Disc Brake Conversion

Discussion in 'Beginners Forum' started by Louie4, Dec 10, 2009.

1. Louie4

Louie4 Injanir

I'll bet this has been asked before but I'll go ahead anyway. I have a Trek 4500 mountain bike that I got from my buddy who is an avid biker. It has the v-brake setup but it also has mounting for disc brakes. My question is, is it worth the time and the money to do the conversion or should I just keep this bike as a beginner bike? I don't plan on getting anything new until I'm more experienced. I've heard that it makes more sense to just buy a new bike with the disc brakes already on it.

2. HandsomeRyan

HandsomeRyan ♥'s Bicycles

Probably not worth the cost of converting. Just ride it as-is until you are ready to upgrade to a nicer bike.

3. BlazingPedals

BlazingPedals Member

I agree, save your money for now and get them on your next bike.

4. Louie4

Louie4 Injanir

Thanks guys. That's what I figured. I'll just ride this one until I feel that I'm ready to upgrade.

5. HandsomeRyan

Disc brakes are awesome (especially hydraulic but even cable actuated are better than most V and cantilever setups).

Nice avatar BTW. That show cracks me up.

6. Louie4

Louie4 Injanir

I've heard hydraulic is the way to go but even cable is a big improvement. I rode one with cable disc brakes and it stopped on a dime.

I'm surprised you watch that show. I have another avatar of Early on Jeepforum and no one knows what it is. It's a hilarious show and I'm a huge [adultswim] fan, except for the japanimation. I especially like Squidbillies because it takes place in the North Georgia Mountains near where I grew up.

7. dovitsky

dovitsky New Member

it depends, if you have mounts on the frame and fork for disc brakes, and you already have hubs with an IS-6 disc brake mount, then go a head and do it. A pair of Avid Juicy 3s or 5s will make a great first disc brake. Or splurge, a pair Avid Elixers are amazing, and wow, the the Elixers XX are just the best brake I have ever rode.

8. Louie4

Louie4 Injanir

I have the mounts on the frame and fork but the hubs will not accept the disc. After comparing the cost to upgrade and the cost of a new bike, I think a new bike would be a better idea.

9. Mootsguy

Mootsguy A Red Headed Stepchild

It is pretty simple, AVID BB7's are in your price range and are exactly what you are looking for.

However, for a few sheckles more you can upgrade your disc brakes to AVID Ultimate Linear Pull brakes and short of Juicy 7's or Hope's you will not find a better stopping brake. Plus they have the advantage of being super light.

10. HandsomeRyan

I stand by saying that it probably isn't worth it to add disc brakes to that frame but if you were really interested it looks like you could do it for roughly $180 for a [new] entry-level setup. [less if you buy used]

$70 disc brake set [not super fancy but should still get the job done]
    [​IMG]

$110 disc compatible rims
    [​IMG]

11. Mootsguy

Mootsguy A Red Headed Stepchild

Avid BB7's can be found under $50 per wheel.

12. retromike3

retromike3 retromike3

disk brakes?

I wouldn't worry about the disks quite yet. If you have V-brakes they will be more than adequate for you to learn how to ride. Disks are neat to have but, they won't help you know when and how to stop correctly on a mountain bike. The only way you develop those skills is to get out and ride your bike. It might be tough now that it is cold out but, be patient. I would spend my money on a wind load simulator or rollers right now. After I sign off I'm going to ride my rollers for a half hour. The more I ride the less there will be of me:)

A bicycle by itself just sits there. You are the most important component.

Mike Frye-the bike guy

13. Louie4

Louie4 Injanir

Thanks for the reply's guys. I was probably not looking in the right places for prices because I found some that were considerably higher. Still with that frame I might just wait. It's a good beginner bike so I'll take it like it is. I was curious because I used a buddies bike and it was pretty sweet.

Since I'm a noob, do you mean something to mount my bike to simulate a load so I can ride inside? That sounds like a good idea because my bike just sits on the deck of my apartment and it's hard to get out and ride after work because it gets dark and the weather.

If that's what you meant I'm guessing I can get something like that at my local bike shop?

14. retromike3

retromike3 retromike3

mag and wind load simulator

There are several of these devices on the market. They usually clamp on the back hub and let you "ride inside" You might need to get a "road tire" 26-1.5 slick. and I use a box fan and MP3 player.

the box fan sits about three feet away from your handle bars blowing on your upper body facing you. If your riding in a cold place like a garage you probably wont need to turn it on until you get warmed up a bit. I put together a set of "ride songs" that have a strong beat and are 15 and 30 minutes long. Fifteen for when I start thirty for when I get fit.

The classic way to train is rollers. They are three drums, two in the back and one in the front that let you "ride forever". The thing you have to do is pay attention to where your going or you will ride off the rollers. It good to start with a wall close so you can put your hand out until you get conformable.

I started with a Wind load simulator, the same fan set up but no balancing is required they also have magnetic trainers that don't make as much noise. either way its a good way to start the winter season. Plan on doing it every day at the same time. they are a lot less thrilling to ride so you might put a TV in eyesight. If your going to watch I would pick something that comes on every day like the daily show

Mike Frye the bike guy

15. dovitsky

dovitsky New Member

yes and no, yes, that is a good deal, and would work,
    no, those wheels are not very good, along with the brakes
    I would recommend getting a new bike, which would come with better parts all around.
    something like a Kona Blast would be a great choice.