Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Two skinny J's
21,323 Posts
Ooooohhhhhh man.... I'm gonna kick back and open a cold one is see what sparks fly from this one. Good question !

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
I haven't seen a study on the subject but I'd assume so. Unfortunately I ride with a large, wide gray backpack that pretty much completely obscures the view from behind of any brightly colored jersey I might be wearing and it looks exactly like pavement, right down to the grease stains :eek: You couldn't design better road camouflage. :(

·
Two skinny J's
21,323 Posts
I haven't seen a study on the subject but I'd assume so. Unfortunately I ride with a large, wide gray backpack that pretty much completely obscures the view from behind of any brightly colored jersey I might be wearing and it looks exactly like pavement, right down to the grease stains :eek: You couldn't design better road camouflage. :(
Q, ya got me! I had to actually laugh out loud in my truck while I eat lunch...brushing sugar cookies from iPad now

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I always wear a bright yellow jersey. Drivers would have to be very distracted not to see me. And they can see me from a greater distance.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,174 Posts
I recently spotted this bicyclist in Sarasota Florida wearing this colorful clothing combination. Does bright attire translate into better safety?
I don't know about you, but when I'm out on the trail and/or behind the wheel of my car, I've noted over and over that I tend to see cyclists in hi-vis colors much sooner and more reliably than those in less eye-searing colors. As a result, I'm a fan of hi-vis on the theory that every little bit of added visibility helps.

·
Premium Member
5,352 Posts
I would suggest a helmet.

·
Registered
6,967 Posts
Earlier thus year, I was wearing a bright blue with American flag markings jersey up a steep hill. I had a bright flashing tail light (red) and a white helmet.
I thought I stuck out pretty well, until a vehicle pulled along side me to suggest a bright safety vest because they couldn't see me.

Unbeknown to my wife, she surprised me a few weeks later with a hi-vis jersey. I certainly hope it works. That's all I wear now.(I'm hoping she'll keep feeding the monkey ;) ) I also put some 3M reflective tape on my helmet.

I believe it helps, if only a little.
Still, nothing will help us against the young texting machines. They'll never see my hi-vis when they are looking at their phones.

·
Premium Member
8,414 Posts
I think the shorts garner more attention than anything else due to the faux pas. If I saw a cyclist wearing those shorts I'd stick a baseball bat in their front wheel.

Okay who took the bait?

I think hi-viz is an AWESOME idea. I don't think it will "save" you per se, as in a helmet, bu tI think if it just registers THAT little bit more for a distracted driver to notice you, it does its job. That being said, when I am on my motorcycle, I wear a hi-viz vest or jacket. We are required to but I do it anyway. I'd like to make it home to my family without a detour to the ICU. In addition to hi-viz, I think lights are an EXCELLENT idea. I do not think there is any way to be 100% visible, but I think it makes sense to stack the odds in your favor as much as possible.

·
Premium Member
5,352 Posts
I'll tell you what. I am not sure how old he is by looking at your picture but I can tell you he lives alone. No woman would let you out the door with such unmatched attire.:)

·
Two skinny J's
21,323 Posts
I'll tell you what. I am not sure how old he is by looking at your picture but I can tell you he lives alone. No woman would let you out the door with such unmatched attire.:)
Thanx I gota home and change now. Oh and not cuz I wore that out of the house this afternoon :D

·
215 Posts
Well I would assume that since road workers tend to wear the high vis neon green or orange safety vests during the day they must know something about the effect of high vis colors that maybe some people don't know.

Personally I wear white, it's not a high vis color but it's better then most other colors. When it's a gloomy day then I'l wear the lime neon green hi vis vest that I normally wear only at night.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
All I can say is turning down this road, way in the distance I could see a kid in a neon green hat. The color drew my eye, kinda screamed at me. LOOK I've been wearing neon yellow ever since cause it matches the bike.

·
Premium Member
5,352 Posts
We make aborist safety climbing ropes. We have a Hi-Vee florescent orange and Ultra-Vee florescent green. The engineering folk tell me that these colors are used because they are not present in nature so they stand out wherever they are used. Two arborist working in a tree hopefully one wont cut the others lines.

·
Two skinny J's
21,323 Posts

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts