Disc brake upgrade

Discussion in 'Beginners Forum' started by knucklehead, Feb 12, 2011.

1. knucklehead

knucklehead New Member

I have just purchased a Cannondale Bad Boy Lefty Disc. I want to upgrade the disc brakes. Any suggestions??

2. CTD50

CTD50 DX's Biggest Member

What do you have on it now? Gotta know what you're upgrading FROM!

3. knucklehead

knucklehead New Member

I am running the standard Deore hydraulic disc brake with 160mm rotors

4. CTD50

CTD50 DX's Biggest Member

I don't personally have experience with the Deore disc, but have heard good about it; if you'd rather have something else, look at the Avid BB7. The combination of simplicity and performance is pretty much unbeatable, not to mention price. (You can outfit 5 bikes with BB7 for the same price as what you'd pay for 1 set of hydro's, in most cases!) One thing I'd say is, when you use the BB7, use XTR cables -- the feel will be extraordinary! Any V-brake lever will do, but I've had a lot of happiness with the Tektro carbon levers (about $56); I'm presently running the blingy TRP carbons (NO slop in the lever AT ALL!), but the Tektros are awfully nice.

A setup like this for both wheels can be had for less than $150 total.

5. knucklehead

knucklehead New Member

Good advice, will investigate more

Cheers

6. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

If you've got that terrible brake/shift lever combo from Shimano, you may be stuck with hydraulics. If the brake and shift levers are separate, then the Avid brakes would definitely be a good choice.

What don't you like about the Shimano brakes?

7. momule

momule New Member

Other than apparently having some uncomfortably deep pockets, I'd want to know why you would want to upgrade from those Deore Hydraulics. Since you just bought this unique bike maybe you should think about riding it like it is for a while so you can justify an upgrade for a reason other than "just because I can".

Of course it's your money but.....

8. rogernelson

rogernelson New Member

Hydraulic disc brake need high maintain than the other also they are costly than the other...think on that..:cool:

9. wild

wild Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man

I have 2 mecanical disc brake bikes and the Shimano brakes on my Fuji stop much better than the BB7s on the Jamis, much better.
    My .02