Two Spoke Forums banner

Does 1/2" make a big difference?

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  cybersnow 
#1 ·
Have a bike on order in 27.5+, I understand the factory tires are 2.6" and max tire size is 3". I have been looking at the geometry and the 29" bike is almost the exact same bike. What I like about the 29" bike is that my tire range goes from 1.5" to 2.5" so I can have tires for the road rides and ones for gravel.

Any thoughts on whether the 1/2 inch difference in width really makes a difference? In looking at wheel diameters, I don't see a lot of difference in the 29er running 2.25" and the 27.5 running 3".

Am I missing something here?

#2 ·
I haven't tried 27.5 plus (many Bees) but understand it's getting to be a lot of tire. It's a significant difference, call it 22% but also bigger around and rounder, and one that is appealing to some or in some situations. just eye ball some tires. the 3" looks huge. It'll role over somewhat like a 29 and grip a lot, but possibly less nimble.
Here's some reading from better source then me. http://betterride.net/blog/2016/confidence-inspiring-mountain-bike-fun/

#3 ·
I haven't tried 27.5 plus (many Bees) but understand it's getting to be a lot of tire. It's a significant difference, call it 22% but also bigger around and rounder, and one that is appealing to some or in some situations. just eye ball some tires. the 3" looks huge. It'll role over somewhat like a 29 and grip a lot, but possibly less nimble.
Here's some reading from better source then me. http://betterride.net/blog/2016/confidence-inspiring-mountain-bike-fun/

#4 ·
Plus bikes handle different. They do roll over stuff pretty ease and are crazy stable.
Still I would ride 29x2.5 over 27.5x3 because the bike will be more responsive and ultimately easier to get up to top speed.
On sand or anything with really lose stuff the 27.5 X 3 will be more stable.
Downhill either should handle about the same. One other note the + tyre can be ran at lower pressure and thus has a larger contact area than just .5 inches more than the 2.5.
As far as tyres when replacement comes the non + ones are far more affordable. Also the wheels for the non + are lighter which means faster.
The + bike will give you more confidence on rough trails. And they are fun. I have one and love it. If only had one bike I would still get the 29 X 2.5 over the 27.5 X 3. Just my opinion. But I do have one of each.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.