Two Spoke Forums banner
18381 - 18397 of 18397 Posts

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
6,122 Posts
I recently got my recumbent back from the 2nd LBS it's now seen. Yesterday I got it out for a test ride. Happily, they fixed the shifting issues, front and rear. Less happily, the rear brake is now slightly slower to squeal, but does so all the louder when it does, at even moderate pressure. That's with the new pads, adjustments, cable, and all. I am starting to wonder if the best answer isn't to take a page from a bad Western, call the iron horse leg-broke, and shoot the silly thing to put it out of its misery. The bike sure isn't getting ridden like this, and I'm sick of messing with it.

·
Registered
7,685 Posts
I rode the last two days.
It’s so hard getting rides in, with the shorter days and cooler weather.
I have to leave work early to do so, which means i must work six or seven days to get my work done.
Nevertheless, i ride!!!

Two days ago, i did a nice, hard out abs back push of around 26 miles. My goal was to end with an average of 18 mph. This is 3mph faster than my normal goal of 15+ which i typically don’t have a problem with.
I ended @ 17.8 mph average and was happy with it, because THAT WAS HARD WORK.

Yesterday’s ride was 26 or so mile loop around part of this lake. It has some challenging hills, two lanes the entire way and bet little traffic.
Oddly enough, for the first time i can remember, i had trouble with school buses. One nearly ran me off the road. The next started honking the horn at me, and not a little beep to warn me they were coming around.
It must have been a bad day to be a bus driver.
Anyway, wore summer kit. This was fine in direct sun, but when i entered shadows…..burr….i could have used insulated long sleeves.

·
Old, fat, and slow
1,271 Posts
I know this site is supposed to focus on bicycles, but instead today I want to talk about brains---and why I hate them.

I have been chasing a drive train issue on my rain bike/work bike for many months. It rarely shows up in daily use, but under extreme chain tension, the chain seems to bind and skip. I have removed a reassembled and lubed and adjusted the rear derailleur a couple times, and it is almost perfectly indexed, spotlessly clean, and well lubricated.

The problem persists.

I swapped in a different wheel and cassette, thinking that maybe the pawls were jammed or worn, or maybe the cassette was worn (invisibly.)

Yet, the problem persists.

All I can think is that the jockey wheels must be worn …. And I think I have a set somewhere, and also a whole new rear derailleur …. if I could get up to look for them.

However, my evil brain is telling me that I shouldn’t.

After all, what do I do if I swap out the jockey wheels and the problem persists? What do I do if a whole new rear derailleur fails to solve the problem?

My brain is telling me that I am better off in limbo, because I have no clue where this ends up otherwise. Therefore I have not even looked at the bike in almost a week.

Since it has been raining and it is my designated rain bike, I haven’t looked at any other bike either. The brain says, “No.”

About a week ago I pulled out my regular ride, which is absolutely great in the rain---it is a bicycle, after all--- and have it stood up in the garage ready to roll … but I haven’t touched it. I have reached over it or moved it to do other things in the garage but have never reached out to ride it. My brain tells me it would be too depressing to ride, because it would remind me that I still haven’t fixed my rain bike.

I have put off going to the store for several days, because normally I ride my rain bike/work bike. I have other bikes which can carry full panniers, but riding them would mean surrendering to my failure to fix the other bike, my brain tells me.

Finally today I am going to the store … in my car. It is okay, as I have to return a pair of shoes I mail-ordered from Walmart, and I refuse to ride to Walmart because they have no safe bike-parking facilities, and the security guards (old, withered, uncreative people) freaked out last time I locked up in the (cavernous, almost empty) lobby.

In fact, I have only returned to that store maybe twice in ten years because I was so offended …. But now I can either mail a pair of shoes to some distribution center in Indiana or something, or drop them off at a store five miles away, right near to the grocery store …..

I figure while I am at Walmart I will shop for something like a Home Brain Removal kit or something ... maybe an ice pick …. Because if I can’t get past this evil brain, who knows when I might ride again?

Anyway …. I have enough bikes and enough time, and too many brains ….. and I most certainly am not getting rid of any bikes.

·
Registered
7,685 Posts
^^^
I feel your pain.
It’s such a struggle, but when you finally break down and continue troubleshooting…….and then actually finding & fixing the problem……the rain day celebration will begin and you’ll ride wet with the biggest grin!!!!

How about something that would allow the entire wheel to ride relatively stable under mild riding, but with extra tension, say up hill, it would slightly wobble, causing the cassette to spin like a warped record and thus the chain issue?

Best of luck with this puzzle.

·
tall old member
1,609 Posts
I know this site is supposed to focus on bicycles, but instead today I want to talk about brains---and why I hate them.

I have been chasing a drive train issue on my rain bike/work bike for many months. It rarely shows up in daily use, but under extreme chain tension, the chain seems to bind and skip. I have removed a reassembled and lubed and adjusted the rear derailleur a couple times, and it is almost perfectly indexed, spotlessly clean, and well lubricated.

The problem persists.

I swapped in a different wheel and cassette, thinking that maybe the pawls were jammed or worn, or maybe the cassette was worn (invisibly.)

Yet, the problem persists.

All I can think is that the jockey wheels must be worn …. And I think I have a set somewhere, and also a whole new rear derailleur …. if I could get up to look for them.

However, my evil brain is telling me that I shouldn’t.

After all, what do I do if I swap out the jockey wheels and the problem persists? What do I do if a whole new rear derailleur fails to solve the problem?

My brain is telling me that I am better off in limbo, because I have no clue where this ends up otherwise. Therefore I have not even looked at the bike in almost a week.

Since it has been raining and it is my designated rain bike, I haven’t looked at any other bike either. The brain says, “No.”

About a week ago I pulled out my regular ride, which is absolutely great in the rain---it is a bicycle, after all--- and have it stood up in the garage ready to roll … but I haven’t touched it. I have reached over it or moved it to do other things in the garage but have never reached out to ride it. My brain tells me it would be too depressing to ride, because it would remind me that I still haven’t fixed my rain bike.

I have put off going to the store for several days, because normally I ride my rain bike/work bike. I have other bikes which can carry full panniers, but riding them would mean surrendering to my failure to fix the other bike, my brain tells me.

Finally today I am going to the store … in my car. It is okay, as I have to return a pair of shoes I mail-ordered from Walmart, and I refuse to ride to Walmart because they have no safe bike-parking facilities, and the security guards (old, withered, uncreative people) freaked out last time I locked up in the (cavernous, almost empty) lobby.

In fact, I have only returned to that store maybe twice in ten years because I was so offended …. But now I can either mail a pair of shoes to some distribution center in Indiana or something, or drop them off at a store five miles away, right near to the grocery store …..

I figure while I am at Walmart I will shop for something like a Home Brain Removal kit or something ... maybe an ice pick …. Because if I can’t get past this evil brain, who knows when I might ride again?

Anyway …. I have enough bikes and enough time, and too many brains ….. and I most certainly am not getting rid of any bikes.
Sounds like it’s time for a new bike.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
6,122 Posts
This morning, I squandered a really good snow storm on previously scheduled medical appointments. By the time I got home and got my gear on, the snow had gone from a high density of huge, thick flakes to sparser, smaller flakes driven by a bit of a breeze. Temps fell from 25* this morning to 22* by the time I made it out on the Ice Cream Truck. What fun! Today I got my clothing choices more right than not. Especially gloves. Though this was my second ride through falling snow on the Truck, temps on the first were such that very little of the snowfall was sticking to the pavement.

Today, I rode through a solid 3" in places which had not been plowed. Strangely, the Truck seems not to notice the snow at all: in transitioning from plowed pavement to virgin snow more than once, I simply felt nothing on hitting the snow. By way of comparison, I notice the transitions much more on my touring bike with its 700x45c tires. It's subtle, but 3" of snow imparts a fair bit of rolling resistance. Perhaps the Truck's 4.8" meats already have so much rolling resistance that the added friction from snow is meaningless, lol. It was really funny to hear that aggressive tread humming away despite the 3" blanket of fresh snow and low speeds.

Today marks my first properly sub-freezing ride in quite a long time. Maybe since 2019. It sure felt good to be out in the cold. I enjoyed the Ice Cream Truck a lot, though the few patches of ice I found proved much more interesting than I had hoped. I also rode with 'pavement' range tire pressures around 15psi. No doubt I'd be better off dropping to single digit tire pressures, or maybe dropping the $500 necessary to get studded fat bike tires. We shall see. For now, I'm just happy to have made it out for a ride. It's been too long.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
6,122 Posts
I’ve hit the trainer yesterday and today. Snow/Ice keeps me off two wheels most of the time.

Total miles about 32

I love snow. I really need to try riding in it again.
Riding in the snow brings its own equipment and skill requirements, but I think if I can do it, anyone can. There's just nothing like riding in the falling snow or laying down the first set of tracks on a favorite trail. Do it!

·
Old, fat, and slow
1,271 Posts
So .... a fter not riding for a while because I couldn't fix my bike, I broke down and ordered a set of jockey wheels .... they arrived along with some ten-day influenza/infection which kelp me unable to do much of anything of value.

I finally got out last night for a few miles and plan to go again in a few minutes.

This whole month just flushed itself down the drain, it seems ...... I am trying to pull a few dank strands back out before the whole thing rots entirely.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
6,122 Posts
So .... a fter not riding for a while because I couldn't fix my bike, I broke down and ordered a set of jockey wheels .... they arrived along with some ten-day influenza/infection which kelp me unable to do much of anything of value.

I finally got out last night for a few miles and plan to go again in a few minutes.

This whole month just flushed itself down the drain, it seems ...... I am trying to pull a few dank strands back out before the whole thing rots entirely.
Would that it was just me. I hope matters begin looking up soon.

·
Old, fat, and slow
1,271 Posts
Well, November was a bust ... two rides all month ... but hey, I certainly proved my talents as a phlegm-generator and germ-spreader. Got out of a "First Day of December" ride ... only 13 miles and slow ones at that---but whatever. I have lost so much fitness this year .... if I didn't have you guys reminding me that I am actually pretty young and have it pretty easy, i would just give up and eat pizza and ice cream in front of the TV. So ... thanks, I guess.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
6,122 Posts
Well, November was a bust ... two rides all month ... but hey, I certainly proved my talents as a phlegm-generator and germ-spreader. Got out of a "First Day of December" ride ... only 13 miles and slow ones at that---but whatever. I have lost so much fitness this year .... if I didn't have you guys reminding me that I am actually pretty young and have it pretty easy, i would just give up and eat pizza and ice cream in front of the TV. So ... thanks, I guess.
If it helps at all, I think we tied for November rides, and you're beating me for December so far. [email protected] I had a solid streak going there for a bit. Not even sure what happened. Here's hoping for a much better December for us both!

18381 - 18397 of 18397 Posts