Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's easy to go 55 in a 35 zone, everyone else is doing it. Speed limits are set to increase safety of road users. Do you follow the herd or do you think for yourself when driving?

The math of speed. I believe a driver going 35 is much less likely to kill a bicyclist than a driver going 55. Less time to see the cyclist, less time to react.

·
Two skinny J's
21,369 Posts
When in Rome...:D

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rushing to the least common denominator? The common man America holds in so high regard is upon analysis a bit too common.

Follow the herd or lead by example?

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
We have police using unmarked cars of all flavors, including an Escalade. In town, or anywhere I might encounter non-automobile traffic, I tend to adhere to the posted limit.

·
Registered
7,011 Posts
In towns and back roads, I follow posted limits.
On the open highway, I lean toward following the old "reasonable and prudent" laws. If there is a lot of traffic, I'm at the limit or flow of traffic. If weather is bad, i'm under the limit. If it is a clear day and open road, Katey Bar the Door.

On the bike, I do not follow the posted limits.
Generally, I'm under the limit. ;o) However, when I can, I go over.
I always stop / yield at the proper signs.

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
I've driven like an old guy since I was young, I never intentionally go more than 5 to 7 miles over the limit, I would always do what ever it took to not get pulled over. (maybe a habit from my youth when I may or may not have been following all the laws to the letter) 1 ticket in 36 years of driving.:D

·
1,200 Posts
i am pretty good about running the speed limits in under 55 zones.. now when on interstate in POV i'll go a tad faster, though when working DOT around here been cracking down so i'll mind my P's and Q's

·
Premium Member
5,352 Posts
I drive at or just below the speed limit always. 50% of my driving is to work and I am never in a hurry to get there the other 50 is on the way home. I get home at 1am so I drive very cautiously on my way home because the bars are closing in the city the same time as I am heading out.

My wife enjoys driving so she drives during the weekends and holiday trips. She is a little heavier on the gas than me so she is impatient when I do drive. She is also hard on left hand turns and I have had to spend many weekends repairing the front ends on every car she has driven.

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
I'm old an boring, got a speeding ticket on 2009, and ever since, the cruise control sits at 68mph when I'm on the highway. Takes me longer, but if I've got my favorite podcasts, then its not that bad.

Its actually a lot less stressful too!

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
I'm old an boring, got a speeding ticket on 2009, and ever since, the cruise control sits at 68mph when I'm on the highway. Takes me longer, but if I've got my favorite podcasts, then its not that bad.

Its actually a lot less stressful too!
California is a different country. Parts of Utah right by me are 75MPH, and southern Utah has a few sections posted 80MPH. I've caught up to a UHP truck when I had my Goldwing, and they didn't seem too concerned that I quickly closed the gap on them, even though they were doing 85. We covered 396 miles in four hours on our return trip from Interbike that year.

·
Administrator
9,948 Posts
When we went to Illinois, last month, around 95% of the driving to and from was done on interstates. We set the cruise control at the speed limit and left it there. Everyone was passing us on the road but guess what? Illinois was still there when we got there and our house didn't go anywhere either.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
yes, why not. i'm a cyclist and hate being passed by a speeding car either in town or open country so i observe the speed limit when i'm driving.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts