Two Spoke Forums banner
18081 - 18100 of 18108 Posts

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,764 Posts
I did, even if it was just around the back yard, on a comically small bike: this morning, canine companion Chip and I stumbled across a yard sale where I found a kids' fat bike which had my nephew's name all over it. I already gave his older sisters bikes a couple of years back, but he wasn't old enough to ride at the time. Now he is, and a trip is already in the works.

The bike is quite basic, and I'm told it was never used. Unsurprising, given the way it was assembled. The brake cable was routed in a unique manner which largely precluded functionality. Fortunately an easy fix.
Bicycle Tire Wheel Plant Crankset

After I fixed the cable routing and turned the front tire around so the directional arrow pointed forward, it was time for a test ride. It's a fun little bike! Looks better with the saddle and brakes adjusted.
Bicycle Wheel Bicycle wheel Bicycle frame Tire

To say it's too small for me is to understate the matter by a lot. Very much the fat man on a clown bike. Nevertheless, it was fun to ride and good for several laps around the back yard. I'd hoped for a few more miles on a more size appropriate machine, but some days you take what you can get.

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,289 Posts
Wishin I had some rain to ride in....air you can wear is a subliminal wetness but not nearly as refreshing. Breathing is less efficient in 100% humidity somehow. Still managed to force the monster bike and myself past the 25 mile mark. Left early enough to catch one set of sprinklers running for a nice intentional spray about halfway thru the ride.

Bicycle Wheel Tire Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Crankset

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,289 Posts
I did, even if it was just around the back yard, on a comically small bike: this morning, canine companion Chip and I stumbled across a yard sale where I found a kids' fat bike which had my nephew's name all over it. I already gave his older sisters bikes a couple of years back, but he wasn't old enough to ride at the time. Now he is, and a trip is already in the works.

The bike is quite basic, and I'm told it was never used. Unsurprising, given the way it was assembled. The brake cable was routed in a unique manner which largely precluded functionality. Fortunately an easy fix.
View attachment 54855

After I fixed the cable routing and turned the front tire around so the directional arrow pointed forward, it was time for a test ride. It's a fun little bike! Looks better with the saddle and brakes adjusted. View attachment 54856
To say it's too small for me is to understate the matter by a lot. Very much the fat man on a clown bike. Nevertheless, it was fun to ride and good for several laps around the back yard. I'd hoped for a few more miles on a more size appropriate machine, but some days you take what you can get.
Very cool score and gesture....lucky nephew

side note about assembly.......I crack up at some of the stuff I see done to bikes at the schools when droppin off stuff......backwards forks, ill adjusted levers and shifters, quick releases in open position with the nut just tightened up, seats at weird angles, etc etc etc

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,764 Posts
I made it out late in the day for a sweet 23mi ride on the touring bike with canine companion Chip. We rolled several dirt roads I haven't enjoyed in too long, and did a wonderful section of mild singletrack through a cottonwood forest. Good times indeed. Breezy, but that helped make the already reasonable 80* temps more comfortable. Dry 80's are already pretty much wonderful. I'm so glad I made it out today.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,764 Posts
Today made for a good lesson: it's nearly always better to ride than not. Late in the day, with temps in the low 90's, I realized our stock of adult beverage makings was running low. I actually considered driving the couple of miles to the store and back before realizing this was the excuse I needed to do a quick road test. Earlier I adjusted the touring bike's brakes and shifter positioning.

I loaded up canine companion Chip and off we went. My day got better the moment I hit the saddle. I ended up taking the long way to the store and back home: 5mi instead of just over 1mi. I'd have ridden further yet but for poor scheduling. Still, I got my road test and was reminded that the opportunity to spin out even a few miles is not to be missed.

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,289 Posts
Pic from this morning's pre-inferno blast around the hood. Another nice plus of riding early is sprinklers....someone running sprinklers with the nice thick rotator spray and do loops on their sidewalk, driveway and street getting a nice cool dousing on the way to trails and another on the way back if you're lucky. Some along the greenbelts are also appreciated.

Bicycle Tire Wheel Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle wheel

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,764 Posts
Turns out, there is such a thing as a bad day at the water park. I'd have done better to stay home and ride. This evening I escaped for 16mi with canine companion Chip. His trailer riding form inspired squeals from no less than two little girls. Nowhere close to a record, but still very cute. The heat of the day was past but still hanging on as the sun sank lower. I picked a mostly dirt route and tried to enjoy myself with mixed results.

Chip enjoyed a solid 2mi run after a couple of early false starts. If I had the day to do over again, I'd have just hit the saddle this morning and skipped the water park.

·
Old, fat, and slow
1,098 Posts
I got up extra early so I could mess around and waste and get out just before noon, which as we all know is the coolest time of day .... compared to the next few hours. It was only 90 and light clouds helped, .... I felt pretty weak so I rode a flat route .... somehow I got pretty good (for me) speed ..... I could have smoked any snail, alive or dead .... As a friend used to say .... "Faster than a log" .... ) even though I probably couldn't have bested Chip in a sprint. All in all a decent day after having to work out of town and not having time to ride for several days.

I was thinking about trying the killer hill ride with that group again this week, but from here I have work and then dentistry (nothing like mandible excavation) so I might not get many miles this week at all ..... Whenever I feel motivated I get stuff like this. I say, "I12Ride" and the world says, "No, that is that other guy. Go o the dentist, that's what you really want."

Oh, well. Nothing can take away today's miles.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,764 Posts
Today was one of those rare rides which left me more stressed out at the end than going into it. Canine companion Chip took the opportunity to sh!t his trailer, something he hasn't done in a long time. I was already hanging by my fingernails to a not-so-happy mood and just did not need this today. 12mi. I'd have done better to stay home and ride the couch.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,764 Posts
Today's ride was much better than my last time. Still on the touring bike, with canine companion Chip. He treated his trailer with a modicum of respect this time, even if he didn't show any interest in getting out to run alongside me. Maybe it was a little warm for running, though I'll never complain about temps in the low 80's with low humidity. I spun out 28mi over mixed gravel and pavement. The light breeze was enough to make my outbound leg a bit faster, the return leg wonderfully cool. Chip logged less than 0.5mi of running despite several opportunities.

Great day for a ride.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,764 Posts
After 2.5hrs on the stand up paddle board this morning, I didn't expect to manage a ride this evening, but things just kind of came together. Hooray! I set out with temps in the high 80's but falling along with the Sun. After a really windy day, the evening like the morning, was almost still. Canine companion Chip ran a little over a mile, but in truth only exited his trailer to answer 'the call of nature'. I'm not sure what's up with that, but I'm keeping a closer eye on him. He spent the morning on the paddle board with me, so maybe he was ready to relax in his trailer a bit.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,764 Posts
Today was another 'could easily have missed it' ride. I'm glad I didn't, even if the mileage came out to a mere 6mi. Canine companion Chip got an adventure, and I got to ride.

He did a bit over a mile of running. Temps in the low 60's seemed to agree with him, even as the misting, Pacific Northwest style precipitation seemed to drive him to want to head home. His Chihuahua heritage showing, I presume. He is not a fan of any water which is not for drinking :D .

I had rain gear for us both, but using Chip's requires stopping for the duration of the shower. His physiology falls solidly between the 'small' and 'medium' categories, making things like personal rain coats (yes, I know: rain gear for a dog) hard to size. All the more so in that he rides and runs wearing a body harness for safety.

If not for Chip's need for daily adventure, I'd have just ridden the couch today. I'm better for the ride, brief as it was. What a good dog I have ;).

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,289 Posts
Rain AND lower 60s.......either or and all seem like perfect riding weather. Have to stay off pavement during the day here so tires don't melt and not really sure what rain is anymore.....only shower action has been indoors

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,764 Posts
Today found me hitting the trail on the touring bike with canine companion Chip. He again showed little interest in running, though that's not unusual with temps in the upper 80's. I spun out 23 fast-for-me miles. Chip gathered compliments from passing roadies. I guess he was enjoying his ride. I sure enjoyed mine.

The day was clear and sunny, with thunderheads building in the distance. Had I but known, the breeze and temp dropped in time with a late day power outage.

·
Old, fat, and slow
1,098 Posts
I have been rained out by hard thunderstorms every evening for about a week---too hot all day, then too much rain for an enjoyable ride--so yesterday I decided to get a jump on the rain, even though it meant going out during rush hour,

Typically, as soon as I put on my bibs, the sky darkened and started spitting down rain. Inspired by the mighty Mr. Newleaf, I resolved to go anyway .... I can deal with rain when not falling in buckets and/or not driven by hard wind.

I got a mile down the road--long enough to get good and wet---when the rain just stopped. So now I was on the road in rush-hour traffic but it was too far to go back ....

I didn't do well on the minor inclines---a week off the saddle takes a toll--but I managed to get back home eventually, and I cannot say it wasn't worth it.

I have long known that I could summon rain by taking my bike off the rack. Now I have to wonder if I can stop the rain by actually going riding.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,764 Posts
^^ Rule #5. Having spent my youth and some adulthood visiting FL regularly for family reasons, I've seen some examples of what FL considers 'a hard t-storm'. The rest of the nation might think of it as an outright catastrophe. I'm sure it rains harder somewhere in SE Asia, but I frankly find that hard to imagine. Riding in FL rain, even 'mild' rain, is far more Rule #5 than most of my local rain rides. Just saying, but than you for thinking of me :).

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,764 Posts
Today I did a mere 4mi on the recumbent. It really is a PITA to transport by automobile. Even with 5 broken spokes, I decided to chance the 20", 36-spoke wheel holding together for a last trip to the LBS. It worked out, and it felt great to roll 'bent for a bit. Sadly, they are running a 5 week backlog at the LBS so it may be a minute before I get to enjoy another ride.

The wrench started talking about the cost of replacing spokes one by one and I just laughed. I appreciate his attempt to save me money, but the breakage all happened fairly recently, which hurts my confidence in the wheel. I'd love to get more than ~3k mi out of it, but I ride heavy by nature given my tendency to bring canine companion Chip along in his trailer. Recumbent designs are also known for concentrating weight on the rear wheel. In any event, the replacement will be stronger.

18081 - 18100 of 18108 Posts