Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Riding beats running!
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For all you Do-it-yourself types out there. I was in need of a bike rack for my truck. Just sick and tired of laying the bike down in the back. I have a hard shell tonneau cover over the bed so just a simple mount wouldn't work.

Shopped the internet for a deal on a rack, but I like projects and I am cheap soooooo....

Found an aluminum leg from and old height adjustable computer desk that just happen to be the same size as my reese hitch. Drilled a couple holes, mounted a Hollywood and splashed on some paint. Wallah! Total investment $20

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
I'm sure your post would upset the French, but I'm more concerned about aluminum failure after being subjected to a lot more vibration than it was designed for.

·
Riding beats running!
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no worries, the tubing is almost 1/8" thick wall. We went to the beach for 5 days and I took my bike. 5 hour drive each way and it held up like a champ!

·
Cycling for life
211 Posts
Looks good. Keep and eye on it. I purchased a class VI aluminumn receiver for the Reese hitch on my truck to haul my boat. Two years later the boat rolled down the ramp trailer and all one morning after the aluminumn died from stress. I was lucky as I had just came from the interstate highway.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts