Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering trading out my panniers for a trailer (or used in conjunction) and putting most of my equipment in a backpack. This would allow me to stop, stow the bike somewhere safe, and head off into the woods for some bipedal travel for a few days. Has anyone tried this style trailer with a Surly Disk Trucker with Avid BB7 brakes? I saw an AOSOM (low end, low cost, but to see if the concept works) and asked their customer service folks about it. They had no idea if it would work or not. (NOTE: could be at least a yellow flag on the product!) Long term I'm considering the BOB or the new Coho, but not ready to make that large an investment in the event it doesn't suit my needs.

Thanks!

·
Two skinny J's
21,309 Posts
I'd be more inclined to pull a trailer like that. I'd wonder how it tracks and stability tho.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd be more inclined to pull a trailer like that. I'd wonder how it tracks and stability tho.
Everything I've read says that it tracks well. It attaches to the spindle/axle on both sides of the rear wheel and pivots where the "hitch" meets the trailer. Just not sure if it would interfere with disk brakes.

·
tall old member
1,300 Posts
This is the AOSOM trailer I had in mind. View attachment 34576
How were the reviews on the trailer? I almost bought a Nashbar imitation BOB trailer one time when they had reduced the price to $60 and were offering free shipping too. I thought "How bad can it be?" Then I read the reviews, all but one person said the trailer fell apart on them. Not a good thing when you are touring. I bought a BOB, I didn't think the price was too bad.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,166 Posts
FWIW, I have an Aosom two-wheel trailer and a Burley Coho XC single wheeled trailer. I pull both with my disc-equipped Novara Safari touring bike. Due to frame design, I had to use a ~$25 Burley QR adapter to mount the Aosom's tow bar.

My 2-wheel Aosom cost $100 on fleaBay several years back. It's clearly a lower cost option. That said, it's stood up for some 1k mi of towing. It's heavy, but reliable. Be aware that it appears that spare parts for Aosom products simply do not exist. If something breaks, you have to improvise or buy a new trailer.

I can't speak to their single-wheel option, but would consider it based on my experience with my 2 wheel model. I initially went with the cheap option on the 2-wheel trailer because I wasn't sure I would get much use out of it.

Turns out, I love to pull trailers! Come time to go to a single wheel trailer, my experience with the Aosom helped convince me to bite the bullet and spend the extra coin for a Burley Coho XC. Thanks to the Aosom, I knew I'd use a trailer, potentially quite a lot. Without that, I'd have hesitated to spend the extra $$.

I've worked my way past 30mph with the Burley on pavement, and it's been nothing but rock-solid. It tracks wonderfully on and off road; I hardly know it's there, except on hills. The integrated kick stand is better than my bike's custom model.

Sorry I'm not able to comment directly on Aosom's single wheel trailer, but I'd never have bought the Burley without first towing my two wheel Aosom. Pull the trigger!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts