Two Spoke Forums banner
61 - 73 of 73 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
I knew by March I bit off more than I could chew. I thought maybe it was do-able but i'd have to train really hard. Well those training days just never happened as much as I liked. I finished the Half Pint though and I'm damn proud of it. My buddy's already planning on doing the 200 again next year. I'm undecided, I finished pretty late on the 111 mi course and I would really like to progress my riding before committing to the 200 again with the knowledge and experience I have now.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,597 Posts
Ryno, you are officially a [email protected]$$ for pulling that off. You set yourself a huge challenge, and did it. A century in gravel...wow. I think you were wise to handle it the way you did.

Xela, you're a beast. Sorry to hear about the stomach thing, though my sympathy is offset by jealousy at the idea of having any legs left at all after 200+mi of gravel :D

Bravo, both of you!

·
Kstate Gal
399 Posts
Big congrats to you both. 1-for even attempting ( I would never attempt such foolishness :eek: and 2- for finishing at some level even though you mite not have met your personal goal. Great job. Well done. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
5,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
Ya my thoughts exactly. I did 14mi on Monday and 2.7 yesterday. None today, been battling this cough/sinus thing and stayed in bed most of the day. I'm still beat!

And... I get to work a 50hr week this week on my good ol night shift after being off for 5 days. Ya me! NOT!

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
I've had some good rides this week including the shop ride last night. Spirits are back up. I even bought one of the event photos to remember it with.

Considering signing up for the Heck of the North. It looks like the REEB would be perfect for that.

Bicycle Bicycle helmet Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Wheel Tire

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
I like seeing a former pro and professional coach label the DK200 as a push outside of his comfort zone. :)

Just like anyone else, I have my favorite rides and events. But I also stretch myself to take on challenges that push me outside my comfort zone. This year, the Dirty Kanza 200 was one of those events. Not many people ever ride a 200-mile race – not even pros – much less one on remote gravel roads in Kansas.

·
Two skinny J's
21,751 Posts
I'm undecided yet if I want to try the 200 or not. I haven't rode near as much as I would have liked to so far this year.
A double in and of itself is pretty huge ride. Throw in some gravel and you have yourself a helluva tough ride! Don't underestimate what you will need both physically and mentally to accomplish something like this.

I felt the same about the Shenandoah 100. I can't imagine 14-16 hrs on MTB. Selene Yeager said the mountains here are tough :)

61 - 73 of 73 Posts