Do you use Helmets?

Discussion in 'Activism / Safety' started by funetical, Nov 10, 2009.

1. Always

78 vote(s)
    74.3%
  2. Sometimes

15 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. Never

12 vote(s)
    11.4%
  1. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

I'm wondering who uses them. I always do especially after my wreck, but my friend that I rode with does not then laughed at me for looking like an idiot.

2. Smiley

Smiley New Member

Well he's the one going to be an idiot when he crashes and gets brain damage. Of course I use one, and it is a requirement for many group rides. It is just the smart thing to do.

3. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

Absolutely. Always. I had a friend nearly get a concussion in his driveway. So, I never leave home without it.

4. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

Was he just screwing around?

5. Xela

He was riding out of the garage. Clipped in the pedal. He had trouble unclipping as he was stopping, and just fell over. When his shoulder hit, it snapped his neck over and his head hit pretty hard.

6. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

Ouch. That sucks.

7. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

Al Wong was riding his BMX in a parking complex, when a car backed into him and knocked him to the ground. Very minor impact between the car and bike.

[edit] I guess I should have pointed out that it was Al's head hitting the concrete that led to his passing the day after his 18th birthday.

8. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

I read that. Tragic.

9. mtndoc

mtndoc New Member

Don't get on any bike, pedals or motor without a helmet...anybody who doesn't wear one is, as Smiley says an "IDIOT"

DrB

10. djcyberlegend

djcyberlegend Group rookie

All the time. Protect your melon. [​IMG]

11. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

I see less helmets on the road as opposed to more.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2009
  12. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

I live in a college town with 80,000 students. They rarely wear them on bikes, scooters, or motorcycles.

13. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

Although they should all be wearing them just to walk around.

14. mtndoc

mtndoc New Member

How true that is...I spent way to much time on college campuses for my own good, and seemed nobody wore helmets yet all rode bikes, including me, now I know better.

I rarely see anyone who is serious about cycling without a helmet, and rarely see those who just ride bikes with one, lessen there I suppose...see a lot of kids without them and CA law requires them to wear one...where's a cop when you need one...

DrB

15. Grape Ape

Grape Ape Younger than Hack Tavern Member

Growing up I never wore one and have the scars (and some would say brain damage):p to prove it.

Now If I get on the bike I have my helmet on. It has taken me way to long to get this smart. I would hate to have to start learning all over again.

16. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

That's funny. I do it out of habit now. It's like getting in the car and putting on your seat belt. I just do it without even thinking about it.

17. hamster

hamster Hamster on the wheel

I better use it all the time as I see the result of of the pool.

18. Xela

I just got my new Carmichael climbing training videos. There is a special on each one about Lance's comeback. Pretty cool footage and interviews, but there are scenes of him training WITHOUT a helmet. :confused: Surely he knows better! Plus, I would think Giro is a little peeved that he's not advertising.

19. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

I would imagine. I've seen pics of him riding without his helmet.

20. London

London Guest

I never use a helmet unless it's required in a time trial. I do not road race in a group nor do I ride in any organized rides. All my riding is solo so I do not have to listen to others telling me to wear one. I don't consider cycling a dangerous pursuit and ride with ordinary caution. Have never fallen or had a close call in all my years of riding. (I'm 52 and ride every day including the winter) I understand this will not be a popular postion on this forum but someone did ask the question.