Two Spoke Forums banner
18401 - 18420 of 18451 Posts

· Old, fat, and slow
1,322 Posts
I finally got out again .... don't hate me, but temps were high 60's with no wind .... I kept it short and the slight inclines weren't much fun, but at least I sat on something besides furniture. Weightlifting is next,.... i hope ..... I have lost muscle and fitness I didn't have in any sort of excess to begin with .... but at least something.

No pizza for me yet, but at least I earned my rice and beans.

· Deranged Touring Cyclist
6,195 Posts
Oh happy day! After more than a month out of the saddle, I finally made it out for 24 happy if strenuous miles on the Ice Cream Truck. It's not that the ride was that bad as much as that it's been more than a month and I've lost fitness level. Also, I played in the heavy sand for a few miles. I love that I actually can ride on sand I'd fear crossing in a non-4x4 automobile, but it takes a lot of effort.

With temps in the high 30's and a mild breeze, I knew I was somewhat overdressed when I set out. It's been a minute since I played frequently in the cold and I chose to play it warm. I rode to a local reservoir with an eye toward riding as much of the shoreline as I could. I knew from paddling the route in the summer that I wouldn't be able to do the full route right on the shoreline, but winter water levels offered more potential. Turns out, water levels are up significantly since last month, leaving little in the way of shoreline here and there. It usually stays low for a few more months.

I rode a few really pretty miles right along the edge of the water, where it soaks into the sand and gives it just enough structure to allow me to roll smooth and easy. I enjoyed the sound of my tires' aggressive tread on the sand, with bird song providing the background music.

In places, jumbled lake ice was being pushed onto the shore by the wind. This drove me into the loose beach sand. While not as challenging to ride as really fine ocean beach sand, riding it inevitably created an oxygen debt situation. Great training, but not a whole lot of fun. I rode it until I was ready for something different. Found some singletrack leading up to a network of the same which appears to encircle the lake at a bit greater range than I was trying for.

I wish I could express how good it feels to ride even mild singletrack on my Ice Cream Truck. Any time I'm astride it on singletrack, everything feels right and good. Like I'm doing what I should be doing, in a larger sense. That makes me a little sad, because I just don't get that sensation when I ride my other bikes on, in some cases, the very same trails. At the same time, it's pretty obvious which of my bikes is the best tool for the job of making me happy while rolling singletrack.

I'm looking forward to summer.

6,195 Posts
Two more Trainer rides.
So sad that i didn’t push myself to get outside……now that i see the forecast for the next week+

22 & 16 miles.

That 16 mile ride was so hard. I wanted off the bike before 10!!

Does anyone else recall when Xela did a century on his trainer several years back? That’s some mental stamina he had.
I miss hearing from Xela. He did/does some really awesome stuff. I don't remember a century trainer session, but that does sound about like him. Hardcore.

· Old, fat, and slow
1,322 Posts
Once again I am surprised at how much easier it is to ride when it isn’t 90+ degrees. It was a windy 60 degrees when I went out and 52 when I got home but at no time was I even mildly uncomfortable—with the weather. My lungs hated me pretty harshly, but the weather was fine.

I tried to take a couple pictures, but stupid iPhone (or is that iPhone S-tupid) kept deciding what a “good” picture should be, and when faced with enormous beauty, helpfully killed the color and contrast. I tried to restore some of what I saw ….. if I had brought a real camera I would have shot a lot more pics because there were a few good scenes.

First, a regional classic: Trash at Sunset .....
Water Sky Plant Natural landscape Wood

There is no way I can bring out the color here .... the blue water on the right was So Blue .....
Plant Sky Branch Natural landscape Shade

Again, the sky was such a soft pastel wash across a wide spectrum, photos cannot come close----
Sky Water Natural landscape Branch Afterglow

I wanted one more, I think it was Venus in a huge pastel sky from a tiny band of dark yellow up into full purple, but I didn't waste my time. We have all seen this stuff, we know what it looks like.

Anyway ... supposed to hit freezing tomorrow so I am really glad I finally found my way back onto the bike today.

6,195 Posts
Once again I am surprised at how much easier it is to ride when it isn’t 90+ degrees. It was a windy 60 degrees when I went out and 52 when I got home but at no time was I even mildly uncomfortable—with the weather. My lungs hated me pretty harshly, but the weather was fine.

I tried to take a couple pictures, but stupid iPhone (or is that iPhone S-tupid) kept deciding what a “good” picture should be, and when faced with enormous beauty, helpfully killed the color and contrast. I tried to restore some of what I saw ….. if I had brought a real camera I would have shot a lot more pics because there were a few good scenes.

First, a regional classic: Trash at Sunset ..... View attachment 55764

There is no way I can bring out the color here .... the blue water on the right was So Blue .....
View attachment 55765

Again, the sky was such a soft pastel wash across a wide spectrum, photos cannot come close----
View attachment 55766

I wanted one more, I think it was Venus in a huge pastel sky from a tiny band of dark yellow up into full purple, but I didn't waste my time. We have all seen this stuff, we know what it looks like.

Anyway ... supposed to hit freezing tomorrow so I am really glad I finally found my way back onto the bike today.
Way to generate some envy, man. Beautiful pics and boy, does it sound like the nice season is upon you! Enjoy :cool:. Locally our temperature is 5*F and falling.

6,195 Posts
Merry Christmas, all! I hope the holiday has treated you well.

I made it out for a quick 14mi on the Ice Cream Truck this afternoon. Temps were in the high 40's with a bit of snow remaining on the ground. The 'Truck ate it all up, as usual. I'd have ridden a little further, but had the happiest of reasons to turn back: the trail was closed for work on a trail underpass at a very busy street crossing. The 'street' in question is a 4 lane, 55mph highway. I'm comfortable crossing it, but that doesn't mean I enjoy doing so. It'll be great to have an underpass there.

It was otherwise just wonderful to be out on my bike.

6,195 Posts
No, but I did try. In the course of doing so, I learned that 12" of fresh, wet snow is too deep for cycling, even on a fat bike. I could get into the saddle easily enough and the deep snow even helped me stay upright as I put feet to pedals and supplied torque. Nothing doing: the rear tire kept breaking traction. I even tried 'rocking' back and forth as one does in a car that's not quite stuck. Not happening, at least, not when it comes to getting moving in a foot of virgin snow.

On the happy side, the 'Denver Snow Shovel', i.e. the Sun, made an appearance in the afternoon and reduced the depth somewhat even as passing automobiles churned our street into a mess. Perhaps I'll try again tomorrow. Snow is such fun.

· Maturity Challenged
1,180 Posts
I really do enjoy riding in the snow, but it seems that even fat bikes have their limits.
Once your pedals start dipping into the media you are riding on/thru, you might as well find another route.

Fat tire bikes work well until you sink into soft sugar sand, snow or mud. If you can't maintain enough speed, control and traction, it can be very difficult to get started again.

I find that one mile in sugar sand is about the same effort as ten miles on the road.

18401 - 18420 of 18451 Posts