Two Spoke Forums banner
18121 - 18140 of 18216 Posts

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,310 Posts
I had two nice rides this week.
Three beach rides last week.

Today I took my bike to the shop for a new cassette, new chain and basic tuneup making sure all the bolts were tightened correctly etc.
I won’t have my bike back for almost 2 weeks.
shoulda brought it by here. we coulda knocked all that out in 2 hours......a day to get here and 1 to get back.......11 day gain and free labor......

·
Old, fat, and slow
1,156 Posts
I went out for an earlier ride to try to beat the heat .... unfortunately, getting up early enough to beat the heat means getting up two months ago, and I cannot figure how to set my alarm for that.

I managed 21 miles---cut down from my planned 24, because I could tell that those last three miles would have been the difference between "Wow, it is pretty warm" and "I should have taken the short route home." Hopefully if I keep trying to ride more I will toughen up and do both the pace and the mileage I wish i could now.

it is all good though .... i got out for a ride, the weather was fairly pleasant, though too hot .... I mean, no driving rain, no lightning, no hail, no buzzard-sized insects, no buzzards---though there was one unfortunate ex-opossum---and (best part of the summer) no school buses in the early morning. Traffic was light, wind was light (headwind on the way home, but not bad) and best of all, I was smart enough to call it early, which increases the odds of me doing it again tomorrow.

(And predictably, half an hour after I got home clouds rolled in and dropped the temp ten degrees .... )

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,874 Posts
Yesterday, I loaded canine companion Chip up in his trailer and headed out on the touring bike for a few early morning miles around the town of Jackson WY. For those of you who aren't aware, Jackson buts up against Grand Teton National Park, which in turn abuts Yellowstone National Park.

The entire town amounts to a string of bucket list rides. Yesterday's 6mi were short but sweet. I did a lot of rubbernecking, but failed to take so much as a single picture. Chip declined to run, but was happy to tool around in his trailer.

I'd hoped for more miles in the afternoon, but in the event paddle boarding with the nieces and nephews won out. I can't complain about that, though Chip can: for the first time, he full-on fell into the water. Chip HATES water for anything but drinking and did not appreciate that development. Happily, the sun was warm and the day magnificent. He dried out quickly.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,874 Posts
Today the timing situation shaped up a little better even if I hit the trail later than yesterday. Still hanging out at my Mom's place in Jackson. This time I took the touring bike out of town, toward the nearby town of Wilson and on from there past the Teton Village Resort and on to the Moose entrance to Grand Teton National Park.

Since I had canine companion Chip with me, we turned around at the Park entrance. Dogs are not permitted to enter the Park by bike. They can enter by car, but not by bike, even riding in a trailer.

In any event, the return trip was even prettier than the outbound leg. Chip got a solid 2mi run in, followed by a quick sploot in a shady section of tall grass. Then it was back into the trailer for some more sweet mileage over the kind of MUPs most can only dream about.

Imagine forest scenes featuring a ribbon of mostly butter smooth pavement, flowing past ponds and verdant greenery of every type. Emergine from the forest, the trail flows through meadows of wildflowers, with the iconic Grand Tetons looming in the distance. Every turn brings greater beauty. I could ride here forever.

Pics will come, but bandwidth is severely limited at the moment. This whole area is filled with bucket list quality rides. Today I got to enjoy 30mi, and bring Chip along for the fun. Would that I had the time and fitness level for quadruple that mileage.

Without a dog, options are enormous. With one, the NP stuff comes off the table, but that leaves quite a lot of options remaining, along with more potential mileage than I could ride in a month, maybe even a summer. Sure would be cool to try.

·
Old, fat, and slow
1,156 Posts
Take your time .... we can wait on pictures. Based on experience---well worth the wait.

You be careful with Baby Yoda and keep pedaling, friend. I am exceedingly happy to hear about your adventures.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,874 Posts
{80's beat} I wear my sun glasses at night. So I can, so I can keep the bugs from filling up my eyes :D. Seriously. I forgot my glasses case with its clear night lenses.

What a day! Began with Mrs. Newleaf and 4 hrs on paddle boards on String Lake in Grand Teton National Park. Not cycling related, but something everyone should do :love:. What a float it was. Pics to come, still having bandwidth issues.

After the lake and some much deserved chow, I loaded canine companion Chip up in the trailer and rode us out to my sister's place in the nearby town of Wilson. The nieces and nephew had heard of Chip's trailer riding prowess, but never seen it. That sad state of affairs has now been corrected. Chip got a couple miles of running in, and I'm fairly certain he is now on Tik Tok or maybe Instagram :ROFLMAO:.

There is a basically a single road between the towns of Jackson and Wilson WY. There is also a bike trail. I'd say the latter is preferable about any time, but outbound during rush hour, I was able to easily outpace traffic at times, rolling 15-18mph.

Then traffic picked up a little, but I noticed one little SUV flanking me. Then it pulled ahead and stopped on the shoulder and a hand with a phone appeared from the window. Despite the fact that we're talking one of the most photogenic parts of the world here, I felt confident that the camera was for...well, Chip :cool:. Sure enough, almost as soon as I rolled past, the SUV went back into the traffic lane, then paced me for a 2nd time, this time with phone hanging out the open window. I should have asked for the hash tag. Assuming they do that on Tik Tik? No, I think it's Tik Tok ;).

In any event, the route shared segments with yesterday's, but I'd been looking forward to completing the run to Wilson, and the trail didn't disappoint. I live in CO and grew up seeing some of the best natural features the Southwest US has to offer. It's not that this area is better so much as it is that the density of natural beauty is so very high here.

After a ride with the little ones and dinner at my sister's, it was time to return to Jackson just as night began to fall. Perfect! I loaded Chip up and fired up my lights, and we were off. Sadly, Mrs. Newleaf had to drive due to a sprained ankle from a prior adventure.

I'd ridden the route before, parts of it just yesterday. The gathering shadows lent a different perspective. I could ride this area forever. I ended up with 10mi outbound, 3 mi with the little ones, and another 8mi back. I love this place.

·
Old, fat, and slow
1,156 Posts
Seeing as Mr. ewleaf is paddling or driving, I guess i need to step up ....

Did three good rides, took a much-needed day off, then decided to do a ten-mile grocery ride---real slow---just to get the blood flowing. Of course it started to rain just as i started to gear up, and rain + groceries is no bueno--I don't like to leave puddles in the store. Took the car, and of course the rain stopped as soon as I got home.

Today i got ready early, and when the overcast rolled in, I rolled out .... and the clouds rolled away, leaving a beautiful clear sky and scorching sun. Still, it wasn't boiling sauna weather as it often is this time of year, and I managed to do some decent (for me) miles.

I didn't see Baby Yoda or anything else of note ..... well, several pods of Sandhill cranes, which I like ..... and a family of egrets which flew away as i rode under their nest .... I didn't see a "No bikes allowed" sign, maybe they hadn't hung it yet.

Out of town working again this weekend, so i bet we'll have perfect riding weather. You guys can make good use of it.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,874 Posts
Today was my final day in Jackson for this trip. We had planned a jaunt up YNP yesterday, but Mrs. Newleaf came down with an ugly stomach bug and that ate up the day. Instead today we returned to String Lake for more blissful hours of floating. Then it was back to Jackson and to the Shakespeare in the Park play, "A Midsummer Night's Dream". One of my nieces played in the kiddo pre-show and did a great job.

That said, I am not a Shakespeare buff, and it's been a long week. My social anxiety meter pegged, then broke and began flapping madly. I left after the kiddo show and headed for my bike. For once, I left trailer and dog behind and hit the road alone. It was just what I needed. I made my way through town using a half-remembered route and the town's excellent bike signage.

I quickly hit my destination, the National Elk Refuge, and enjoyed a sunset ride along its hard surface dirt road. The Refuge road is an out and back, and the light failed just as I was hitting pavement again. A few more miles through town in full dark brought me back to my Mom's place. She and Mrs. Newleaf will be back from the play shortly. I'm sorry I missed the main show, but I got to see my niece act and then enjoyed a bike ride when it was clear that the main show was going to be lost on me.

Also got a few last pics for this trip. I'll be posting some once I'm back in the land of copious bandwidth.

·
Registered
7,586 Posts
It all started the evening before last on a MTB ride with my youngest son 19) at the park.
We ended the ride with descents on two new trails and had a great time. Man was that fun!!

That evening, he asked if I would get up early the next morning to ride it again, before he leaves for PA to spending the weekend with a couple of college buddies.

Not being one to say no to spending time with my kiddos, i was up a little after 6 a.m. the next morning (yesterday).

It was too foggy to ride, so we performed some maintenance on his car for a couple hours, then hit the trails.

Jumping ahead now that I've set the scene.....

We were into the fun descents on the new trails when he ran off the trail, downa step bank, into a log, over the handlebars sailing through the air snapping inch think saplings like they were Balsa wood and slamming into the ground. Bike and saplings landing on top of him.

Now this is someone who has always had a high tolerance for pain, yet he was yelling out in pain.

He knew immediately something was seriously wrong.
He asked me to look at his shoulder.
Pulling back the neck of his shirt, it was obvious that he had either a broken or dislocated shoulder.

I got him into sitting position and called a good friend & general surgeon who advised us to get to the ER as quickly as possible, because the longer we wait, the harder it is to pop in a dislocation and the more damage it does.

We were likely about 2 miles from the closest hardtop road.

I called my Bride and gave her instructions on how to get through gates with my work truck to the closest access to us.

I also called resort staff and had them get a side by side and head our way.

At times, he could walk. At other times, he was bent over in pain and couldn't move......only 2 minutes later saying it hurts too much to stand still and would start walking again.....me pushing two bikes behind him.

After30-40 minutes of walking and stopping, we made it to the meet up spot before the side by side was even in earshot and just as my Bride was pulling up which had trouble with locked gates, was pulling up.

We left the bikes there and notified resort staff to pick them up and headed to the ER where he was waited on by (his words) two decent nurses and a pretty doctor. (the healing process started )
They doped him up nicely with several of the big name pain & muscle relaxers.
X-ray showed no break but an internal dislocation (pressed too far in)

Then, one, two snap, crackle, POP..... He said it was immediate pain relief, once they got the shoulder back in place.

He's now in a sling at home. No trip to visit his friends.
Will be seeing an Orthopedic Dr. for a while. No working out for a while (he's been in the gym 5 days a week lately). No bike riding for a while.
His positive attitude and residual effects of the meds gave him in good spirits.

Two days of riding = maybe 8 miles or less. Effect on my age, multiplicative effect.

18121 - 18140 of 18216 Posts