Two Spoke Forums banner
18361 - 18380 of 18397 Posts

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
6,122 Posts
This is the first time I saw her ride this bike. With all the stuff we were bringing up to the cabin her front wheel drive recumbent Cruiser bike wouldn’t fit. This bike fits on the rear rack.
This dog is amazing, I’m so glad she brought her dog. She is so funny when Karen and I are paying attention to each other and not her she gets jealous and starts dancing around wanting to play.t
It's a bit of a joke between Mrs. Newleaf and I that all of our hugs for some years now have been 'barky hugs', assuming any canine pack members were around to observe :D. The term 'barky' may be read to include without limitation, barks, growls, howls, grunts, whines, and attempts to muscle betwixt the huggers. All to better appropriate all that misdirected attention, don't you know ;).

That said, ours have tended to fade away of their own accord at those times when the hugs became serious, as it were. That is certainly ideal. The rest of the time, barky hugs are pretty darned awesome. I hope you all enjoy your time together 🥰.

·
Old, fat, and slow
1,271 Posts
You guys lose, hard .... because my iPhone4, which was also my bike computer, has ceased to track GPS.

Becasue of this I have to bring my newer old iPhone, which is not packed with music, so I can take pictures. Now you have to look at low-skill, low-quality photos .... Mwahahaha .........

Haven't been riding much .... no good reason, no really bad reason .... just wasting precious time. But tomorrow I am going to try another group ride, i think. If you never hear from me again, you will know they couldn't tolerate me ......

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
6,122 Posts
Today I headed out on the touring bike for 26 fabulous miles on the touring bike with canine companion Chip. We took an easy route and he enjoyed a lot of running! Indeed, I may have robbed him of a PR for distance, but I was particularly absent minded about remembering his starting and finishing numbers. I know he ran at least 7mi, equaling his longest ever run. I'm pretty sure he bested that by at least a mile, but can't say for certain due to the absent minded thing. Nevertheless, Chip had a great day on the trail.

So did I. The local fall color is fading but still quite nice to look at. Funny how quiet it is relative to the Ice Cream Truck :D.

·
Old, fat, and slow
1,271 Posts
The mini-group ride went well enough. 31 miles in just over two hours, a little bit higher pace than I was used to but very doable. It was not a paceline ride .... more of a social ride (except I don't talk to people.) Still I have been needing to increase my mileage, and having someone keeping the pace up a little was exactly what I needed.

Congrats to Chip.

·
Registered
7,685 Posts
I had a nice 41 mile ride yesterday.
I had hoped to do a longer loop, but there just wasn’t enough daylight to pull that off, so i went partway and turned back.
It was a beautiful day in summer kit and there were still a few trees with pretty color.
Sadly, today it’s rain all day.
My legs are happy about that though. If i do ride, it’ll be inside and without climbing.

·
Old, fat, and slow
1,271 Posts
So, after Sunday’s slowish group ride (slow for them, not for me) I couldn’t really ride my work bike with full faith and confidence because it had not only displayed some bizarre chain-skipping issue under high load, it also started clicking—and I cannot abide a noisy (even though it was barely audible) or untrustworthy drive train.

I had already swapped the chain and cleaned and adjusted everything, and indexed it really well (because 5800 105 is so easy to get right) so I am really frustrated—I have no clue what actually might be malfunctioning or why.

Well, that is why quivers hold more than one arrow … so lazy people can avoid maintenance.

I had been needing to Loc-tite the rescue bottom bracket on my 1983 Raleigh Rustbucket, and since it was an easy job that I knew I could do right, I just went and did it. The bike is pretty nice—it is not a top-tier frame, had decade-old Tiagra running gear and very uninspiring 105 brakes (I need to do something with the levers, which barely move and barely give any leverage, but I don’t know what,) and 23-mm tires, but it is still pretty comfortable and fun to ride.

It might need a little dialing-in … but it was one of those “My get-up-and-go must have got up and went” days when everything felt like a hill and a headwind. I was happy to get in some miles … and I saw a couple thing I would have photographed but A.) Most stuff looks great live and lame in pictures and B.) I had my phone attached to the bike with an old inner tube and getting it loose would have taken too much effort. Win for you guys.

I did not eat any ice cream, though I was passed by a several trucks. Chip did not run along with me. So … nothing to report.

Bicycle Tire Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Wheel Bicycle wheel rim

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
6,122 Posts
So, after Sunday’s slowish group ride (slow for them, not for me) I couldn’t really ride my work bike with full faith and confidence because it had not only displayed some bizarre chain-skipping issue under high load, it also started clicking—and I cannot abide a noisy (even though it was barely audible) or untrustworthy drive train.

I had already swapped the chain and cleaned and adjusted everything, and indexed it really well (because 5800 105 is so easy to get right) so I am really frustrated—I have no clue what actually might be malfunctioning or why.

Well, that is why quivers hold more than one arrow … so lazy people can avoid maintenance.

I had been needing to Loc-tite the rescue bottom bracket on my 1983 Raleigh Rustbucket, and since it was an easy job that I knew I could do right, I just went and did it. The bike is pretty nice—it is not a top-tier frame, had decade-old Tiagra running gear and very uninspiring 105 brakes (I need to do something with the levers, which barely move and barely give any leverage, but I don’t know what,) and 23-mm tires, but it is still pretty comfortable and fun to ride.

It might need a little dialing-in … but it was one of those “My get-up-and-go must have got up and went” days when everything felt like a hill and a headwind. I was happy to get in some miles … and I saw a couple thing I would have photographed but A.) Most stuff looks great live and lame in pictures and B.) I had my phone attached to the bike with an old inner tube and getting it loose would have taken too much effort. Win for you guys.

I did not eat any ice cream, though I was passed by a several trucks. Chip did not run along with me. So … nothing to report.

View attachment 55657
I dig the bike! I really love the looks of a lugged frame.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
6,122 Posts
Only 13mi today, but it was great to be out on my touring bike with canine companion Chip. He was once again very much into running and logged 5.5mi total. I was a bit lacking in energy and rode more slowly than usual, but it felt good to be out.

·
Old, fat, and slow
1,271 Posts
I dig the bike! I really love the looks of a lugged frame.
Yes .... except for the rust, the bike is quite nice-looking .... but it gave me a bad case of Newleaf Wrist, so I am not sure how much riding I will be doing for the next couple days.

I think it is part of Surly's "Everybody needs an ice Cream Truck" campaign, where they hire bikes to hurt riders' wrists, so they need flat bars.

I sympathize with low energy .... must be atmospheric.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
6,122 Posts
Yes .... except for the rust, the bike is quite nice-looking .... but it gave me a bad case of Newleaf Wrist, so I am not sure how much riding I will be doing for the next couple days.

I think it is part of Surly's "Everybody needs an ice Cream Truck" campaign, where they hire bikes to hurt riders' wrists, so they need flat bars.

I sympathize with low energy .... must be atmospheric.
But...everybody does need an Ice Cream Truck! Or perhaps a Wednesday. Most just haven't realized it, yet :D.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
6,122 Posts
Today I set out alone on the Ice Cream Truck. With temps in the low 40's and falling, snow in the forecast, it sadly wasn't the day for canine companion Chip to accompany me. I'd hoped I might catch a bit of the forecast afternoon rain turning to snow, but in the event all I got was blustery winds and angry looking skies for the bulk of the ride.

I enjoyed a favorite section of nearby singletrack before spinning out a favorite loop. Got a bit chilly toward the end as the wind kicked up, but my clothing choices worked out a lot better this time, and I had known-good alternate options in my trunk bag. Rolling along the Highline Canal through a section with great views of the Denver Front Range, it was cool to see the storm rolling in, progressively erasing the mountains from view.

The first flakes began to fall in the last 3 of my ride's 22mi. It began as individual flakes, just a few a minute. Pretty, but nothing like the blanket of beauty that's pouring down, now. The wind has stopped and the snow has settled in. Too bad. Seems I headed out a bit early, but it was still a great day to be out. Our fall color is fading fast at this point, but there are still a lot of pretty trees to be seen.

I'm sorry tomorrow morning is already spoken for by non-cycling commitments. It is shaping up to be a great morning for a snow ride. So be it: the season is young.

·
tall old member
1,609 Posts
I did a forty mile ride today. It started off chilly only 39° when I got up. I put on two base layers and a long sleeve jersey. Made it twenty miles before I had to take off one of my base layers.

I saw no other bikes on the roads today. When I got to the bike trail around the lake I counted a total of seven ebikes. People are getting lazier every day.

On the way home I had a truck pulling a big horse trailer stop at a stop sign, sit there for maybe five seconds and then pull out just as I was at the intersection. I hit my brakes and missed him by about a foot. The horses saw the whole thing and stomped their disapproval on the trailer floor.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I did a forty mile ride today. It started off chilly only 39° when I got up. I put on two base layers and a long sleeve jersey. Made it twenty miles before I had to take off one of my base layers.

I saw no other bikes on the roads today. When I got to the bike trail around the lake I counted a total of seven ebikes. People are getting lazier every day.

On the way home I had a truck pulling a big horse trailer stop at a stop sign, sit there for maybe five seconds and then pull out just as I was at the intersection. I hit my brakes and missed him by about a foot. The horses saw the whole thing and stomped their disapproval on the trailer floor.
The horses were particularly upset. They'll get back at their owner for riding like that :)
But seriously, I don't like to ride in this weather, put me on the lazy list too :) Not only is it cold to the body, but cold air goes into the lungs, which is dangerous for inflammation. I have to be very trained, like you, for example.

·
Registered
7,685 Posts
A friend visited today and we rode an it and back at an easy pace while we caught up.
We had incredible weather mid 60s - mid 70s. It was a little windy a few times, but overall the wind was mild.
We even encountered two dogs….big dogs….in the road, but they happily wagged their tails and smiled as we passed.
36 miles.

·
tall old member
1,609 Posts
Yes, cold is a big barrier ..... some folks like it .... i very occasionally tolerate it .....
The worst part of cold weather riding for me is it makes my nose run. Between getting quite good at snot rockets and always having two bandanna handkerchiefs I manage but it is annoying. When Covid first hit and it was almost impossible to find a mask to buy I found a cycling mask online and bought it. It gave 0 Covid protection but it did make winter riding better. It complicated blowing my nose though. I usually just pulled off the road and stopped to remove my mask, blow my nose and remask.

·
Registered
7,685 Posts
The next day….. Saturday past, my buddy and I rode a challenging 38 mile loop which i affectionately claim as my favorite.
We were just spinning with occasional sprints.
The wind was incredible at times. He told me later that he’d never ridden in winds that strong, and he’s ridden around a bit.

It sure was nice not riding solo for the first time this year.

·
tall old member
1,609 Posts
I rode 40.8 miles today, over 1,700 feet of climbing. I chased a couple eBikes today. I couldn’t keep up on the climbs but I would reel them in on the less steep climbs. Just as I was closing in on them they pulled into a trailhead to load up and drive home. I had two PRs today. It amazes me I have been riding this area for 18 years and am still getting PRs on my rides. Of course I have tons of local legends because I’m about the only one that rides out here regularly.

18361 - 18380 of 18397 Posts