Two Spoke Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Administrator
9,948 Posts
Since everyone is adding community support, I should have mentioned that on much of the local dirt track races, triathlons and local charity rides, Jeremy brings the shop tent, a few tables with parts and stuff and does free bike repair and adjustments for those that are participating.

·
Registered
7,011 Posts
I cannot understand not being able to pull a crank .... unless it is an ancient model cup and cone or something, with the two-pin deal which has to be ....
It’s for a 2015 high end carbon bike.
YouTube says it takes a Torx tool but the shop that made short work of it said he believed it was a specialized tool for this company.

At any rate, we could find the size YouTube called for. However, we couldn’t find a tool, nor a carrier for a tool that would fit through the small hole in the crank arm.
THAT’S where I believe the “specialty” tool comes in. Something that can actually slide through the small hole and make it 2+”.

(I sure am glad kneedracen isn’t here right now)

No matter. We’re making progress now.

·
Two skinny J's
21,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
It’s for a 2015 high end carbon bike.
YouTube says it takes a Torx tool but the shop that made short work of it said he believed it was a specialized tool for this company.

At any rate, we could find the size YouTube called for. However, we couldn’t find a tool, nor a carrier for a tool that would fit through the small hole in the crank arm.
THAT’S where I believe the “specialty” tool comes in. Something that can actually slide through the small hole and make it 2+”.

(I sure am glad kneedracen isn’t here right now)

No matter. We’re making progress now.
Now there's a name I haven't heard in quite a while. I wonder how his youngest os doing.

·
Spin Spin Spin
3,934 Posts
I lean towards more online stuff doing my own work with the amount of bikes I have but still try to give shops a chance at some things. What I don't understand is why I can't get a service tech job at one. I can do everything necessary to kill that pile of bikes waiting to be serviced and make everyone happy... shop and bike owners. They have these jobs posted forever but I can't even get a shot at them. I've talked to them about the tradeoff for me with making less money is not having a 40 mile commute thru stupid traffic, the gas money and tolls and stress that goes with it. A work/life balance thing and doing something I love but it's like talking to the brick and mortar wall. I even volunteered to work for free at one as a try it before you hire it internship of sorts. I have no retail experience on my resume or bike shop either but damn, let a brutha prove his self. How do you get any experience when no one will give you a chance? Sux. I can sell cycling and it's associated accessories. I've been building, repairing, spec'ing, upgrading, riding bikes for 50 years. Fire my A if I don't live up to it and go back to waiting around for some certified guy with experience like you have been, geez.

·
Premium Member
8,414 Posts
Not for nothing, that sign is outside a KTM shop and amazon and alibaba are FILLED with knock off KTM parts and accessories at a frwction of KTM's MSRP. I sold my KTM earlier this year because of the pillaging KTM charges its dealers which is passed on to the consumer.

I refuse to buy stuff online and expect a shop to fit it: bike, car or motorcycle. If I want it installed by a shop, I buy it at a shop.

·
Two skinny J's
21,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Not for nothing, that sign is outside a KTM shop and amazon and alibaba are FILLED with knock off KTM parts and accessories at a frwction of KTM's MSRP. I sold my KTM earlier this year because of the pillaging KTM charges its dealers which is passed on to the consumer.

I refuse to buy stuff online and expect a shop to fit it: bike, car or motorcycle. If I want it installed by a shop, I buy it at a shop.
It's the idea of it whether it's KTM, Seadoo, BMC, Giant or Subaru. I'll never forget my experience with Trek many years ago. Paying 4k for my Madone, at the time, and with less than 500 miles the frame is destroyed from a failed RD hanger and they would not warranty it. They did offer me a complete bike at cost which was 1800.0 Is that REALLY a FAIR markup? I think not and since that day I've looked at the industry with a different perspective.

·
tall old member
1,316 Posts
I like local bike shops. I have a great one I buy all my bikes from. The owner is a great guy and he is willing to work on any bikes. I have seen people bring in all kind of strange stuff for him to repair. He recently sent me to another shop for a part that Trek no longer stocks. I always thought of my 2011 520 as still being somewhat of a new bike. I was shocked to find out my brake levers are obsolete. The guy he sent me too said he was sure he had something that would work. He went in the back room and was digging around in a tote and came up with exactly what I needed.

·
tall old member
1,316 Posts
I visited my LBS today for some tubes for the granddaughter’s bike. I asked how long it would take to get a new 520. He looked it up on the computer and told me September 2022. Now I don’t feel guilty about buying a Lynskey. The upside is my LBS will still service it and it’s American made.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts