Disc brakes in professional road racing

Discussion in 'Professional Cycling' started by joemorreale, Oct 30, 2014.

1. joemorreale

joemorreale New Member

There has been a lot of technology concerning the advantages of disc brakes on road bikes. Braking in the rain and not heating the rim/tire are a couple of them. I was wondering what the feeling were of the posters here about legalizing them for professional road race use.

I for one am dead set against it. Having been in criterium crashes where I have been sliced open by chain rings I can only imagine that the disc rotors will be sharp like a knife and inherently dangerous, especially for head wounds. I can see scenarios of many riders sliced practically anywhere with deep wounds that need stitches and will require them to drop out of stage races. Digit amputations are a possibility too.

Am I being to much a stick in the mud. Not wanting to proceed with progress? I would like to see weight limits taken away and the anything goes for time trial bikes so I don't think so.

What do you say?

2. Jahwarrior

Jahwarrior Member

Chain rings are sharp, like blade.
    Brake disc are not chain rings. (they don't have sharp edges) sharp like knife? Curious as to why you would say that
    my opinion:
    brakes are brakes: I just want a system that will allow me to slow or stop smoothly and quickly in all manner of conditions.
    My preference is disc brakes.

3. rola643

rola643 Two skinny Js Staff Member Admin Staff Tavern Member

First let me say I have no road racing/crit expericne So I can only comment on my perception. I'm slow to accept new changes like that. I just can't see the need for it to be honest but I think the industry will push it and we will see it in the near future. Kinda seems like the whole Di2 deal. Couldnt see the need for that but who doesn't use it now in the prefoesional ranks? We are good creating solutions for problems that don't exist. Sales and industry drive the gota have newest, hottest twist and putting ridiculous price tags on it calling it new technology.

I do love a good set of discs on the MTB though :)

4. davereo

davereo Active Member Tavern Member

Thats the only reason why they are going to be used in professional road racing.

5. rola643

rola643 Two skinny Js Staff Member Admin Staff Tavern Member

Yup, sadly true :)

6. kneedrachen

kneedrachen Moderator Staff Member Mod Team Tavern Member

I currently own bikes with a coaster brake, rim brakes, 90mm drums and discs.

I'll go with discs any day.

The coaster brake city bike, well, the brake is more of an ideal, kind of like world peace. Lovely, but not realistic.

Rim brakes: I have linear pull and dual pivots. They work for sure, but I cannot distinguish when the lock up point is and honestly, in heavy, heavy rain, they suck.

90mm drums. Sturmey Archers, but get above 60mph and you have to watch them; if you ride them they fade and the aero wheel covers just exacerbate the problem so you'll get more fade.

Discs: BB7s and Shimanos. I like the BB7s. Easy to set up and pretty damn bullet proof. Nice modulation and decent bite with the right pads. When they start to squeal and ding, it makes me nuts beyond belief. I'd rather ride the BB7s in the rain than anything else I have access to.

YMMV.

rushlake and Dos_Ruedas like this.
  7. MilesR

MilesR Mom's Taxi

8. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

Discs definitely have some sharp edges. It would just require more machine work ($) to drill them instead of using large slots, then round the sharp edges. Somewhere, someone has the magic formula of surface area for the pads to contact, vs surface area to dissipate heat.

It's certainly possible to create a safer disc. The question is, do we need one?

Dos_Ruedas likes this.
  9. DaFlake

DaFlake Well-Known Member Tavern Member

Discs are neat, but I think that it does add an addition threat to a crash.