Disabled vet looking for bike sugestions

Discussion in 'Beginners Forum' started by sam2021, Feb 27, 2010.

1. sam2021

sam2021 New Member

I am a disabled vet who is 5'7" tall and am looking to get a bike to help loose weight and commute to work. Anyone have any suggestions. I have looked at a Globe Carmel but not sure.

2. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

At the risk of getting too personal, it would really help if you clued us in as to what your disability was. My friend's 13 year old rides with a prosthetic leg. Tara Llanes races downhill in what could best be described as a downhill wheelchair. I'm certain we can find something suitable for you.

3. sam2021

sam2021 New Member

I have a crushed vertebrate in my lower back and two replaced knees. High blood pressure and now arthritis.

4. fleeter

fleeter The Bearded Wonder

Geez... I crushed two of my vertebrae... not fun! I'm not sure, but I think recumbents take some strain off the back if you're not back to 100%... but the globe carmel would also put you in a position that isn't very aggressive.

5. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

Upright position, low gearing, and a plush ride.

6. baj32161

baj32161 American Expatriate Tavern Member

Greetings....I'm afraid that I am not going to be much help in bike suggestions but I woud like to thank you for your sacrifice.

May Providence be kind to you sir.

Regards,

Brian J.

7. sam2021

sam2021 New Member

Thanks guys going for the carmel just like the ride and i am not in a hurry to get anywhere. If i remember buildings dont run away.

8. baj32161

baj32161 American Expatriate Tavern Member

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

9. fleeter

Good luck, sam... let us know how you like it!

10. sam2021

sam2021 New Member

after the carmel became the third rail around my house. I went to the bike shop and they used the money that I had paid down for a used bike. I got a Shwinn Voyager gs and the extra money bought a plush seat. Going to give that a whirl and see if I can make a go of it. Wish me luck.

11. fleeter

Third rail... due to the price?

12. photosbymark

photosbymark New Member

Well just a thought but I would recommend a recumbent trike I believe for the back issues. It should give you the max in comfort and support for the injured back, may offer some ways to personalize the support for your specific needs and not having to balance to remain upright might help reduces some of the stresses.

One more thing and the most important thing. Thank you for your service to the country.

13. goldentouch

goldentouch New Member

I would also say try a recumbent either bike or trike. It doesn't hurt to ride one and see if it fits.

Thanks for your service.

14. momule

momule New Member

You've probably made your purchase by now but just for the record I would highly suggest that you look into a trike recumbant. I have a bad back and replaced hips and while I ride my 2 wheel hybrid a lot, my Catrike Expedition is amazingly comfortable, supports my back, is plenty fast and tough enough, and if you get tired and need a break ya just pull over and roll to a stop. If you have a LBS that sells them go in for a test ride and be ready to start grinning. A very good site for more information is Utah Trikes - Custom Recumbent Trikes Shipped Nationwide.