mi range. He had a grand time running and riding. I had a nice ride. We're getting into the time of year when the light is at a low angle and it makes the air itself seem to glow. Great time to be out on the trail.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,706 Posts
After entirely too long out of the saddle, today found me out on the touring bike with canine companion Chip for an enchanting if breezy 21mi. Upper 60's temps meant the stiff breeze didn't bite the way it would have even this morning. Chip enjoyed a solid 3mi run and seemed about as happy to be out as I was. The route carried us into a local park where we logged a few dirt miles on roads which are still occasionally wet from snow melt, but still firm enough to ride on. That was nice.

I also managed a feat I've accomplished but once before, though I warn you it won't sound like much: instead of pushing, I rode the steep and normally very sandy ascent from the park to the Highline Trail. The ascent is ridiculously short, probably not even 10 yards. It's steep, but the real issue is that it's usually covered by several inches of fine sand which my 700x65c tires just aren't wide enough to best. Unless the sand is nice and damp, as it was today. Hooray!

Sadly, equestrians kept riding the canal during the mud season, so the surface is beaten to sh!t and quite bumpy to ride. On the other hand, I was out and Chip was clearly having a ball on that portion of the run. It'll smooth out again soon enough. It was a great day to be out.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,706 Posts
Today found me on the touring bike with canine companion Chip. We managed a few miles on a section of the Highline Canal I haven't been able to play on for too long due to thaw related mud. That felt nice. I've missed riding dirt, and I think Chip has missed running on it. He did a total of 4.7mi across a couple of runs and seemed thrilled to be out. I sure was. Beautiful day. I kind of wish I was still out.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,706 Posts
I bet the dirt and sand feels better to chip while the smooth pavement is best for you.
I'd expected that precise thing. When given the chance of running on pavement or immediately beside it, Chip almost always takes the pavement. That said, he does seem to commonly run further at a stretch when we're on hard surface dirt trails.

·
Old, fat, and slow
1,057 Posts
I don't know if the rest of the cosmos has been suffering with the same excessive wind as I have, but today .... today the weather spirits smiled, and let the wind stop. I did my first ride in months with an average over 15 mph ... and if I had started earlier I could have gone farther, but i didn't know that until too late.

After too many days of excessive wind and often barely functioning bronchi, it was great to be able to ride in still air and actually inhale some when I needed it.

Counter to my impressions from the past several weeks, I now think this bicycling stuff is pretty keen and I might just do more of it.

·
Two skinny J's
21,802 Posts
I don't know if the rest of the cosmos has been suffering with the same excessive wind as I have, but today .... today the weather spirits smiled, and let the wind stop. I did my first ride in months with an average over 15 mph ... and if I had started earlier I could have gone farther, but i didn't know that until too late.

After too many days of excessive wind and often barely functioning bronchi, it was great to be able to ride in still air and actually inhale some when I needed it.

Counter to my impressions from the past several weeks, I now think this bicycling stuff is pretty keen and I might just do more of it.
Nice! I can’t remember the last time We had no wind, used to the strong breezes but it’s just plain been way to windy here.

Reactions: Dos_Ruedas

·
Two skinny J's
21,802 Posts
Speaking of wind. This morning would be nice wind wise
Product Azure Font Rectangle Line

vs. by the time I could get home and ride this evening.

Light Yellow Rectangle Font Line

·
Two skinny J's
21,802 Posts
I've not ridden in so long now I'm at the point I'm afraid to start over. It all started my first trip out to Roanoke to work getting Covid followed by gut wrenching food poisoning. I lost, if I recall, over 20 pounds in 2, 2 1/2 weeks. No energy at all.

I got on a small role and did a few rides. THEN VDOT put drunk bumps (rumble strips ) on every road in the area. Went out and road and got pushed by a car a little close to them and it cost me a tire. Ordered a new tire, out it on and my bike has just set collecting dust...not even any indoor Zwift rides.

I can't find the motivation to start over. Honestly, I've got so much going on it's kinda scary.

On a side note, I just found a friend has stage 4 prostate cancer and it's REALLY made me think about life's priorities. It's got me questioning so much time away from family ( out on a bike and it's takes a lot of time)...when they lay me down 6 ft down, it won't be miles that counted in life. It will be time spent with family and grandkids.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,706 Posts
Finally made it out for 26 breezy, cool miles on the recumbent with canine companion Chip. He ran for 4.8mi and seemed thrilled to be out. After a string of poor prospect days, I agreed with him. Things are beginning to green up, and I even spotted a few early season blossoms. I'd planned a ~15mi loop, but when I hit the turn to go home, it was just too soon. I 'missed' the turn and spun out a few more.

·
Old, fat, and slow
1,057 Posts
I just found a friend has stage 4 prostate cancer and it's REALLY made me think about life's priorities. It's got me questioning so much time away from family ( out on a bike and it's takes a lot of time)...when they lay me down 6 ft down, it won't be miles that counted in life. It will be time spent with family and grandkids.
Absolutely .... get the family out on bikes post haste. :D

I've not ridden in so long now I'm at the point I'm afraid to start over. It all started my first trip out to Roanoke to work getting Covid followed by gut wrenching food poisoning. I lost, if I recall, over 20 pounds in 2, 2 1/2 weeks. No energy at all. ....

I can't find the motivation to start over.
I am Always starting over. I have had to accept that I will almost certainly (barring a full Bionic Man program) get back to anywhere near where I used to be.

What I do find is that when I can finally get out for a few miles ... I Still Love Riding.

I go a lot slower, but I see more scenery.

I pass up some riding opportunities, but I feel no obligation to ride. I don't have to maintain, let alone increase performance. The more exercise I get the better, but as you say, it won't be a lack of miles that gets me in the end. I ride when I want to and I ride as fast as is fun ..... I rarely average over 14 mph or more than 20 miles.

But ... they are good miles.

I can't speak for the rest, of course ... but I am pretty sure you are both welcome and wanted here no matter how many, or few, miles you are riding.

·
Registered
7,515 Posts
I did ride today.
I rode a couple times in the past week too. However, 3x that many, i rushed home to ride and something prevented me from going out. Someone’s, i had to get outta kit and back into uniform and head back out, while other times it was to stay and help out the family.
I’m having a terrible time conditioning the ole sit bones.
Each ride has hovered around 30 miles. I’ve been staying relatively flat to try and rebuild what cardio I lost.

Work and life has been incredibly busy and stressful lately. While i FULLY UNDERSTAND rola’s family plight, many times I’d be no good with family, before doing something…..anything to DEstress. Cycling has worked so well for so long, that it’s my go to. I also use hiking, but that takes time too.
In the low light periods of the year, i started stargazing in the yard, often with a fire. This works well, because after about 20 minutes, my Bride often appears with a beer and when the kids are home, we all end up there watching shooting stars & lightning bugs while listening to the fire crackling & the other night sounds.

Rides when family is too busy or away. Do it for your health, so you can enjoy more days with the family.

La Familia es Todo!!

·
Rat Biker
453 Posts
Yep been riding every day the past couple of weeks straight . Nothing huge milage wise just my daily grind off to work

18001 - 18020 of 18055 Posts