Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Kerry-All Pouch is a versatile product used to provide weather protection for just about anything you want to keep dry and clean. The Pouches are made from strong woven polyethylene, 6 ounce weight, 12 mil thickness and a 14 x 14 weave.
It is black on the inside and silver on the outside with an Ultraviolet inhibitor coating for long life in the outdoors.

I'm looking for thoughts/feedback/questions on a potential new product- the Kerry-All Bike Pouch; a cover for one or more bikes mounted on the back of a car, truck or RV. The cover will have strong webbing 'belt loops' to secure the cover to the bikes and the vehicles with rope, twine or bungee cords. These covers will also be available for outdoor storage of freestanding bikes. Standard and custom sizes will be available.

·
Registered
870 Posts
First you're talking about bicycles. A legal vehicle of the roadways that will get wet, dirty, even muddy. Like a car or motorcycle they are designed for that. Even when being transported on the outside of a vehicle.

Second Anything that does not air to flow over and through the frame, spokes, etc. of my bicycle will be considered something that will increase drag and thus have a negative affect on fuel mileage. Not to mention how will a motor vehicle handle with something like a big sail catching the wind behind it as you're traveling, in some states 75 mph on the interstate system? The wind catches it wrong, and if it is a strong enough wind, you're looking at a dangerous situation.

Third certain parts of a bicycle are not supposed to be bound, squeezed, etc. Things like cables and cable housing. You start doing that and you're looking at putting bends and crimps in cables where they will not function correctly. Someone also might tighten this cover too tightly to the wheels bending a spoke or even a rim. Some bike frames are made of carbon fiber. If something is cinched to tightly to that type of material it may crush it.

·
Registered
104 Posts
There's a lot of air turbulence on the back of a vehicle as will. I've heard people say that they thought their stuff actually got dirtier with the cover on than it did with no cover.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Plus, any cover is going to be relatively loose. That means the bike will be sans paint when you arrive at your destination.

Most people just use a Chain Condom or similar cover, if they use a cover at all, and that's primarily to keep road grit off of the drivetrain.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I would also be concerned about a full bike cover blocking the view of my vehicles tail lights.

However, when transporting bikes in wet weather, I would be interested in something better than plastic bags to cover seats and bar bags.
Shower caps from WalMart. About a buck. Waterproof. Toss them when they wear out.

·
Registered
313 Posts
The Kerry-All Pouch is a versatile product used to provide weather protection for just about anything you want to keep dry and clean. The Pouches are made from strong woven polyethylene, 6 ounce weight, 12 mil thickness and a 14 x 14 weave.
It is black on the inside and silver on the outside with an Ultraviolet inhibitor coating for long life in the outdoors.

I'm looking for thoughts/feedback/questions on a potential new product- the Kerry-All Bike Pouch; a cover for one or more bikes mounted on the back of a car, truck or RV. The cover will have strong webbing 'belt loops' to secure the cover to the bikes and the vehicles with rope, twine or bungee cords. These covers will also be available for outdoor storage of freestanding bikes. Standard and custom sizes will be available.
I don't drive, but I have seen people use covers on their bikes while they're driving down the road. The most simple and recent was a sheet of clear plastic.

When I'm out riding and have to park my bike outdoors I use the following cover made by Topeak.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Great feedback, I appreciate all your comments. I, too, am concerned with the increased drag and impaired view of taillights.
I think possibly the most useful aspect of a cover, in general terms, is on the back of an RV, which usually means poor air flow back there anyway, and a wide enough vehicle that the light issue may not be as much a factor.
As mentioned above, it might be more useful to use the cover when parked outside in bad weather, or to cover the bike on a vehicle in bad weather, on a once in a while basis. I agree, I don't see it being the be-all and end-all solution for everyone all the time.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Another advantage to a cover is that it keeps prying eyes away from that $5000 custom bike. Less tempting if they don't know it's not a $200 Wal-Mart special...

·
Registered
313 Posts
Another advantage to a cover is that it keeps prying eyes away from that $5000 custom bike. Less tempting if they don't know it's not a $200 Wal-Mart special...
Agreed, there have been times when I've gone to the local library and have left my bike locked up outside of the library (and covered) for several hours. And other bikes around it have been stolen, but the thieves have never even looked at or touched my bike. Under the cover I also use two locks, a U-bolt and a cable.

I know that the thieves didn't look at or touch my bike because I've become friends with the staff at the library and they have a security camera that is positioned to watch the bike rack(s) (they're the upside down exclamation point type of rack) and they've watched as the bikes were being stolen, and have told me that the thieves didn't either look at or touch my bike.

And before anyone gets upset with the staff not stopping the thieves, it isn't their job to do so, but they do call the police and report it as well as burning a copy of the footage from the security camera to DVD and giving it to the police.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good point, Digital,
The staff could be putting themselves in jeopardy if they did try to stop a thief. These days, it seems like most brazen thieves are either high on drugs (dangerous) or coming off a high (even more dangerous). Some people here (and other places, I'm sure) have started going into convenience stores, etc. with a syringe full of blood that they say is HIV-positive. And people wonder why shop owners might keep a gun under the counter!

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
I don't know about bikes but I have had friends try to tow there race car on a opean trailer with a car cover on it and when thay took off the cover thay found that the paint was gon in spots from the cover was rubbing, I am talking a 4 layer soft cover
¢¢

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yikes! I was wondering if a soft inner shell would help, but after what you said, I guess not. You would have to make sure the bike cover was secure on the handle bars, etc. but it might still rub on the seat...

·
Registered
461 Posts
wouldnt worry about the damn bike, it can be repainted. no matter how exspensive it is! as long as u make the trip safely is the idea!

·
Registered
870 Posts
wouldnt worry about the damn bike, it can be repainted. no matter how exspensive it is! as long as u make the trip safely is the idea!
I am the type of cyclist, and I think there are others who will feel the same, that does not have the type of disposable income to have my bike repainted because a cover rubbed against it and wore the original paint off.

Why spend money on something like this when it can be avoided by NOT using a cover that will rub the paint off?

I spend enough money I my bike every year on things that are needed and unavoidable. Like new tires, chain, etc. This year I am purchasing a new rear wheel, the original one is at the end of its life. The wear and tear on these things is UNAVOIDABLE and expected when it is time to replace them. A paint job, or having a bike repainted because a cover wore the paint off is easily avoidable and should not be a necessary expense with owning a bike.

But hey, if you have the disposable income to throw around on a paint job for your bike perhaps you'd be willing to buy all of us these covers and then cover the cost of a new paint job when the time comes. Let us know, I'm sure there are others besides me who will take you up on that.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Any bike owners out there with a cover now?

There may be some truth to covers rubbing on paint, especially if the cover is not secured properly. I'm talking about a cover that is designed to be snugged down, not a plastic tarp thrown around it, flapping in the wind (we've all seen that).
BUT there are several companies out there selling different style covers now. There must be an owner or two on here with one of those. I would love to hear their experience with paint rubbing off.
Or if you know someone who uses one, perhaps you could ask them and post a comment on here.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Yes it can be painted but if you are collector a repainted bike isn't worth what an original paint job is and who know what might be considered collectible in 30 years. I never would have figure some of the old bikes we had would now be worth $$$$

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
in that case...

...you should hire me to build you a custom wooden case! We could use foam blocks to keep it snug and secure! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
313 Posts
Good point, Digital,
The staff could be putting themselves in jeopardy if they did try to stop a thief. These days, it seems like most brazen thieves are either high on drugs (dangerous) or coming off a high (even more dangerous). Some people here (and other places, I'm sure) have started going into convenience stores, etc. with a syringe full of blood that they say is HIV-positive. And people wonder why shop owners might keep a gun under the counter!
Agreed, I don't know if it's just an "urban legend" or not but I've heard that supposedly that there have even been people who have put HIV/AIDS tainted needles in pay phones. And as I said, at least they not only monitor their security cameras but call the police, giving them a copy of the footage. How many stores are willing to do that much?

It'd be nice if we lived in a world where we didn't need to lock our bikes up. I've heard that people in Japan will ride their bikes to the local train station, leave their bikes there unlocked while they take the train into the city, come back at the end of the day and their bikes are still there. Or need to have security cameras in place.

There is one thing that I've noticed, and that is that by and large when a bike is stolen from a library, school, or park that it's usually a crime of connivence, i.e. they're stolen by someone who is too lazy to walk home and are looking for something to ride home or close enough to home without getting caught. Or someone who like you said is high, or coming off their high or are looking for something to sell so that they can get high again.

·
Registered
313 Posts
wouldn't worry about the damn bike, it can be repainted. no matter how expensive it is! as long as u make the trip safely is the idea!
Come on, be realistic, how many people do you really think has the extra disposable cash to repaint their bike(s) every couple of months?!?

About the only one's that I can think of who would be able to afford to do so would be cyclists who have a corporate sponsor. And even those who do have corporate sponsors would quickly find themselves without a sponsor if their bike(s) need repainting every couple of months.

Which is why when I go places where I have little choice but to lock it to a rack that is in direct sunlight I cover it, to protect it from fading.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts