Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody,
So I'm working on buying my first mountain bike. It's looking like it's going to be a specialized hardrock. However, the place where I was looking to buy it has the 2011 with disc brakes for $540, but it has the 2012 with v-brakes for $459. Would it be worth saving the $80 right off and upgrading to disc brakes later? or should i just go with the disc brakes right from the get-go?

Also, I'll be riding on the Oregon coast for the summer and the Idaho panhandle (south of spokane/cda) for the school year, so i'm assuming that because of the wetness, disc brakes would be a plus?

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
I have disc brakes on 2 of my bikes and realy like them, I feel thay are worth the money

·
Two skinny J's
21,179 Posts
IMHO it would be a HUGE mistake NOT to get the disc brakes! They make an incredible difference!!

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Go with the disks. The stopping power is far better than 'V's brake especially in less than optimal conditions.

You'll be hard pressed to find a high end MTB these days without disks.

·
Premium Member
5,352 Posts
+1 for the disc. The cost of upgrading will be way over 80 dollars in the future. If the fork and frame of the bike is not already set up to allow disc you wont have the option of the future upgrade.

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
I guess it depends on the disc brakes that are on the bike. I'd take v-brakes over really cheap discs, especially since I see new sets of Avid mechanical discs for under $100 on ebay all day long.

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
Hey everybody,
So I'm working on buying my first mountain bike. It's looking like it's going to be a specialized hardrock. However, the place where I was looking to buy it has the 2011 with disc brakes for $540, but it has the 2012 with v-brakes for $459. Would it be worth saving the $80 right off and upgrading to disc brakes later? or should i just go with the disc brakes right from the get-go?

Also, I'll be riding on the Oregon coast for the summer and the Idaho panhandle (south of spokane/cda) for the school year, so i'm assuming that because of the wetness, disc brakes would be a plus?
The base 2011 Hardrock Disc is equipped with Tektro mechanical discs. The "sport" model comes with Avid BB5's (also mechanical, but a much better brake)

Forget about getting the 2012 v-brake & upgrading to disc. It appears that there are no provisions for disc brake calipers on the fork--maybe frame too. Also, you will need to replace the hubs as well. Even if it were possible, a disc upgrade may cost more than the bike.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
How much would it cost to replace the worthless stock disc brakes with adequate units, ballpark? Is the price of the disc brake bike plus necessary upgrades still a better value than the V-brake model? Why is Specialized selling bicycles with brakes that are no good? They used to be a reputable company.

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
Tektro has come a long way, but I'll always know them as the squeaky brakes with poor modulation. In all fairness, you'll learn to be a better rider with them, since you'd not want to use them when they squeak.

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
How much would it cost to replace the worthless stock disc brakes with adequate units, ballpark? Is the price of the disc brake bike plus necessary upgrades still a better value than the V-brake model? Why is Specialized selling bicycles with brakes that are no good? They used to be a reputable company.
No worries, they are not "worthless." The Hardrock is an entry level bike with entry level parts. For normal XC stuff, the Tektros are fine. I bought a used Hardrock for my step daughter last year and have had no problems to date. They modulate better than rim brakes, have better stopping power, and no noise so far.

And like Brian already mentioned, BB5's are a cheap upgrade as disc brakes go. If you completely hate the Tektros (which I doubt you will) The Avids are the standard for mechanical disc brakes and less than two bills to upgrade both ends.

Ride on and keep the knobbie side down!:)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts